(Guesses) Nightblood's Powers on Roshar

Darkness

WoB

Q:  If Nightblood were on Roshar would he be a Shardblade?
A:  Yes, they are exactly the same thing. He is a Shardblade that is twisted and is a lot more powerful than normal.

Brandon has also commented that Nightblood could consume storm light as he consumed breath, but it is a little more difficult when crossing magic systems.

So let's have it! What are your theories on how Nightblood will be changed in adapting to life on Roshar? Of course he won't be a 'normal' shard blade because he isn't just a spren, he's fundamentally different; infused with shard power, but not wholly made of it.

I think first of all he will keep his intent to 'destroy evil' (which will lead to some very conflict-ridden scenes with Szeth, who isn't sure what to believe anymore and is somewhat of a wild card - even thinking of himself as evil most of the time).

Secondly, he will be able to cut and be blocked physically due to his physical nature, but will retain the ability to drain the shardic portions of people (like spren cutting the soul, Nightblood will drain it from a distance), thus making him more powerful than a regular shard blade  As a side note: I find it fascinating that Nightblood is able to drain shardic powers like Breath and storm light, and also feed on life-force, which is somewhat different (drabs are still alive without Breath, but the life force of humans on Nalthis, for one, was created with a little bit of a shard (Preservation)). What does that say about the relationship between life and  shards?

Finally, he will not have the ability to disappear into the cognitive (or wherever the shard blades go) realm and be summoned back like a regular spren. He's an originally physical creation, and must remain that way.

I say all this mostly because I think Nightblood is going to remain mostly the same as we know him from Warbreaker, because Brandon originally wrote Warbreaker with the intent of providing us with an introduction to Nightblood and Vasher. His powers will probably remain familiar, but just tweaked to the new magic system of storm light. This said, he is infused with shardic power. Spren of Roshar are basically living ideas that are given life by shardic power. Spren become more cognizant the longer they are bonded to a human. If Nightblood can bond with Szeth (a pretty big if) the way spren bond with Radiants, I think he would follow the pattern of becoming more aware and cognizant due to the permeating influences of Cultivation and Honor. That would make for a fascinating character development!

Since we know bonding a Seon would result in you gaining powers while on Roshar, and the Warbreaker annotations heavily imply that Nightblood bonds with people who use him once, I expect Szeth to gain the ability to breathe in Stormlight with Nightblood (or, at least, Command it with something like "Your Light to mine"). This makes the magic system seem consistent to the Cosmere-unaware: have a cool sword, gain magical powers.

I don't expect Nightblood to act any differently on Roshar. I expect most things he touches will disintegrate. It'll be great, and makes up for Szeth losing Gravity.

Since we know bonding a Seon would result in you gaining powers while on Roshar, and the Warbreaker annotations heavily imply that Nightblood bonds with people who use him once, I expect Szeth to gain the ability to breathe in Stormlight with Nightblood (or, at least, Command it with something like "Your Light to mine"). This makes the magic system seem consistent to the Cosmere-unaware: have a cool sword, gain magical powers.

I don't expect Nightblood to act any differently on Roshar. I expect most things he touches will disintegrate. It'll be great, and makes up for Szeth losing Gravity.

Szeth keeps Gravity, he just loses Adhesion.

Yeah, so Szeth is becoming a Skybreaker now according to Nan? If thats the case, why does he need Nightblood. Maybe Nan can pull some strings, get a spren to hook up with Szeth?

I honestly don't know, this tidbit has been confusing, but I think you're right about it not dissapearing.

All I know is Nightblood is essentially the same as a KR's Shardblade. However, his blade is much more powerful than the average Shardblade. Normal Shardblades can change shape, right? Well Nightblood is stuck in its form, sadly. However, Nightblood can turn everything it touches into black smoke, essentially destroying its cognizant aspect or some such thing.

What I do know is that Nightblood has much much more investment in it than a Shardblade, so when one crosses blades with nightblood, would Nightblood simply turn it to smoke? I don't know, but I feel like Nightblood has some sort of advantage against Shardblades.

