women inquisitors?

king of nowhere

just a random thought here.

half mistborn were women, and nobles had no qualms sending them to fight. Mistborn were also valuable as inquisitors, because they'd be stronger; I seem to remember it was confirmed somewhere that the inquisitor kelsier fought was made from a full mistborn, but either way I am sure it was stated they were recruited preferrably among seekers so their bronze would be stronger.

So, for those practical reasons, half the inquisitors should have been recruited from women too. yet we see no mention of any inquisitrix. now that I think about it, there is no mention of women obligators either.

why is that?

possible reasons:

- only men were obligators, and inquisitors were recruited from obligators. this shift the question as to why only men were obligators, seeing as noble society was otherwise quite open to women with power.

- inquisitors turned men into the process (ewww)

- there were inquisitors women, butt with the eye spikes and everything else nobody ever paid it enough attention to notice.

I'm trying to find the exact quotes, but I believe we have WoBs saying that TLR only had male inquisitors due to preference and that once Ruin took control, that's when they stopped caring who got made into an inquisitor and women started to appear (You'll note there's several female inquisitors in HoA)

I have found this so far: http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?topic=4501.msg106609#msg106609

Lots of Female Keepers (one of the main characters in book two is one), no female Inquisitors or obligators (since the Lord Ruler was pretty much in charge of who got to do both.)  However, there weren't actually hard fast rules, so I could see a determined woman ending up in the Steel Ministry if she put her mind to it.

According to WoBs, there both were and were not Female Inquisitors.

Brandon Sanderson

Lots of Female Keepers (one of the main characters in book two is one), no female Inquisitors or obligators (since the Lord Ruler was pretty much in charge of who got to do both.) However, there weren't actually hard fast rules, so I could see a determined woman ending up in the Steel Ministry if she put her mind to it.

Footnote: Brandon has later contradicted this statement, saying that there were female inquisitors, just none on-screen.
source

Chaos (paraphrased)

Does being female alter the spiritual overlays on a person, so that a Hemalurgically imbued spike would need to be placed differently than in a male body?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. In fact, there are female inquisitors in the huge fight when Vin goes blasting through them, but he felt like bringing that out would have been distracting.

source

The second WoB, is from 2010 and is the more recent one. So I would say there were Female Inquisitors. It's possible for both WoBs to be accurate, if you assume that the Lord Ruler didn't create any Female Inquisitors, but more just because he chose not to. Whereas the Inquisitors that fought Vin towards the end were new Inquisitors made by Marsh being lead by Ruin. And Ruin wouldn't care who he turned, so long as he got Inquisitors.

• Chaos locked this topic