Can Nightblood Kill Odium?

Confused

Can Nightblood consume a Shard's full Investiture? Can he kill Odium this way? (Is Nightblood a "he"?)

I'm asking because I raised this question in my posted opus on what Odium's plan is and how he can be defeated. I speculated that this might be the means of his end.

Thoughts?

I think he possibly could, but would that mean he becomes Odium instead?  Either that or eventually the Shard regains sentience and you have another Odium.

And nightblood as odium would probably be worse, but hey maybe that's what the next set of the archive is about. oh dear God I hope not.

Thanks, Rshara, you make an excellent point! Let me see if I can work my way through it.

The bits of Shard keep the Shard's intent even after the Shard's splintering. (If Nightblood consumed the Shard, I guess it wouldn't even be splintering, just a transfer.) And if Nightblood itself were then shattered (in a non-Cosmere sense), then the bits of the Shard would simply enter any sentient being around. (This is what I believe happened with Honor - his splinters entered the Stormfather, until the Stormfather somehow released them - why the Stormfather is a sliver of Honor.) And if there weren't any sentient beings around because, say, Nightblood was thrust into a star's gravity and burned up, then the bits of Shard would coalesce into its own sentient being, with "bizarre effects" if I recall WoB correctly.

That only leaves two choices that I can see. One, widely scatter the bits of Shard so when those bits attach themselves, it will be to many different beings and the Shard's intent ends up diluted. Or recombine the Shards (which may be where Brandon is going.)

Because the problem with Adonalsium's shattering is that it left each Shard unbalanced by the other fifteen intents. So Odium became pure hatred, untempered by Devotion or Preservation or any of the other shardic intents. And if there's no way to destroy any intent, the only thing left is to balance them, kind of like what Sazed did with his two conveniently complementary shards.

Where's Khriss when you need him (her? it?)

But if Nightblood did consume Odium and "became" Odium, would it acquire independent mobility or could you keep Nightblood in its sheath, like a genie in a bottle?

Edited by Confused

I don't think that Nightblood could become Odium in the same way a human can. Humans are a separate unit of intelligence in and of themselves that can control a Shard. Yes, many humans have part of Shards related to their intelligence, but theirs does not come entirely from Shards, being more based on it.

Nightblood, however, is a Splinter of Endowment stuck inside a sword, no more. He is a large price of a Shard that has gained intelligence and has its own Intent. I view Splinters, because of their often having their own Intent, as mini-Shards. Therefore, I don't think that Nightblood could really hold on to Odium in any way. Unlike a human, which can process information without the filtering if an Intent and even still are molded by a Shard's intent, Nightblood is a little piece of a Shard. Big Shard is greater than Little Shard. As I see it, Odium would consume Nightblood before vice versa would occur.

Can someone tell me how human personify shard ,cause in first place they are created by it.

Like preservation created humans. Then how in first place he gain the sentient

I don't quite understand your question, but if you are asking how Preservation and Ruin can be held by humans if they made humans, the answer is that all Shards originally were held by humans from Yolen, the planet on which Adonalsium was Shattered. Yolen had humans before all this, and some of the Shards based their humans on Yolen humans.

I don't quite understand your question, but if you are asking how Preservation and Ruin can be held by humans if they made humans, the answer is that all Shards originally were held by humans from Yolen, the planet on which Adonalsium was Shattered. Yolen had humans before all this, and some of the Shards based their humans on Yolen humans.

Thankyou. Thats exactly what i wanted.

Can you tell me which novel stated this phenomenon and solid info on cosmere

Thankyou. Thats exactly what i wanted.

Can you tell me which novel stated this phenomenon and solid info on cosmere

Alas, these novels are not yet written. The best I can do is direct you to Cosmere 101 and the Coppermind wiki (which seems to be having issues at the moment). These should help. Also, if you ever have a specific question, the Question and Answer thread is helpful. I would also be happy to answer questions through PM, if you wish. :) Edited by GreyPilgrim

• Chaos locked this topic