Title Change - Sadeas and his Wife

Vasteel

Soo, I have basically been living on these forums since I found out they existed. I love reading everyones input and just recently decided to make an account to share my thoughts. That being said, this is my first thread and I dont think this has been mentioned but if it has I apologize.

Okay so there has been a lot of speculation and theories on what will happen or how the murder will effect Adolin and his character progression, but how will Sadeas' wife take the murder? With there being no heir does Sadeas' power pass to her and will it be temporary because of he gender? Considering she was his little spy master I'm sure she will have no trouble finding out Adolin murdered her husband and will likely retaliate.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any thoughts on this or if I should just get back to work. haha..

Sorry for the Spoiler title.

Edited by Vasteel

Hey Vasteel, interesting question.  My thoughts on his heir...one word, Amaram.  And yeah, I agree, his widow will likely try for some particularly nasty form of revenge, I'd guess.  Who knows, we've seen nothing to indicate that Amaram has married between Gavilar's murder and present day.  They could even end up with a political union.  That would be one seriously scary couple.  

Well, after the four sharbearers duel, Sadeas thinks to himself that Adolin is becoming too powerfull to his taste. He is afraid he may turn into another Blackthorn. Afterwards, he thinks he should find a way to make Dalinar weep and goes talking to his wife. I have always assumed he planned to take out Adolin one way or another since this would definitely harm Dalinar.

I believe Sadeas has been poking Adolin purposely throughout the book in order to make him do something stupid. He calls him "hotheaded" and "brash" on many occasions. I think he just didn't think it would turn out against him.

As for Sadeas's wife, I think she may be the one to unfold the truth since I do not think Adolin will come clean to his father. Too much at stake.

The knife and Oathbearer werejust thrown out a window and Adolin cut out of his cuff. It will be very easy to find out who went on exploring duty and since overwhelmed Adolin often wandered alone, well it won't be hard to add the number.

The knife and Oathbearer werejust thrown out a window and Adolin cut out of his cuff. It will be very easy to find out who went on exploring duty and since overwhelmed Adolin often wandered alone, well it won't be hard to add the number.

There are currently thousands of people in Urithiru. It would not be obvious at all that Adolin did it.

I'm pretty sure this will hit Dalinar harder. It's obvious that Sadeas turned on him, and so when Sadeas turns up dead, Dalinar will be the first person to start taking fire for it. Ialai might figure it out, depending on how much she actually cared about Sadeas and what his death does to her status.

Also, I'm getting kind of annoyed that this is becoming my role on the forums, though I'll take it easy on you since you're new. Even though this is a protected subforum, all newly created threads have their titles visible from the front page, which is how I got spoiled on Stormfather things way back when. Not everybody's read WoR, so I'd appreciate if you clicked the edit button on your post, hit "full edit options", and changed the title.

There should be/probably is a sticky about this somewhere...

/thatguy

Also, I'm getting kind of annoyed that this is becoming my role on the forums, though I'll take it easy on you since you're new. Even though this is a protected subforum, all newly created threads have their titles visible from the front page, which is how I got spoiled on Stormfather things way back when. Not everybody's read WoR, so I'd appreciate if you clicked the edit button on your post, hit "full edit options", and changed the title.

/thatguy

Thanks for mentioning this! I thought that too, but I haven't been here long enough to be fully certain about the rules.

Ahem, anyway,

On topic, I was pretty torn about how to view the situation. On the one hand, we (should) all hate Sadeas given that this is clearly how Brandon wanted the audience to feel about him. He's slimy, treacherous and downright rude. But he was also a very good foil and villain for our beloved Dalinar. So by eliminating him, I can't help but feel that Brandon played his hand a bit early on it, in a sort of way to pander to the audience. Almost as though he felt a need to give into what the audience wanted to see as a resolution to Sadeas' crimes. He could have *easily* put that in the next book and expanded on it a little bit. There's a sort of awkward and empty finality to Sadeas' death that just seems slightly... rushed? Yes, he had it coming. Yes, he's a bastard and deserved it.. but I'm almost a bit disappointed that he's gone because I liked having somebody to dislike.. (if that makes sense).

As for repercussions... I really do not see this boding well for our lovely Adolin. There's no way that he'll get off scott-free. I think that his decision was incredibly rash and foolish. Dalinar will probably be pretty unhappy and I think that Ialai will find a way to discredit everything that the KR are trying to do by pointing out his murder.

