Flashback characters for next books?

tanuki

Hi all!

I am sure I'm not the first to think of it, but I have an idea that we'll probably have characters of 10 different Knights Radiant Orders for the next books' flashbacks. So who would you consider the most possible candidates, if that's the case?

So far we have 2 books published and know about next three.

That'll be:

Kaladin: Windrunners

Shallan: Lightweavers

Szeth: Skybreakers

Eshonai : ?

Dalinar: Bondsmiths

Then, if it's true that Renarin have a book, there will be:

Renarin: Truthwatchers

Also I think it's very possible for Lift to have her own book, which will cover Edgedancers too.

So the ones left are Stonewards, Willshapers, Dustbringers and Elsecallers. For Elsecallers I REALLY hope for Jasnah, I'd like to know her backstory, and for Stonewards I'd say Taln.

So what do you guys think about that? And does anyone know what order Eshonai could be?

hmm, Szeth is not a skybreaker, he is simply a man with a shardblade, a strange one at that ;). Will he become one in his book? maybe.

its logic for me to think the same way, 10 books, 10 orders, but i have this strange feeling that it will not.

IIRC Brandon changed book 1 to be the only Kaladin book. We also know, according to Syl, that parshendi can't become surgebinders, so chances are that the books won't each be for a radiant order. Taln is confirmed a book, Renarin confirmed a book, and Lift was very strongly hinted if not confirmed to have a book. IIRC, there were to be 2 herald books (maybe one for Nalan/Jezrien as well?) A flashback book for Rlain or for Eshonai's sister would be great, and a Sadeas. Gavilar, or Amaram book would be amazing as well, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Jasnah had a book...

In one of the videos up for the WoR tour BS said that one book would be dedicated to each of the ten orders.  I don't know if that means that the flashback character in that book is definitely of that order.  Szeth would have to make some great changes in his life to fit into the Skybreakers because killing the stone shamans and blindly following orders doesn't seem very just to me and Szeth definitely doesn't seem confident.  Nalen made Szeth part of his vigilantes that Nalen has named the Skybreakers (Shallans mother and her brother Heleran also appear to have been part of this group) but a Highspren must choose Szeth in order for him to become a true Skybreaker. 

I'd bet money that the Willshaper will be Rysn the Thaylen merchant apprentice.  She fits the personality characteristics of the Willshapers and spren seem to like her.  I have no idea what a Stoneward or a Releaser would be like so I don't know who would be a good candidate.

Are we sure book four will be Eshonai, because we have confirmation that Listeners cannot form a Nahel bond with a spren.  When a parshendi bonds with a spren it incorporates the spren into its body which is different then how a Nahel bond works.

Another Word of Brandon! When asked about Eshonai becoming a KR, he's stated that it's never happened before, but it could happen. However, first, she'd need to get that nasty Stormspren out of her and get rid of Stormform.

I actually feel terrible for Eshonai. She was just trying to save her people and she got taken over by Odium for it. When she bonded with the Stormspren, I felt awful. Hopefully, if she gets a viewpoint book, she'll have gotten rid of it by then.

I don't think Eshonai will be a surgebinder.  I think if book four is her book than we will learn about the ideals and experiences of an order through Eshonai's experiences.  It seemed to me in WoR that Listeners cannot form a Nahel bond.  Instead of bonding in a symbiotic relationship with a spren like a human does a Parshendi incorporates the Spren into him or herself and gains a new form through this bond.  I'm not saying Eshonai can't be redeemed and can't help defeat her gods and Odium but I don't think she can be a knight Radiant.

I also have serious doubts that Szeth will ever show the traits necessary to attract a highspren to become a true skybreaker but in seeing Szeths failings as a Skybreaker we may see what would make a good skybreaker.

A. Brandon suggested that, while the Listeners could not traditionally become KR, it IS possible.

B. Each book will focus on a different KR order, and each book will have a different flashback character. Did he ever explicitly say that each flashback character will also be a member of that KR order?

C. When did he say Renarin would get a flashback book?

• Chaos locked this topic