Aon Ati

Awakened Lerasium Bead

16 posts in this topic

I've wondered about this for some time. Breaths and the right heightening can create a close copy of a shardblade. So what about a piece of lerasium, or at least something close to its effects? A 9th heightened awakener, the right type of metal, and a command with the right mental concept. Something like: "Preserve me using metal". It might not give access to all Allomantic metals, but instead a certain selection of them. Just a thought.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sincerely doubt this is possible. In the case of nightblood, the creators were simply trying to augment the preexisting properties of a sword so it reflected the properties of shardblades, but Lerasium is essentially a condensed version of Preservation's energy. As breath is of Endowment it seems unlikely they could use Endowment's power to create Preservation's power. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Godmetals are chunk of distilled power in solid form.

Those would be already so high invested to be hardly affected by other Investiture.

Of course this is in contrast with what we saw another Godmetal do...but for Brandon that godmetal is an oddity.

I am avoiding to go too specific because here we are in the Warbreaker subsection and it's stuff related to other series

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that the Lerasium bead would protect you just like an awakened copper bead, I doubt the bead would know or be able to rely on its Allomantic / Ferruchemical abilities. Perhaps it will form a metal disc as a shield.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like @Yata said, it would be extremely hard to invest a lerasium bead with breath since it's already so highly invested.

My question would be whether or not a godmetal blade (assuming you find enough lerasium to make one) would function like a shardblade (likely made out of tanavastium & cultivation's godmetal) in any way...

Edited by tmnsquirtle
surgebinding comes from TWO shards
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shardblades are not pure tanavastium... just saying. I believe they are a blend of honor and cultivation-metal

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 10:28 PM, kuiinteth of isaana said:

shardblades are not pure tanavastium... just saying. I believe they are a blend of honor and cultivation-metal

 

Thanks for reminding me. Edited.

In that case, there's also the question of if a blade of any single godmetal is any different from a blade made out of an alloy of multiple metals.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think you are missinterpretating OP's idea (except for the first comment).
I believe OP means creating an awakened metal with effects like those of a lerasium bead, through breath.

I'm not entirely sure if it'd work or not. I mean, investiture isn't all that different as you can use different kinds to power different magics but that's not exactly what is being proposed here.
Maybe you could replicate some of the effects of a lerasium bead to scadrial people. Probably to lerasium misting/mistborn. I don't believe it would make anyone a mistborn. Not even a Scadrial. I'm not really savyy in realmatics functioning though. May be spilling nonsense

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mah'alleinir said:

Well, I think you are missinterpretating OP's idea (except for the first comment).
I believe OP means creating an awakened metal with effects like those of a lerasium bead, through breath.

I'm not entirely sure if it'd work or not. I mean, investiture isn't all that different as you can use different kinds to power different magics but that's not exactly what is being proposed here.
Maybe you could replicate some of the effects of a lerasium bead to scadrial people. Probably to lerasium misting/mistborn. I don't believe it would make anyone a mistborn. Not even a Scadrial. I'm not really savyy in realmatics functioning though. May be spilling nonsense

I get off topic easily. Sorry!

As far as the OP goes, I'm torn. On one hand, we don't know that much about how Lerasium works, other than that it influences your sDNA somehow, so it should be theoretically possible (with infinite time, knowledge, and investiture available) to create something that has a similar effect. On the other hand, it seems extremely unlikely that anything from any magic system could create an effect that mirrors that of another system.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tmnsquirtle said:

I get off topic easily. Sorry!

As far as the OP goes, I'm torn. On one hand, we don't know that much about how Lerasium works, other than that it influences your sDNA somehow, so it should be theoretically possible (with infinite time, knowledge, and investiture available) to create something that has a similar effect. On the other hand, it seems extremely unlikely that anything from any magic system could create an effect that mirrors that of another system.

I disagree, Investiture often reflects other systems. Lightweaving exists on multiple planets, there is no reason to believe other magic's couldn't be replicated

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tmnsquirtle said:

I get off topic easily. Sorry!

As far as the OP goes, I'm torn. On one hand, we don't know that much about how Lerasium works, other than that it influences your sDNA somehow, so it should be theoretically possible (with infinite time, knowledge, and investiture available) to create something that has a similar effect. On the other hand, it seems extremely unlikely that anything from any magic system could create an effect that mirrors that of another system.

On the subject of what does lerasium actually do, I saw just yesterday, or the day before, a post where someone theorized rather well about it doing something to the consumer's connection part of their spirit web,. And someone then replied with the new info of a WoB kindda confirming it. I'll try and find it and edit it here later.

