Laral

infamousstorm

Since kal is returning to Hearthstone in the next book I'm curious weither Laral is married or not and what might happen between laral and kal or kal and his family, also how they will react to him being a lighteyes, captain of the cobalt guard, a shardbearer, and a radiant

Whats everyones thoughts?

I think this might have been asked in another thread, but I'll add my two cents here since I didn't there.

Bottom line is that I think Kal's Mom is more than she appears. Not sure how any of them will react to Kal, but regardless, I don't think Kal will have any relationship, except maybe friendship, with Laral. And that's depending upon how things ended up with Roshone and how involved she is with him at this point, if at all.

I'd like to think that it will be a very warm and teary-eyed homecoming for him with his Mom and Dad.

Heh, yea, that would be fun to see. 

"Father, the Knights Radiant are ret-... Oh. I see. Okay then. I'll go teach grandma how to suck eggs then*."

But I don't see anything happening with Laral. Or, I should say, I don't see her as a viable romantic interest for Kaladin. There might be something he still harbors for her, but I believe he has grown way past her. She was a child's / young man's infatuation, not his love.

* I wonder what the Rosharan equivalent of this idiom is...

Kaladin has slave brand - marking him as a cowardly deserter and light eyes = Shardblade

I'd say everybody would think, that Kaladin is an escaped slave, who somehow managed to steal a Shardblade, probably by murdering the Shardbearer in his sleep or finishing a gravely injured one on the battlefield. Still pretty unlikely, but what else is there? Stormlight magically healing the brand of release from slavery and not the slavery brand itself?

Edited by Kessler

It'll be interesting to see how Laral reacts to Kaladin's homecoming. I'm guessing that getting married to a angry and vindictive old geezer is not the best way to go. I actually feel rather sorry for her; she's under the pressure to conform to lighteyed standards, and that means leaving Kaladin. And getting married at the tender age of sixteen. I'm guessing she'll be neutral or happy to see Kaladin.

As for Kaladin's parents, I'm expecting anger from Lirin and love from Hesina. Both of them would be crushed to hear of Tien's death, but I think Lirin would be more bitter about it than Hesina. Kal was Lirin's only assistant and his great pride and joy. Learning that Kaladin is going to become a soldier - the very antithesis of what he wanted for Kaladin - probably broke his heart. Hesina, however, made sure that she let Kaladin know that she supported him in whatever he chose.

Either way, it will be a very emotional time.

I'm intrigued with the thought that Kaladin might be initially shunned because he's now a Lighteyes and basically shot up the rank. I agree that Lirin might be a bit cold at first though Kal's family is pretty level headed. Would be funny though if Lirin was somehow a student of Ym :P (or something that would tie him to the KR)

It'll be interesting to see how Laral reacts to Kaladin's homecoming. I'm guessing that getting married to a angry and vindictive old geezer is not the best way to go. I actually feel rather sorry for her; she's under the pressure to conform to lighteyed standards, and that means leaving Kaladin. And getting married at the tender age of sixteen. I'm guessing she'll be neutral or happy to see Kaladin.

As for Kaladin's parents, I'm expecting anger from Lirin and love from Hesina. Both of them would be crushed to hear of Tien's death, but I think Lirin would be more bitter about it than Hesina. Kal was Lirin's only assistant and his great pride and joy. Learning that Kaladin is going to become a soldier - the very antithesis of what he wanted for Kaladin - probably broke his heart. Hesina, however, made sure that she let Kaladin know that she supported him in whatever he chose.

Either way, it will be a very emotional time.

I think they'll be happy to see him. They haven't seen kaladin in so long. Also they already know about Tien. Kaladin informed them and then got hard core into training.

I think they'll be happy to see him. They haven't seen kaladin in so long. Also they already know about Tien. Kaladin informed them and then got hard core into training.

They may know about Tien's death, but losing a child is a huge emotional loss. Fingers start getting pointed, and blame becomes a very large issue. Parents who have lost children are often bitter and depressed for years after the loss. It's a heartbreaking thing, as awful as losing a parent. This, combined with the fact that Kaladin told them he wasn't coming home and continuing his military career probably hurt Lirin in more ways than one. At first, Kaladin just signed up so that Tien would be safe and not alone. Lirin probably wished with all his heart that Kaladin would come home after this, but he chose to stay with the army. Not only has Lirin lost Tien, he's also lost Kal, in a way. His son will no longer be the surgeon that Lirin wanted him to be so much. Fighting with Roshone over keeping the spheres no longer has a purpose. The struggle to ensure that Kaladin would go to Kharbranth was all for nothing. That sort of thing leaves a man very bitter and angry, even.