Im just curious as to how many times in the third book Nightblood will even be drawn from his sheath considering the huge amounts of breath/stormlight he requires. In Warbreaker he was only actually drawn like what, 1 time? (cant remember).

AN also, since now it seems he will have to make due with stormlight it raises the interesting question what will happen if he is drawn and drains Szeth of all stormlight...

Can Nightblood absorb Szeths 'life essence' or will he just simply run out of stormlight? And if that happends what would that result in, a normal shardblade requires nothing, but if Nightblood have nothing which to draw upon would that make him a less of a shardblade to some extent?

Szeth keeps Gravity, he just loses Adhesion.

When Szeth is a Skybreaker, we'll talk. I see him bonding a spren being the ending to book 3. Until then, he'll need to be a force of destruction somehow. Nightblood is a good way to handle his (possibly temporary) loss of powers.

When Szeth is a Skybreaker, we'll talk. I see him bonding a spren being the ending to book 3. Until then, he'll need to be a force of destruction somehow. Nightblood is a good way to handle his (possibly temporary) loss of powers.

Ah, I thought you meant "as a Skybreaker", because you only mentioned one of his powers.

Spren are living ideas.

Nightblood is a living idea in a very similar way. He was Commanded and brought to live with the words - "Destroy Evil!". Just as Syl's focus is on protecting and doing what is right. Nightblood's focus is a bit odd - to destroy evil... ^^

If we are to compare him with other spren. I'd go for powerful spren like the Stormfather. We have WoB that Nightblood is far stronger than a regular Shardblade.

But since Nightblood is several times more Invested than a normal Sprenblade, we can expect some twisted things. I hope Nightblood is still able to destroy walls, instead of just cutting through them. So badass.

Since Nightblood acts exactly as a spren on Roshar. Szeth should be able to form a Nahel bond with him. That means Nightblood should provide him with some powers.. maybe.

Q:  How much more powerful is Nightblood than a a regular Shardblade?
A:  I haven't actually quantified that in my own mind so can't give an accurate comparison at this point. I will say that when he is fully consuming Investiture he can do some really freaky things.

A:  It would suck the Breath from anybody, and if they were unable to feed it he would feed on their soul.
Q:  So they would die.
A:  Yes. Anybody wielding Nightblood, he will suck their soul. For too long, he will eventually, if you draw him, he will suck your soul.

Yes, if Szeth has drawn Nightblood for too long and runs out of Stormlight, Nightblood will consume his soul.

Q:  Which is why Szeth can wield Nightblood?
A:  Eh, you'll have to see if … but yes. That could theoretically happen. You can use most of the magics on most of the planets to fuel the other magics, if you know how to do it, it is not easy

Szeth will have a hard time learning how to use Nightblood, unless Nale knows and teaches him some secrets and all.

Yes, if Szeth has drawn Nightblood for too long and runs out of Stormlight, Nightblood will consume his soul.

Szeth will have a hard time learning how to use Nightblood, unless Nale knows and teaches him some secrets and all.

[Jokingly] Firstly, Szeth is adamant that he already lost his soul. [/Jokingly]

Secondly, Nightblood consumes investiture. On Nalthis, that means Breath (part of Endowment). On Roshar, does that now mean Stormlight? Or will Nightblood actually be able to consume spren (part of Honor/Cultivation/Odium)? That would be truly be 'freaky'.

[Jokingly again] Maybe Nightblood will end up being the hero of the Cosmere when he consumes Odium to destroy evil!

Secondly, Nightblood consumes investiture. On Nalthis, that means Breath (part of Endowment). On Roshar, does that now mean Stormlight? Or will Nightblood actually be able to consume spren (part of Honor/Cultivation/Odium)? That would be truly be 'freaky'.

I see no reason Nightblood wouldn't be able to kill a spren if it hit it. Spren are sort of made of Investiture, so it seems very likely Nightblood would be capable of killing them.

Also, minor nitpick: Nightblood doesn't just consume Breath on Nalthis, it consumes the entire 'soul' of the person (or their spiritweb?), which seems to be made of Investiture. Breath is just one part of your innate Investiture (though we do have WoB that this might be wrong), so Nightblood actually consumes more than that when someone uses him. If Nightblood just consumed your Breath, Drabs would be able to use Nightblood without issue. They can't.

