Back Cover Flaps

Moogle

Way of Kings:

I long for the days before the Last Desolation.

The age before the Heralds abandoned us and the Knights Radiant turned against us. A time when there was still magic in the world and honor in the hearts of men.

The world became ours, and we lost it. Nothing, it appears, is more challenging to the souls of men than victory itself.

Or was that victory an illusion all along? Did our enemies realize that the harder they fought, the stronger we resisted? Perhaps they saw that the heat and the hammer only make for a better grade of sword. But ignore the steel long enough, and it will eventually rust away.

There are four whom we watch. The first is the surgeon, forced to put aside healing to become a soldier in the most brutal war of our time. The second is the assassin, a murderer who weeps as he kills. The third is the liar, a young woman who wears a scholar’s mantle over the heart of a thief. The last is the highprince, a warlord whose eyes have opened to the past as his thirst for battle wanes.

The world can change. Surgebinding and Shardwielding can return; the magics of ancient days can become ours again. These four people are key.

One of them may redeem us.

And one of them will destroy us.

Words of Radiance:

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

The ancient oaths have at last been spoken; the spren return. Men seek that which was lost. I fear the struggle will destroy them.

It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit.  Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves.  They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.

The Windrunner, lost in a shattered land, balanced upon the boundary between  vengeance and honor. The Lightweaver, slowly being consumed by her past, searching for the lie that she must become. The Bondsmith, born in blood and death, striving to rebuild what was destroyed. The Explorer, straddling the fates of two peoples, forced to  choose between slow death and a terrible betrayal of all she believes.

It is past time for them to awaken, for the Everstorm looms.

And the Assassin has arrived.

This is clearly written from an in-world perspective (which we have WoB on). Anyone have any ideas on who is writing it? My current top candidates are Hoid and Mr. T, but neither work well.

Hoid

Given that the back covers mention Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Szeth, and Eshonai, and we know that Hoid has been keeping an eye on at least three of them (Shallan since early childhood), Hoid makes an excellent candidate. However, "I long for the days before the Final Desolation" seems to imply it's a Roshar native looking back at the past, or else looking at the future with precognition.

Taravangian

Taravangian's spy networks are expansive, and there are two interesting things. First, this quote:

“No. It’s more.” They had survived. Taravangian stood up. “Wake every Alethi sleeper we have; send every agent in the area. There will be stories told of one of these bridgemen. Miraculous survival. Favored of the winds. One is among them. He might not know yet exactly what he’s doing, but he has bonded a spren and sworn at least the First Ideal.”

Taravangian bases this on his Death Rattle which speaks of looking for someone who survives when they should not. He immediately thinks of the bridgemen, but what's curious is that he knows to look for a Windrunner. I don't know how the Diagram predicted that one.

Taravangian has had contact with Shallan, and suspects her of Surgebinding. He has spies everywhere, and he's obviously keeping a close eye on Dalinar. As for Eshonai... well, it's hard to see how she might have been spied on.

Neither of these people really work, though they come close. Anyone have other ideas?

Edited by Moogle

Interestingly, at the Words of Radiance release, I asked Brandon to write in my book the name of who wrote these. He said it was too spoilery, so refused.

This seems like one of the deepest riddles of the books, to be honest. This is surely extremely important.

My initial thought was it's the writer of the AAA but the tone is far more storybook than that. The writer has a flare for the dramatic so I think it's not Mr. T and I also think these were written long after the events of SA which means it doesn't have to be someone that has access to the knowledge during the time. I feel it might be Sigzil since it's written like a storyteller and he seems to be a person that could survive.

I also didn't realize how well that Eshonai description leads into WIllshapers

Echoing what Numb said about thinking that the back cover flaps are written post-SA (or at least after the First Five arc).  It is also deeply connected to Roshar, so I would assume it's a native of Roshar writing it, or someone who's lived their so long they consider it their homeland, rather than a worldhopper.  So, honestly, I very much doubt that Hoid wrote it, even though the story-aspect of it fits him; the personal-connection is what's missing, and makes me think it's someone else.

