Eshonai's Possible Order

callumke

I have long suspected as many have that Eshonai will be a (the first?) Parshendi Radiant. A new WOB from the DC signing seems to confirm this:

Q:  Is Eshonai going to be one of the Radiants?
A:  In the past, Parshendi were not allowed to become Knights Radiant. However, from what I've said, might imply that that can change. No promises.

The term not allowed is interesting, but I digress.

I think we can work out which order Eshonai might belong to, based on the fact that each of the 10 books is linked with an order of Radiants.

The front five are

Kaladin - Windrunners

Shallan - Lightweavers

Szeth - Skybreakers

Eshonai - ???

Dalinar - Bondsmiths

The back five include by most recent accounts

Lift - Edgedancers

Renarin - Truthwatchers

Jasnah - Elsecallers

"Taln" - Stonewards

The only two Orders not represented on this list are the Willshapers and the Releasers aka Dustbringers.

I reckon than Eshonai is one of these two. But which one?

Willshapers - Resolute/Builder

Dustbringers - Brave/Obidient

Personally, I would guess at Eshonai being a Willshaper.

What do you guys think?

Definitely Willshaper. In-world Words of Radiance claims Willshapers were adventurous types. That fits very well with Eshonai's love for travel and discovery.

By the way, I'm not convinced that Eshonai will become a Surgebinder/Radiant. But since all ten books of The Stormlight Archive represent one of the orders, I think Eshonai's flashback book will be associated with the Willshapers. Whether or not Eshonai actually becomes a Radiant.

Edited by cem

Ahh thanks. I had missed that quote.

And now, if there was an uncut gem among the Radiants, it was the Willshapers; for though enterprising, they were erratic, and Invia wrote of them, "capricious, frustrating, unreliable," as taking it for granted that others would agree; this may have been an intolerant view, as often Invia expressed, for this order was said to be most varied, inconsistent in temperament save for a general love of adventure, novelty, or oddity.

Certainly a Willshaper then. Does this mean that Chanaranach is going to be the last viewpoint character? Brandon has previously said we might get two heralds in the back 5.

Yeah, couple of days ago I started the thread with the idea that each book will feature different Radiant Order (and that Eshonai will be Radiant), although people said there that they are not convinced <_< I personally think that it's the most logical thing though.

I think he has mentioned it, but I can't find a reference right now. I think that he may have changed his mind about the back 5 several times - there was a possibility of Kaladin getting a second book. The four I mentioned above have all been confirmed recently, which is why I mentioned them.
 EDIT:

Yeah, couple of days ago I started the thread with the idea that each book will feature different Radiant Order (and that Eshonai will be Radiant), although people said there that they are not convinced <_< I personally think that it's the most logical thing though.

I can't quite see why people don't believe that she will be. I like the idea of being inclusive with the Parshendi, rather than rejecting them. I believe Brandon has confirmed that each book will be based around an Order, but again I am having trouble finding my quotes to back that up.

Edited by FireArcadia

On the Dustjacket Eshonai was named "The Explorer," right? Sounds tentatively Willshaperish to me, with their love for adventure. Also, given that she was pretty much the leader of the listeners she doesn´t fit obedient well. Furthermore she seemed, well, honorable enough to be a KR, if that makes any sense. So yes I like the idea of her becoming a Willshaper but it doesn´t have to happen.

Shen is also in a position to become a radiant but I think it's more likely he'll be a squire. Eshonai becoming a willshaper or even bondsmith would be cool. I can see her eventually becoming the "Dalinar" Listener but Willshaper prob most likely. 

I agree that it's likely she'll become a Willshaper if she becomes a KR at all, for the above reasons.

I will add something funny Willshaper may have the power of control or shape a target will(thinking Jedi mind tricks here).

maybe that will let her control her own self after she became Voidbringer and lost control to the red spren.

WoB has made it pretty clear that 'Taln' is not the Herald Talenat, but someone calling himself by that name.

Really? I'd like to see that one if you can find it. 

By the way, I'm not convinced that Eshonai will become a Surgebinder/Radiant. But since all ten books of The Stormlight Archive represent one of the orders, I think Eshonai's flashback book will be associated with the Willshapers. Whether or not Eshonai actually becomes a Radiant.

This, I could get behind and support. I'm fairly convinced that the Listeners cannot bond Spren. It was their own songs, after all. Also they probably see the Spren as traitors (Stormfather, at least, is referred to thusly) simply because they seemingly chose Humans over Listeners.

My guess for Willshaper is Rysn.  Figure it our on your own but I think her personality matches and spren seem to like her.  When a Parshendi bonds with a Spren they incorporate the Spren and change form.  They may have similar powers but they do not form a Nahel bond which is why the Spren "betrayed" the Listeners.  I believe that before Humans arrived on Roshar there were only Listeners and the Listeners were not corrupted by Odium because Odium followed Honor to Roshar. I may have my order backward there.

• Chaos locked this topic