Something I remember from WoR was when Adolin did his first duel. The one where he basically beat the guy down so unceremoniously? He had a sort of malicious Thrill from the fight, unlike anything described so far. I'm curious to see where this takes his character development and to see if it warps his personality in some twisted, violent way.

We're probably going to have to stick to the topic of repercussions and Ialai here, since the other threads have already endlessly gone over the other details. As a quick summary, we decided that Sadeas had painted himself into a corner, going all in with his own life and leaving no heirs or anything, explaining his increasingly "evil" behavior as every single plan fails and nothing works for him at all. After a million failures he's grasping at straws, and Adolin realizes that the man who tried to kill him and his father several times over is all alone and asking to die. It felt rushed only from Adolin's POV to me, he was making a decision I always wanted him to make, and finally nobody was around to stop him and he was doing it while he still had the chance.

Ahem, anyways, I agree that this is going to cause a lot of problems, though I'm sticking to my theory that it'll be Dalinar's issue, not Adolin. The fact that Sadeas is now dead will seriously undermine a lot of Dalinar's work given proper cultivation, which any number of people could provide. Adolin isn't going to admit that he did it, so all the blame is going to hit his father, and it won't be pretty,

I also want to reiterate this. Brandon has done a superb job of ending a 1080 book with 37 pages of revelations that will have ramifications for books to come, and this is one of the biggest spoilers in those pages. Please change this as soon as possible so other people can enjoy those revelations as they come. (I just the other day had huge Captain America and Agents of Shield revelations spoiled to me by a careless facebook post by Magic the Gathering. It doesn't feel good to miss out on huge plot twists.)

/thatguy

I'm personally of the opinion that Ialai already knew weeks before his death. I think she's going to become a surgebinder, one that at least shares a foresight surge with the Truthwatchers. As always, my crackpot theories are based off only a few lines of text. 

"Let them die out there," he said. "All four. Ialai, make a report for me. I would like to know. . .Ialai?" 

His wife started, looking toward him. 

"Is all well?"

"I was merely thinking," she said, seeming distant. "About the future. And what is is going to bring. For us."

I'm pretty sure every time Brandon writes a small detail like this, he giggles like a madman. 

Edited by EMTrevor

That would imply that he wasn't always giggling like a madman.

What happens to Ialai now? Her husband is dead, so that's probably a blow to her rank, so I'm wondering exactly how much she'll lose to act is motivation.

/thatguy

I would like to apologize, I didn't even think of that as I made it and will make a very concious effort to keep the thread titles clean. I just assumed it's the WoR forums so it shouldn't be that badd... but if it shows up on the front page(which I always skip)...

I am very sorry! Apparently I'm /thatguy lol

That would imply that he wasn't always giggling like a madman.

What happens to Ialai now? Her husband is dead, so that's probably a blow to her rank, so I'm wondering exactly how much she'll lose to act is motivation.

Oh I would LOVE to see Ialai becoming a prime villain. I do think she has the balls and the wits for it. Her becoming a surgebinder fighting on the other sied would be lovely as we are getting short on villains.

I do not think the murder will be pinned on Dalinar as it is obivous he was not at the proper place at the proper time. I still think Ialai will go straight to Adolin. Dalinar is too big of a target, especially now he is a Radiant, but not the son. The son is easy to get to. I think Adolin may try to hide it at first, but he will come clean at some point. What may harm Dalinar is how he decides to deal with his son. No doubt on my part he will ask Adolin to break the bond with his sword and give up his plate. A full sharbearer does not get the chance to have a trial: they are executed. Dalinar will probably try to protect Adolin from execution even if he is mad at him.

Oh I would LOVE to see Ialai becoming a prime villain. I do think she has the balls and the wits for it. Her becoming a surgebinder fighting on the other sied would be lovely as we are getting short on villains.

I do not think the murder will be pinned on Dalinar as it is obivous he was not at the proper place at the proper time. I still think Ialai will go straight to Adolin. Dalinar is too big of a target, especially now he is a Radiant, but not the son. The son is easy to get to. I think Adolin may try to hide it at first, but he will come clean at some point. What may harm Dalinar is how he decides to deal with his son. No doubt on my part he will ask Adolin to break the bond with his sword and give up his plate. A full sharbearer does not get the chance to have a trial: they are executed. Dalinar will probably try to protect Adolin from execution even if he is mad at him.

I agree, I get a great villain-y vibe off of Lalai. I see her being quiet a significant character in the next book!

I'm pretty sure she has at most only one out of the two.

Oh, metaphor.  Never mind.

• Chaos locked this topic