Really, the more I read the flaps (which I've now done a half dozen times in the past several minutes), it seems like the narrator of a play--setting the scene and the mood for the audience.  But, more than anything, I think that it's Honor speaking.  The wistfulness, the not-quite useful information, and the longing for the way things could have been but aren't all remind me of the times Honor speaks to Dalinar in his visions.  The cadence, the rhythm, is off, but that's still my best guess for now.

But, more than anything, I think that it's Honor speaking.  The wistfulness, the not-quite useful information, and the longing for the way things could have been but aren't all remind me of the times Honor speaks to Dalinar in his visions.  The cadence, the rhythm, is off, but that's still my best guess for now.

The writer seems to have a good knowledge of current (past?) events, so unless Tanavast gets revived later on, I doubt it's him.

If it's written in the present, I think it might be Cultivation. A Shardholder seems to fit the apparent omniscience, and the overall pessimism ("may redeem us", "will destroy us") is in line with her turning her back on the people of Roshar. Further, there's precognition involved, at least in the first.

The problem with someone like Sigzil is that there's a strong implication that the writer was alive in "the days before the Last Desolation." If it's written in the future, it could be one of the Heralds. Or a member of the surviving KR order, if the theory that they don't age is correct.

The problem with someone like Sigzil is that there's a strong implication that the writer was alive in "the days before the Last Desolation." If it's written in the future, it could be one of the Heralds. Or a member of the surviving KR order, if the theory that they don't age is correct.

I lean towards the same thing myself, but I don't think the implication is that strong. I think that both Gavilar and Amaram would say that they long for the days before the Last Desolation.

In support of Taravangian, there is a curious similarity in wording between the Diagram and these:

There is one you will watch. Though all of them have some relevance to precognition, Moelach is one of the most powerful in this regard. His touch seeps into a soul as it breaks apart from the body, creating manifestations powered by the spark of death itself. But no, this is a distraction. Deviation. Kingship. We must discuss the nature of kingship. —From the Diagram, Book of the 2nd Desk Drawer: paragraph 15

"There is one you will watch" is quite similar to "there are four we watch", in my opinion.

I think it may be some spren, maybe the BondsmithSpren (Stormfather + probably Nightwatcher + …). Or the Aimians. Or one of the secret societies. Those 3 options aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

I think it may be some spren, maybe the BondsmithSpren (Stormfather + probably Nightwatcher + …). Or the Aimians. Or one of the secret societies. Those 3 options aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

I also think it's spren. The writer says the "Knights Radiant turned against us." Most humans mistakenly believe that, but the writer here seems to know a lot, and should know better. Unless it's a spren; the KRs really did turn against the spren.

In WoR, the Stormfather seemed to hate humans and not want Surgebinding to return, so I don't think it's him. Maybe the Nightwatcher, or maybe some spren in one of the Shadesmar cities we haven't met yet. The certainty that one of them "will destroy us," matches how Pattern feels about Shallan in the book; he helps her anyway, but expects her to kill him.

Could it be Nazh? Of all known worldhoppers, Nazh is the one who seems to be directly monitoring individuals we know as protagonists. He annotates a map with Wax and Wayne's locations in AoL, he sketches bridgeman glyphs and records Shallan's journey in WoR... could it be him, or perhaps Khriss?

Spren seems like a viable enough option, based on what is said above.

Could it be Nazh? Of all known worldhoppers, Nazh is the one who seems to be directly monitoring individuals we know as protagonists. He annotates a map with Wax and Wayne's locations in AoL, he sketches bridgeman glyphs and records Shallan's journey in WoR... could it be him, or perhaps Khriss?

Kind of repeating what Moogle said in the OP, but I don't think that the writer is a Worldhopper, as he/she uses "us" to refer to Rosharans. Thus unless there is a Rosharan Worldhopper we don't know about, it is not a Worldhopper, and that wouldn't really matter because he/she would appear as a regular Rosharan to us.

I wonder if these are compilations of Death Rattles. If you take bits of them, they kind of have the same flavor as those do. Regardless, the Rattles are reflections of real things, so the "we" referred to would still have to be an actual group, such as spren or a secret society.