Edit: there Lerasium theory + WoB

Edited by Mah'alleinir
Mentioned link added
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kuiinteth of isaana said:

I disagree, Investiture often reflects other systems. Lightweaving exists on multiple planets, there is no reason to believe other magic's couldn't be replicated

You can't really compare a fairly basic aspect of cosmere magic and a godmetal. It's like comparing an AK-47 and an ICBM; in this case, I doubt that there is any substance in the universe that replicates the effects of Lerasium exactly because of how powerful of an effect it grants.

12 hours ago, Mah'alleinir said:

On the subject of what does lerasium actually do, I saw just yesterday, or the day before, a post where someone theorized rather well about it doing something to the consumer's connection part of their spirit web,. And someone then replied with the new info of a WoB kindda confirming it. I'll try and find it and edit it here later.

Edit: there Lerasium theory + WoB

That's a good point, but I'm hesitant to jump on the bandwagon because we still don't know a ton about Lerasium. It seems a bit asymmetrical that you can alloy it with the base metals to become a misting of those metals if it increases your total Connection to preservation. I suppose that a certain amount of Lerasium alloyed with steel compared to the same amount of Lerasium consumed straight would probably make you a much more powerful coinshot, but it still feels weird to me.

 

Anyways, here are a few WoBs that make me skeptical of the whole 'Lerasium-Connection' theory. Spoilered for length.

1. It rewrites your sDNA

Quote

Questioner (paraphrased)

What will an Atium-Lerasium Alloy do ?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Ah, I've been asked this before. There are a number of theories, but nobody's really sure, since there haven't really been any opportunities to alloy lerasium with atium. You can choose which one to believe. Most require an understanding of realmatic theory to comprehend, which you need to be a Shard or Splinter to even begin to understand.What Lerasium is, is essentially a hack for something like your spiritual DNA. It rewrites what your spiritual self is capable of. So, combined with atium, which allows you a glimpse into the vision of everything - past, present, future - the theories say it could do one of two things. It could either create a substance so volatile that it would have world-ending repercussions, or rewrite your "spiritual DNA" (his phrase, not mine) with atium's power. Is that a vague enough answer?

source

2. Becoming a mistborn is not the 'primary' effect of Lerasium (this hole in our understanding bothers me a LOT)

Quote

18th_Shard

So you have said that making someone Mistborn is not lerasium's primary function, that a Mistborn burning it would have another effect. Is this also true of its alloys?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

 

source

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/9/2018 at 11:18 AM, tmnsquirtle said:

Anyways, here are a few WoBs that make me skeptical of the whole 'Lerasium-Connection' theory. Spoilered for length.

1. It rewrites your sDNA

2. Becoming a mistborn is not the 'primary' effect of Lerasium (this hole in our understanding bothers me a LOT)

 

I have my share of problems with the theory but I haven't put them in order yet and that's why I didn't claim the theory was right.
As I understand it though, the things you mention are taken into account on the thread.
According to the theory, Lerasium does rewrite your sDNA changing the part involved with your connection to the shard it's alloyed. When it's consumed alone it augments one's connection to preservation making them a mistborn. When alloyed with a mistingmetal it enhances that connection in some sort of way that only works with the associeted metal.
That's what I undestood from the post

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2018 at 7:11 AM, Yata said:

Godmetals are chunk of distilled power in solid form.

Those would be already so high invested to be hardly affected by other Investiture.

Of course this is in contrast with what we saw another Godmetal do...but for Brandon that godmetal is an oddity.

I am avoiding to go too specific because here we are in the Warbreaker subsection and it's stuff related to other series

I think you may be confused. OP isn't saying awakening a bead of lerasium, their saying making a bead of lerasium via awakening. Unless I've misunderstood.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kidpen said:

I think you may be confused. OP isn't saying awakening a bead of lerasium, their saying making a bead of lerasium via awakening. Unless I've misunderstood.

Yeah I  misunderstood the OP :blink:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP: Probably not, but I think it entirely depends on how Nightblood actually works.  There's a popular theory that with Nightblood the Command itself forged a Connection to Ruin (via the "Destroy [blank]" keyword).  IF (big IF at this point) that proves to be the case, then Id say Yes, a Type IV Awakened entity that has forged a real Connection to a given Shard could (potentially) start channeling some of that Shard's Investiture and gain effects similar to whatever Magics of said shard.  With some caveats, like It would work for Preservation more than most because the metallic arts are a Spiritual Realm thing, absent the sort of local requirements like the Dor or a functioning Stormlight ecosystem. Also, if we are talking about an effect similar to the spren providing surges, then the Awakened object would still need a bond to a living mortal with a spiritweb they can anchor to.

Edited by Quantus
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.