[Theory] Investiture Reference Chart (Draft)

jaelre

The first part is not really a theory but a recollection of what is the source and what the focus of a power is, most of the work is done here. (http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7207-investiture-and-the-metallic-arts/)

The second part is basically saying that each Investiture is based in each realm on something that acts as an "anchor" for the power. E.g while Surgebinding is quite obviously powered by stormlight, I pose that the element on the Cognitive plane that allows this to happen is the Words.

The basic idea is layman's explanation vs. realmatics'.

It's VERY rough, and I'm kind of new to the Cosmere, so I'm hoping for either help or a debunking. Or that it suggests people something.

Investiture       AonDor             Surgebinding        Allomancy         Feruchemy           Hemalurgy      Awakening

Power                Dor3                   Stormlight               Mists(??)      Bodily Functions         Corpse's             Breath

Attributes

Focus                Aon                  Nahel Bond1               Metal                  Metal                    Metal +           Command

Location2

Physical     Geographical         One's actions5          Genealogy         Genealogy               Spike's             Awk.ned

Position                      (??)                                                                              Location             Object

Cognitive          Aon                     Words                    Metal's                Metal's                  Spike's            Command

"Signature"4        "Signature"4              Metal

Spiritual             Dor3                Stormlight (??)              (??)                     (??)                  Corpse's            Breath

Soul (??)

1 Wasn't sure how to refer to this, I meant the surges a binder has access to, but rethinking it, it seems that Nahel Bond is representative of that

2 The spike's, obviously

3 I'm not really sure of the Dor as the spiritual side, while I am as a source. I'm just not clear on what it is, probably

4 See the same topic

5 What I mean here, is how you act in relation to the Words. Wiki docet. And WoR.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here.  :) A few things to note:

1. I would say the Physical component of an Investiture is basically the same thing as the focus, i.e. that which allows the investiture to function physically. That would put the atomic/molecular shape of metals as the focus/Physical component of the Metallic Arts.
  2. I would say in general that one's actions are not so much part of Surgebinding as they are part of the Nahel Bond; if one's actions violate the Ideals, the Bond is broken.
  3. The Spiritual part of Allomancy/Feruchemy, I would say, is either whatever power fuels them, same with Hemalurgy, or one's Spiritual DNA. More likely the power, meaning the power of the Shards.

As a suggestion, you might want to add another row for the 'reservoir' of Investiture on any given planet, ie. that thing it sticks to really well. Gemstones for Roshar, metals on Scadrial, life on Nalthis, that sort of thing.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here.  :) A few things to note:

1. I would say the Physical component of an Investiture is basically the same thing as the focus, i.e. that which allows the investiture to function physically. That would put the atomic/molecular shape of metals as the focus/Physical component of the Metallic Arts.

I would disagree with this because not all foci are physical.  The focus for Awakening, for example is Cognitive, in the form of the Commands.

You're right. Although, in terms of Investitures we've seen, Awakening is somewhat of an enigma, as it is more of a part of life on Nalthis itself, and not really an acquired system. It is not really a true "system", like the Metallic Arts, AonDor, etc. Additionally, its power comes from only the Breaths within the person who uses it, not am external source. One could argue the same for Feruchemy, but I feel the powers or Preservation and Ruin are still fueling it, albeit not in so direct a way as in Allomamcy, etc.

I have a similar table going on my computer, with a bunch more stuff on it and a bit of a different layout. I'd like to point out some things you may want to attempt to account for.

sDNA - You have 'genealogy' listed for the Metallic Arts, but sDNA is important for many systems. On Sel, the geography isn't sufficient, you have to have been living in that location for several generations to get the sDNA. Then even when you leave, it remains in your sDNA (likes the Aonic Dulas, Galladen). Breath seems to be part of everyone's sDNA on Nalthis. sDNA doesn't seem to be an issue with surgebinding at all.

Spirit Web Tears - each person has a spirit web as part of their personal spiritual aspect. Strong positive or negative emotional experiences will cause that web to tear, and the tear is required as a conduit for the transfer of investiture in some systems. Known systems that require a tear are Allomantic Snapping, and forming a Nahel Bond. It is possible the Shaod requires a tear as well, as it has similarities to the other tear-based systems. The Dahkor monks may rely on torture to make spirit web tears for those bone protrusions (or it may be incidental - they might just like torture).

Gains - the Ars Arcanum of Alloy of Law separates the metallic arts into end-positive, end-neutral, and end-negative systems. It's worthwhile looking into these, and which magic systems fall into which category.

Forging, Bloodsealing, ChayShan, Dahkor Monks,Old Magic, Voidbinding and Fabrials are all other magic systems that we've seen that you can take a look at. Various amounts of information available for them. 

Atium, Lerasium, the Tears of Edgli are all physical objects known to have a direct physical connection to a magic system or a Shard.

Shardic Intent is important to the workings of many systems - Brandon has stated the shards have some conscious and deliberate influence in how their investiture can manifest itself in a magic system.

Atium, Lerasium, the Tears of Edgli are all physical objects known to have a direct physical connection to a magic system or a Shard.

And the gemhearts on Roshar. You have the Stormlight, but it must be collected (better word than stored) on a gem for it to be timely (as Hoid would like to say) used.

So, have we a matched pair here or am I seeing more than it has to it?

Also, the intent when Awakening is very important - the part which Vivienna and Vasher liken to 'moving a muscle'. This visualisation could be the cognitive aspect. 

As to the spiritual aspect, it doesn't seem you're doing too well there, eh? Maybe that could have something to do with SpiritWeb (sDNA)?

• Chaos locked this topic