I long for the days before the Last Desolation.

The age before the Heralds abandoned us and the Knights Radiant turned against us. A time when there was still magic in the world and honor in the hearts of men.

The way it's worded makes me think it is one of the secret societies  of Roshar. We don't know who is the leader of any of them, besides Mr. T being behind the followers of the Diagram. I doubt any of them are Heralds from what is said, but there are other possibilities of people who are very long lived, or somehow know the history well. The Sons of Honor were trying to start a Desolation to bring back the KR and Heralds, right? It could very well be them. Or the Evinsagers who were trying to bring back the KR as well

Edited by Levian

Some WoB that may be of interest.

Source:

Q: (This is CorwinofAmber's, I think) So one of the things I really like about this is that in the Ars Arcanum and the blurb on the back of the dust jacket, they’re not just Brandon Sanderson explaining the magic system, or Brandon Sanderson summarizing the book for casual perusing, they’re written in world by characters in the world, and I was wondering if you could tell us or give us a hint as to who wrote the dust jacket.

A: I can tell you it’s not the same person as who’s writing the Ars Arcanum, and neither of those are Hoid. How about that? That gives you something. I had to fight to get in world text on the back cover. I personally really don’t like summary blurbs. Those summary blurbs are either bland or they spoil too much, and they really get on my nerves. They’re marketing copy, not author copy. And so I fought and I fought and I fought. I won with Elantris, getting the prologue on the back of the hard cover, but then they didn’t do that for the paperback. But for the hardcovers of these I won, so I’m glad you appreciate that—I intend to keep doing that. But yes, they’re being written in world by a group of people on Roshar.

...a group of people on Roshar.

Interesting. So there's more than one...but the first one has a singular "I". Does that mean it's one person per book, or at least that each blurb is an individual of this group?

If they have more in common than just being the blurb authors, maybe the collective pronouns "us" and "we" are referring to this group, rather than the more general interpretations of spren or humans.

It's obviously Stick.   The mixing of "I' and "we" is a natural result of the whole tree/forest duality - I don't think Stick has a strong understanding of singular vs. plural.

When Brandon says its a "group of people" he's just being tricksy with us, as in the cognitive realm Stick considers itself to be people too.

I don't think the man who calls himself Taln is the writer--he's hardly conscious, and doesn't even know what's going around around him. His interlude makes it sound like he isn't faking.  

The spren would likely have the knowledge required, but Brandon specifically said it was a group of people. 

Which leaves either some group high up in the Vorin religion or a group we haven't met yet.

Just a minor point of clarification: how do we know that there are nine secret societies?

I haven't known this too, so I searched for that WoB:

So when at the signing, I asked Brandon just how many secret societies were on Roshar.

The answer: THERE ARE NINE CURRENTLY WORKING.

source

on topic:

The first "blurb" says:

The age before the Heralds abandoned us and the Knights Radiant turned against us.

From how I understand Syl the spren were not abandoned by the Heralds. The Heralds were not bound to spren. Thus I think it has not been written by spren (or The Ring). My guess are the Envisagers so I can give no evidence (only the feeling that there are some of them alive yet).

Edited by Meg

It seems to me like they are written where they stand - at the end of each book. I'd also like to believe that it could be one of the stone shamans in Shinovar. That area seems to be an exception to much of the way the world works, so perhaps it has been preserved and people have a better knowledge of the past enough to "long for the days before the Last Desolation" (paraphrase). We know that only a portion of the world survives each Desolation - maybe Shinovar was that portion. It would explain the difference in landscape and would allow them to have additional knowledge of things. They also have that whole Truth/Truthless business that is linked to the existence of Surgebinders somehow, and could all tie into the the "magic returning" and "redeem us" lines. 

Either way, if one of the stone shaman was writing these and they were written at some point right after each book, the line "The Assassin has arrived." could literally mean that Szeth appears in Shinovar and confronts them just after the end of WoR, which I think we suspect.

Is there a reason they haven't been suggested?