Now, will Lirin hate Kaladin? I don't think so. He's still his father, and he loved both his children. But he could be resentful of Kaladin.

They may know about Tien's death, but losing a child is a huge emotional loss. Fingers start getting pointed, and blame becomes a very large issue. Parents who have lost children are often bitter and depressed for years after the loss. It's a heartbreaking thing, as awful as losing a parent. This, combined with the fact that Kaladin told them he wasn't coming home and continuing his military career probably hurt Lirin in more ways than one. At first, Kaladin just signed up so that Tien would be safe and not alone. Lirin probably wished with all his heart that Kaladin would come home after this, but he chose to stay with the army. Not only has Lirin lost Tien, he's also lost Kal, in a way. His son will no longer be the surgeon that Lirin wanted him to be so much. Fighting with Roshone over keeping the spheres no longer has a purpose. The struggle to ensure that Kaladin would go to Kharbranth was all for nothing. That sort of thing leaves a man very bitter and angry, even.

Now, will Lirin hate Kaladin? I don't think so. He's still his father, and he loved both his children. But he could be resentful of Kaladin.

The resentment may come later. But the initial reaction will be happiness. Seeing their son again who they assumed was dead/they would never get to see.

The way the story is going Shalladin is looking more and more likely so Laral will probably be used as a plot device to show Kaladin how much he cares for Shallan even though he belives he can never e with her because of Adolin. By this point Shallan would have broken it off with Adolin (see the well reasoned arguments on th Shalladin thread's) and more agst will ensue.

Kal's parents will probably be happy-resentful-then happy again after explanation and showing of slave brands, eyes, blade/syl.

A conversation between Kal/Lirin/Hesina/Syl would be priceless, especially the quips from Hesina/Kal/Syl

It wouldn't surprise me if Kaladin's status wasn't a complete surprise for them. I mean, that a slave has elevated through the ranks to the position of a Highprince's guard captain is MASSIVE news. News of Sadeas' betrayal would have travelled beyond the shattered plains because of soldier's talking to their family etc.

Obviously, they won't know about Kaladin being a KR, or that it was him who received this promotion, but they might be like "Oh it was you that did all that!" 

I imagine the initial reaction won't be judging him upon his eyes, or his brand, or Tien's death, but it will simply be pure jubilation that they have at least one of their sons back. No parents who have lost both of their children will be unhappy when one returns. 

However, the state of them is something to be considered, not their reactions. Lirin seemed to be placing all of his hopes and strength upon Kaladin becoming a surgeon and escaping the small-time, spiteful village to become a great person, possibly even marrying into a lower-dahn lighteyed family. With the destruction of that hope he will be crushed. 

As for Kal and Laral, it could act as justification for his vengeance upon Roshone. If Laral is mistreated - which from what we've seen from Roshone isn't a stretch of the imagination - he would be following his oaths if he were to incapactiate Roshone (with potentially anything up to death), as long as he was protecting Laral. 

I think seeing Laral will be another growing up moment for Kaladin. She obviously had real feelings for him as a young woman. She wanted him to go to Kharbranth to train as much as Lirin did. Had he become a real surgeon, he would've been a high enough darkeyes that a union between he and Laral wouldn't be looked down on.

Obviously that all changed with her father's death. At that point she had no one in life to take care of her. She was at the whim of a greedy man who wanted her father's wealth for his own. It probably didn't seem so terrible when she was intended for Roshone's son, but I'm sure she never felt free to be herself even then. Then, with the death of the boy, life became a nightmare for her. She was now betrothed to a crippled old man and given no choice in the matter.

So, I'm willing to bet she will be ecstatic to see Kaladin come back as a lighteyed shardbearer(a Radiant even)! I think it will bring back the hope of her childhood to her. She will see him as her savior.

However, I think Kaladin will find out that he holds a lot of hate towards her deep inside him and he will crush her hopes and dreams. He will become to her exactly what he's believed all lighteyes(before Dalinar) to him. I imagine it will continue his growth on his Windrunner path to work through it.

