How related are the rhythms of roshar and people ability to hear the screams of those they killed?

Ashaman_Wade

Question

So I'm rereading OB and I'm coming across Szeth and his whisperers. Then Dalinar is only aware of his once he knows he should, after the memories come back. And the Singers are hearing their rhythms now that they are allowed the connection. 

How related are these 2? Is it a Rosharan thing? I know the rhythms "permeate" the cosmere and can be heard anywhere by listeners. What about Szeth? If he left roshar would the voices subside, or is his connection to the Spiritual real going to stick regardless of where he is?

Are there any other instances where people are gaining this connection without extreme death dealing? If not, is this then of Odium? Or another shard of equal anti-hero ness?

4 answers to this question

Only loosely. Szeth's hearing screams and whispers because he's not quite sane any more, and he can hear a little bit of the Spiritual Realm. The Rhythms are something involving the Spiritual Realm as well, but they're more cosmere-wide. The WoB below implies that anyone, anywhere in the cosmere, would have the same problems if they had done the things Szeth had done.

Blightsong

Is anything magical going on with the screams Szeth hears?

Brandon Sanderson

Uhhh, Szeth's screams. Uhhm, I'm trying to decide how to answer this. It is not, see here's the thing. What we would call magical may not be considered magical in the Cosmere, but it depends on your definition of magic. Would Szeth if he were on our planet and have done those things would he hear those screams, probably not, but would someone else in the Cosmere who had gone through what he had gone through hear those screams, yes.

Blightsong

So it has to do with the spiritual realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yea, mhmm, yea.

source

Edited by RShara

Did he hear the screams before he was revived by Nale?  He's imperfectly attached to his body at this point, leaving Necromonger spirit-trails as he moves (ala Chronicles of Riddick). 

If no, then it's another function of his Near-death experience and his current state.  If yes, then Id think it indicates that all Snapping-level damage is going to open cracks in your spiritweb, which in turn make you more receptive to outside Influence on that level/Realm (regardless of whether a Shard or Spren take advantage of that foothold.  

12 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Did he hear the screams before he was revived by Nale?  He's imperfectly attached to his body at this point, leaving Necromonger spirit-trails as he moves (ala Chronicles of Riddick). 

If no, then it's another function of his Near-death experience and his current state.  If yes, then Id think it indicates that all Snapping-level damage is going to open cracks in your spiritweb, which in turn make you more receptive to outside Influence on that level/Realm (regardless of whether a Shard or Spren take advantage of that foothold.  

Yes he did. He heard them every time he blinked his eyes, in WoR, when he was perched on top of Urithiru. But I think he's gone far far past Snapping level damage.

Edited by RShara

5 minutes ago, RShara said:

Yes he did. He heard them every time he blinked his eyes, in WoR, when he was perched on top of Urithiru. But I think he's gone far far past Snapping level damage.

Well there you go.  If emotional damage allows outside spiritual influence to bleed in, and we are all agreed that he more than qualifies, then I think all the qualification in the WOB is basically trying to say that Yes, it's the result of the Cosmere being a magical place and is an effect that would not exist on Earth, but that it's not part of a Magic System or any specific investiture, rather is a Realmic symptom of PTSD.