Has Szeth Already Bonded a Spren?

Rlain

So, I had an odd thought I figured I could share.  I'm beginning to think that Szeth has already bonded to a spren, and that spren was trapped in the odd stone he was carrying around with him.  I don't know of any confirmed explanation for the stone, but his Nahel-Bonded Spren being inside would explain why it was so important.  

Him being unable to use the powers granted by the bond could have something to do with whatever was done to the spren that was trapped.  This would mean that Nalan would have had to swing by Taravangian to grab the stone, if he's to release the spren trapped inside.  

Thoughts?

So, I had an odd thought I figured I could share.  I'm beginning to think that Szeth has already bonded to a spren, and that spren was trapped in the odd stone he was carrying around with him.  I don't know of any confirmed explanation for the stone, but his Nahel-Bonded Spren being inside would explain why it was so important.  

Him being unable to use the powers granted by the bond could have something to do with whatever was done to the spren that was trapped.  This would mean that Nalan would have had to swing by Taravangian to grab the stone, if he's to release the spren trapped inside.  

Thoughts?

The only evidence that I can see of him having a spren is the screams he hears, though it sounds a little different than normal dead spren screams. I personally don't think we have enough info and background on Szeth to really figure him out. 

Edited by FlatLine

Szeth doesn't have a spren, unfortunately. Brandon has outright said that he doesn't.  We've also never seen a spren trapped in anything but gemstones, so I think one being trapped in rock is a bit unlikely. It's a good theory, but I really don't think it's true. The evidence is marginal, and Nalan says that all of Szeth's previous bonds to the world were broken when he died.

Pretty much what Kurkistan said. The Szeth interludes don't imply the Stone having any special power over him. The only thing he mentions is that if he doesn't follow orders his soul will disappear upon death rather than being tormented for all eternity for his sins. That threat of non existence is what keeps Szeth doing what he does.

Also, I Szeth was somehow compelled magically by his oathstone, I do think not Nalan / Darkness / Nin would be anywhere near as interested in him.

So no spren for Szeth...yet.

That is not to say that he will not get one in the future. Dalinar has murdered far more people in his life that Szeth has (probably) and stiull managed to bond the Stormfather himself.

If Szeth truly embraces his new life in the pursuit of Justice then I think he has every chance of becoming a Skybreaker in truth.

Edited by The Count

• Chaos locked this topic