His parents will be nothing but happy to see him. They knew when he left that his promise to keep Tien safe was going to be near impossible. I think Lirin might have a little resentment that Kal didn't come home after Tien's death, but I expect when he hears the story of Kaladin's life he will quickly get over it. I don't know how the parents of a man like Kal could be anything but brimming full of pride for who he has become and, more importantly, how he got there.

Edited by Shards of Mist

I think seeing Laral will be another growing up moment for Kaladin. She obviously had real feelings for him as a young woman. She wanted him to go to Kharbranth to train as much as Lirin did. Had he become a real surgeon, he would've been a high enough darkeyes that a union between he and Laral wouldn't be looked down on.

So, I'm willing to bet she will be ecstatic to see Kaladin come back as a lighteyed shardbearer(a Radiant even)! I think it will bring back the hope of her childhood to her. She will see him as her savior.

The latter is quite possible, but I don't think you're interpreting the first part correctly. Laral wanted Kaladin to become a soldier instead of going to Kharbranth, so that he might win a Shardblade (which was ridiculously optimistic of her, but ironically, is actually what happened):

She placed her hands on her hips. “I thought you were going to go become a soldier.”

Kal shrugged.

She rolled her eyes, hopping down off her ridge onto a stone beside him. “Don’t you want to become a lighteyes? Win a Shardblade?”

“Father says that doesn’t happen very often.”

She knelt down before him. “I’m sure you could do it.” Those eyes, so bright and alive, shimmering green, the color of life itself.

and finally

“It sounds like your father is forcing you to do what he wants, not what you want,” Laral said.

“That’s the way everyone does it,” Kal said, scratching his head. “The other boys don’t mind becoming farmers because their fathers were farmers, and Ral just became the new town carpenter. He didn’t mind that it was what his father did. Why should I mind being a surgeon?”

“I just—” Laral looked angry. “Kal, if you go to war and find a Shardblade, then you’d be a lighteyes…. I mean…Oh, this is useless.” She settled back, folding her arms even more tightly.

The 'become surgeon -> high nahn -> marry Laral' idea is from Kaladin's mother:

“An accomplished young surgeon of the right rank could draw the attention of a poorer noble family, one who wished money and acclaim. It happens in the larger cities.”

Kal glanced up at the mansion again. “That’s why you encouraged me to play with Laral so much. You wanted to marry me off to her, didn’t you?”

“It was a possibility,” his mother said, returning to her work.

I would imagine Kaladin's return will initially vindicate Laral. I don't really think Kaladin would hate Laral (he's attracted to the last point he see her, his enlistment, and he should be over the lighteyes-are-all-terrible phase after the chasm scene). Her life probably hasn't been particularly happy; it'll be interesting to see if Kaladin is sympathetic to her brokenness (if any).

Imagine the Alethi's reaction seeing a lighteyes with a slave brand and carrying a spear instead of a sword.

Shallan might give Kaladin her eyedrops to cover his lighteyes.

About him and Laral, will old flame rekindle? I hope not... I don't like Laral. Sure, they were young back then and she might admit her mistakes but that's not an excuse in treating Kal the way she did last time they met. And what about Kaladin's fascination with Shallan? I think when Kaladin sees Laral he'll be surpirse that he's not as bothered losing her as he was when he was a child.

I believe he'll see his parents again. There's still a mystery regarding their relatives, the ones who were helping them when Roshone was being a pain in the This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules. I think there's more about Hesina than meets the eye. Lirin might be angry at the start but not because Kaladin failed to protect Tien but because he abandoned his training in being a surgeon.

How about Kaladin in Kholinar? I don't have much thoughts on this... I just know he'll be awesome!

I'm not convinced we're going to see his parents again. To soon, I think, or to obvious.

I hope so.  Sometimes it seems like Brandon has to torture his main characters ...

Sadly, for Kaladin, I agree with these guys that going home won't mean any happy-happy family reunion for Kaladin… I think that the trauma of losing Tien (and are they also believing that Kaladin is dead? I can't remember him having contacted his family after becoming a slave…) and a continued conflict with the city lord will have had devastating effects on his family. My personal guess is that at least one of his parents are dead, possibly both, and the other has left or is broken in some way. One scenario I can imagine happening is that his dad is dead and her mum has returned to her parents. Though a sad scenario, I think it might be interesting with regard to the continued character development for Kaladin, unless Mr. S decides that he has suffered enough and wants to give him a break and start healing some of his emotional wounds, instead of making new ones.

