Who saved whom on the shattered plains?

Everstorm

This is something that has been bugging me for a while. I just re-read the chapter where Kaladin and Shallan fall into the chasm, and it is very unclear to me whether Kaladin saved Shallan or vice versa. On the one hand, Kaladin has all but lost his powers at this stage. On the other, nothing we know of Shallan's powers suggest that she could have saved him. 

The only explanation I can think of, is that Stormlight healed them both individually after they fell. Is that it, or am I missing something?

I think Shallan and Kaladin  used stormlight to heal themselves on their own.

Shallan thought about Pattern speculating stormlight saved her and here's what happened to Kaladin:

Like a drowning man struggling toward the surface, Kaladin thrashed for the Stormlight. He would not die this way! The sky was his! The winds were his. The chasms were his.

He would not!
Syl screamed, a terrified, painful sound that vibrated Kaladin’s very bones. In that moment, he got a breath of Stormlight, life itself.
He crashed into the ground at the bottom of the chasm and all went black.

he inhaled stormlight before hitting the ground and woke up surrounded by dun spheres.

So, I think no surge was involved and they didn't help each other; just survived by getting infused and healing.

• 2 weeks later...

They almost certainly each saved themselves, but since neither thought that the other was a Surgebinder at the time they both came to the (reasonable) conclusion that they must have saved the other as well.

Kaladin likely took longer to recover because he only had a tiny bit of Stormlight compared to Shallan.

We also have this WoB

Q:  How did Shallan rescue Kaladin when they fell in the chasm.
A:  She did not, it was actually Syl.  But he was in the process of breaking the bond and so she was able to get some Stormlight to him but that is what set it really poorly.  This bond was really a strain for her to use at that point, so it was her, but doing what she did just about destroyed her, which is why you don't her from her after that.

They basically each saved themselves, but Kaladin took a lot longer because of the weakness of the bond and the amount of Stormlight he managed to get.

• Chaos locked this topic