anyone else not like Elend?

TousenShadowForged

I have read the the first 3 books 2 times  currently reading it for a 3rd and each time I just cannot come to like elend  and him becoming mistborn forced and terrible idea.

I find it funny cause I like Raoden in elantris  those two have some similarities but I find elend to be  more annoying and naïve.  I admire his love for books and change yet cant stand him kind of like Elhokar 

Not to  mention him executing his friend over the koloss yet  always trying to be "a diplomat" with every other enemy quite pathetic.

I know most would see a Vin x Kelsier cliché but I rather that had happened.

Raoden has no character growth, just power growth. He's a flat character that the story happens too. 

Elend, on the other hand, grows and changes. He becomes the man he has to be, instead of the man he wanted. He starts off naive and gets that tempered by responsibility, to the point that he punishes someone he held as a dear friend.

Raoden is a person simple and boring, where Elend has progression and a remarkably painful shift in perspective. 

2 hours ago, TousenShadowForged said:

Nothing to do with cliche, and everything to do with weird daddy issue/father figure relationships. Ick. 

First time reading, I wasn't a fan of Elend. Second time through I think I realised his struggle more with his character growth. I ended up loving that Elend gave Vin his trust. He wanted to know what she was thinking and all that but the trust he gave her was stronger than most relationships I know of. I think that's where he really wins brownie points with me.

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

Raoden has no character growth, just power growth. He's a flat character that the story happens too. 

Elend, on the other hand, grows and changes. He becomes the man he has to be, instead of the man he wanted. He starts off naive and gets that tempered by responsibility, to the point that he punishes someone he held as a dear friend.

Raoden is a person simple and boring, where Elend has progression and a remarkably painful shift in perspective. 

Nothing to do with cliche, and everything to do with weird daddy issue/father figure relationships. Ick. 

never saw them in that way lol

14 hours ago, TousenShadowForged said:

I always thought of them as father/daughter..... If that had happened I wouldn't have finished the series... Or kept reading Sanderson....

Elend isn't my favorite.... But I don't dislike him either... His character growth was the best in the series. Better than Vin's. (I always thought she changed too fast.)

• Chaos locked this topic