With regard to Laral, which I guess this thread is actually about, I agree that I think she will have a role to play in Kaladin's storyline. I can also see the interaction between Laral and Kaladin being used as a way to develop Shalladin. My personal guess is that Laral will want to pick up/ start a relationship with Kaladin,  he will be a trade-up from Roshone both in looks, personality and social standing, and that Kaladin might initially tempted/flattered about this, especially if he is grieving about what happened to his parents, and him remembering his childhood crush (after all, we always remember the past more positively than it really was). This temptation will, however, pass, let's face it, she was a bit of a bitch to him, and he will move on, perhaps leaving her expecting more. 

If Mr. S is going to use Laral to develop Kaladin in any substantial way, such as Shalladin, I think it will require her meeting some of the other protagonists, namely Shallan, for example through Kaladin bringing her back to HQ to keep her safe. I can also see, however, her playing a smaller role in the storyline with limiting her interactions with Kaladin to his home town, where the issues between them helps him progress as a person and maybe get through some of the issues of his childhood.

I don't know to be honest, Kaladin is a man of honor and i can't imagine him cuckolding another mans wife ;)

• I don't entirely blame her for how she treated Kaladin, she was a young girl at the time and with her father dying... she was left alone and i can't imagine living with Roshone being pleasant. She was doing her duty and lets face it had no actual say in the matter. I just feel sorry for her.
  • I have this image in my head of Roshone having done something to Kal's parents and him kicking the door down in an epic bad chull entrance. Roshone growing pale and turning to dust.
  • Even if he has become a Radiant his father wont aprove of all the killing he has done ("you cant protect by killing") but i think his mother would just want her son back but the death of Tien will cause friction between them.
  • I think him being in Kholinar would be........intresting. Especially meeting the glutton priest.

I know Brandon will do us all proud and leave us feeling satisfied with the result whether it will be a happy reunion (which i doubt) or a heartbreaking tale. I hope on Kaladin's airborne adventure he meets at least one interlude character.

Sayyyy a certain tattoo enthusiast??

Imagine the discussion on imprisonment Spren :D

I hope Laral hasn't been twisted or abused in her marriage with Roshone. Guess I just have a soft spot for that kind of thing and never want it happening. She seemed perfectly nice before her fathers death and post death it felt like if she was kind to Kaladin she would be on the receiving end of Roshones abuse so she only did what she need to do to survive.

I'm not convinced we're going to see his parents again. To soon, I think, or to obvious.

I agree that there's a pretty big chance that we won't see his parents right away, because...

I think there's more about Hesina than meets the eye. Lirin might be angry at the start but not because Kaladin failed to protect Tien but because he abandoned his training in being a surgeon.

There definitely is more to Hesina than meets the eye. I almost forgot about this, but I think it is highly possible that Lirin and Hesina left town and finally went to Hesina's parents. Either that, or Konn's guess:

My personal guess is that at least one of his parents are dead, possibly both, and the other has left or is broken in some way. One scenario I can imagine happening is that his dad is dead and her mum has returned to her parents. Though a sad scenario, I think it might be interesting with regard to the continued character development for Kaladin, unless Mr. S decides that he has suffered enough and wants to give him a break and start healing some of his emotional wounds, instead of making new ones.

Either way, I don't think it's going to be a happy-happy reunion, at least not at first. How many years have passed? Four? More than that?

Put yourself in Lirin and Hesina's shoes: to have both of your only children taken away in one day (because of your own actions, no less, since Lirin taking the money is what started this whole thing), and having them sent off to the army would be devastating enough. Then, perhaps a year later, to get a letter from one son explaining that the other is dead, and that the first son will never return home again? Lirin was already close to breaking even before the boys left. I can only imagine that he is now a broken man. (Although, in that case it would make it highly likely that there's now room for a spren to move in...)

Hesina, on the other hand, I can see keeping hope (much like Shallan, actually). I'm going to guess that she's struggling to help Lirin get through his issues at this point.

Kaladin has slave brand - marking him as a cowardly deserter and light eyes = Shardblade

I'd say everybody would think, that Kaladin is an escaped slave, who somehow managed to steal a Shardblade, probably by murdering the Shardbearer in his sleep or finishing a gravely injured one on the battlefield. Still pretty unlikely, but what else is there? Stormlight magically healing the brand of release from slavery and not the slavery brand itself?

He's going to come flying in, light blazing in his eyes, wielding a Shardblade, wearing a Cobalt Guard uniform, waving a big fat letter of release around.

I think he'll be good.