Elantris Chasm caused by Lord Ruler

Crash

For the longest time, prior to stumbling upon this forum, I had a theory that Elantris and the Mistborn series were set on the same planet. The reason being, the mention of people on another continent that the main characters did not know about in Mistborn. I thought that these people were the people in Elantris, and furthermore, that the chasm that suddenly appeared and ruined everything in Elantris was caused by the Lord Ruler moving and reshaping the world. I now know this is wrong, but I still think that the two could be related.

The way I see it, when the Lord Ruler was moving the planet itself around the solar system, this would have had effects on other planets, and if Scadrial and Sel are in the same solar system, then Sel could have been affected. By moving Scadrial past Sel, its gravitational pull could have affected the other planet, causing an earthquake, and therefore the creation of the chasm.

It couldn't be caused by Sazed or Vin from when they held the power, because the Mistborn series takes place after Elantris, but the Lord Ruler would have effected the world one thousand years before, which could put it, chronologically, when the chasm was formed.

We also know that Odium did not cause the chasm, and that it did not occur naturally. This might be easily disproved, however, if Sel and Scadrial aren't in the same solar system, but I haven't found anything to against this being a possibility.

Thoughts?

If I'm remembering correctly Elantris is set 400 years before Mistborn Trilogy and TLR did all the changes 1000 years before Mistborn Trilogy. Reod happened 10 years(?) before Elantris main story. But I might be wrong on those timeliness...

Could be possible, but based on where you are in relation to the sun, years would be different. 1000 years on Scadrial won't be 1000 years on Sel, if they are in the same solar system. We also know that Scadrial ended up close to the sun, which means its years would go by faster than years on planets farther from the sun. Depending on where the point of reference is for the 400 year difference between the two, this is still plausible. The point of reference could be from Sel, but I think the wording of the question asked to get this timeline would give more clues. If the time difference was also discovered in world, then my money would be on the 400 years being in Sel years, as it's apparently the most knowledgeable of the shardworlds. With Scadrial, presumably, being closer to the sun, 1000 years there might only be equal to around 400 on Sel. I could, however, by completely wrong.

EDIT: Weird wording

Edited by Crash

I can't help but feel that if Scadrial was in the same system like you suggest and the gravity of Scadrial affected Sel enough to cause the Reod, there would have been about a million other disasters like tidal waves, other earthquakes... I'm not a geologist or astrophysicist, but I don't think plate tectonics or gravity work that way. 

All the Shardworlds outside of Greater Roshar (which contains Roshar, Ashyn, and Braize) are in different star systems.

Actually I vaguely remember Brandon being asked about this and he said there are systems with multiple shardworlds (aside from Greater Roshar) but that we hadn't necessarily seen them yet.

And here is the WoB:

Question

Aside from the Greater Roshar system, are there any other multiple shardworld systems?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. You have not necessarily seen them though.

(source)

I can't help but feel that if Scadrial was in the same system like you suggest and the gravity of Scadrial affected Sel enough to cause the Reod, there would have been about a million other disasters like tidal waves, other earthquakes... I'm not a geologist or astrophysicist, but I don't think plate tectonics or gravity work that way. 

Fair enough for sure.  There would conceivably be a ton of other disasters.  My only argument would be that the land splitting up and the fall of Elantris would overshadow other disasters.  Just looking at the chasm being created and ignoring my theory, I would still assume that at least tidal waves would also be created, so I would think it's still plausible.

That being said, it seems like it's been said that they are not in the same shardworld system.  There's a part of me that wants to hold on to the "necessarily" and take that as it not being explicitly said in the books, but I'm definitely grasping at straws.

On a slight tangent, but related, what would moving the planet do to the cognitive realm?  Could that have affected anything on Sel if the cognitive realm was affected by the movement in the physical realm?

• Chaos locked this topic