Also, minor nitpick: Nightblood doesn't just consume Breath on Nalthis, it consumes the entire 'soul' of the person (or their spiritweb?), which seems to be made of Investiture. Breath is just one part of your innate Investiture (though we do have WoB that this might be wrong), so Nightblood actually consumes more than that when someone uses him. If Nightblood just consumed your Breath, Drabs would be able to use Nightblood without issue. They can't.

I thought it consumed breaths first and when all of your breath was exhausted it started consuming your soul. Only after all of the breaths were gone though.

I thought it consumed breaths first and when all of your breath was exhausted it started consuming your soul. Only after all of the breaths were gone though.

Yes, I think that's how it works. I should have phrased "Breath is just one part of your innate Investiture (though we do have WoB that this might be wrong), so Nightblood actually consumes more than that when someone uses him" as "Breath is just one part of your innate Investiture (though we do have WoB that this might be wrong), so Nightblood actually consumes more than that when someone uses him until death".

Edited by Moogle

Yes, I think that's how it works. I should have phrased "Breath is just one part of your innate Investiture (though we do have WoB that this might be wrong), so Nightblood actually consumes more than that when someone uses him" as "Breath is just one part of your innate Investiture (though we do have WoB that this might be wrong), so Nightblood actually consumes more than that when someone uses him until death".

Does all this consumption of investure increase Nightblood's strength/power? Do we know if "he's" absorbing it or just using it to be awesome and expending it somehow..?

Does all this consumption of investure increase Nightblood's strength/power? Do we know if "he's" absorbing it or just using it to be awesome and expending it somehow..?

Good question! I don't know.

Apparently the black smoke that comes off of Nightblood is the Breaths it has consumed, but twisted. I don't know if he's using it for something or not, or if the black smoke Investiture is less than the amount that Nightblood takes in. Perhaps Nightblood radiates some Investiture, but stores more than it leaks? If so, the more use it is used, the more powerful it becomes.

Stormlight seems to dissipate when held, though, so I don't think Nightblood could hold Stormlight like it can Breath.

Good question! I don't know.

Apparently the black smoke that comes off of Nightblood is the Breaths it has consumed, but twisted. I don't know if he's using it for something or not, or if the black smoke Investiture is less than the amount that Nightblood takes in. Perhaps Nightblood radiates some Investiture, but stores more than it leaks? If so, the more use it is used, the more powerful it becomes.

Stormlight seems to dissipate when held, though, so I don't think Nightblood could hold Stormlight like it can Breath.

I get so excited thinking about the next book with Nightblood! Switching from Breaths to Stormlight for investure makes me think of all the possibilities, from granting surges or maybe even something new because obviously Szeth will have to be able to breath in stormlight again or NB will consume his soul.

Also an image I can't get out of my head is Szeth wielding NB in a highstorm unsheathed. Just a giant glowing conduit for NB to feast and wreak havoc on anyone or anything "evil" haha. Can't wait.

if Nightblood counts as a Splinter it should grant powers like a Spren albeit diff powers since it wld be a splinter of Endowment not a splinter of Honor/Cultivation .

Splinters of Honor/Cultivation grant Surgebinding powers.On the other hand  Splinters of Endowment like Divine Breath grant Returned Powers.

So that means that the wielder of a Stormlight powered Nightblood cld have the powers of the Returned.Fitting for Szeth who has now returned from the dead.
Edited by Zionite

if Nightblood counts as a Splinter it should grant powers like a Spren albeit diff powers since it wld be a splinter of Endowment not a splinter of Honor/Cultivation .

Splinters of Honor/Cultivation grant Surgebinding powers.On the other hand  Splinters of Endowment like Divine Breath grant Returned Powers.

So that means that the wielder of a Stormlight powered Nightblood cld have the powers of the Returned.Fitting for Szeth who has now returned from the dead.

Sounds solid to me

• Chaos locked this topic