Restares ad the riots in Alethkar

adbf

She shook her head. “Why don’t we hear from Him, Lhan? The Heralds said we defeated the Voidbringers, that Aharietiam was the great victory for mankind. But shouldn’t He have sent them to speak with us, to counsel us? Why didn’t they come during the Hierocracy and denounce us? If what the Church had been doing was so evil, where was the word of the Almighty against it?”

“I . . . Surely you’re not suggesting we return to that?” He pulled out his handkerchief and dabbed at his neck and head. This conversation was getting worse and worse.

“I don’t know what I’m suggesting,” she whispered. “Only that something is wrong. All of this is just so very wrong.” She looked to him, then climbed to her feet. “I have accepted your proposal.”

Pai is a perfect image of a sincere soul disgusted of an outrageous corruption by those who should care for the ideals she cares for. Pai doesn't need to be put on her path by somebody, she can do what she's done quite well all by herself. The situation in Aesudan's court is disgusting enough for any honest person to make a storm. But why not focus her attention entirely on the current problems, on current sins, on current ways to redeem? Why the very last question she raises is about some time as far in the past as the Hierocracy and the issue of why the Heralds never appeared then?

Of course it could be all by herself still. She is deeply concerned about the Ardents not doing their duty, i.e. about the Ardents betraying their calling, and it can easily lead her to questions about the very root of the corruption. How deep is the rot, how deep in the past the Devotaries were for the last time arguably clear of this Corruption? That Pai’s questions reach as far as the Hierocracy time, i.e. as far as the time when the Devotaries begin their existence, is a hint that she comes to the answer “never”. She could come to these thoughts all by herself. Possibly she could. Possibly but how probably, having in mind those who could help her? Those who are interested to help her and to use her.

Pai could come to those thoughts all by herself, but what if somebody carefully spoke to her? If somebody carefully asked her the right questions? Somebody who knows how to get the trust from sincere idealists. Somebody like the Sons of Honor. Because Pai’s last questions in her conversation with Lhan just stink of Amaram’s ideology. The craving for the return of the Heralds, this “But shouldn’t He have sent them to speak with us, to counsel us?”, which actually opens the way for the desire for a prophet, this questioning about the right to denounce the Hierocracy. It just stinks of some Restares’ crony having spoken with Pai. Probably even spotting Pai, assessing her mindset and carefully maneuvering her into being transferred into the Queen’s court, knowing that Pai will surely create a real storm.

“You won’t get the other ardents into trouble?”

“My problem is not with the ardents,” she said, offering a hand to help him to his feet. “I will simply try to be a good example for all to follow.”

Pai was executed the very next morning.

The riots started that evening.

Possibly the riots could have started without any instigators. Possibly but how probably? The revolution in Alethkar looks too much timely, to much on schedule. As if somebody knew about Pai coming and creating the revolutionary situation, so that the riots would be prepared.

Pai is too perfect a martyr. Exactly the type of martyr to create a revolution and found a font of sayings the later revolutionary ideology will quote when the need appears for them to justify difficult decisions. So who manipulated Pai into becoming martyr?

Cui prodest. Taravangian obviously would benefit form the chaos. But I don’t find it like Taravangian’s style. Taravangian more like removes all hope, so that he can come from outside as the only possible relief. Creating a martyr however is one of the worst things to do if you want to kill hope. A true martyr inspires broad masses of people to fight for something very very hard in quite difficult a situation. The Diagram could probably use a revolution as a long-term chaos-maker, having in mind that just now Taravangian’s hand are full of the Veden and he hardly would have the resources to fill the chaos in Alethkar right now. And the course of action through Faith strikes me as out for character for the Diagram. And Pai’s thoughts about the Heralds and Hierocracy have nothing I see could benefit the Diagram. The Sons of Honor though, they are a completely different beast.

If I want to restore the Hierocracy, I would expect my most vocal opponents will be who? The Devotaries. The nobility would not like to cede any power to the Church,  but they will most likely use the Ardents again for the vocal part of the opposition. So if I want to refound the Church, I will have to strike the Devotaries. The Ardents of the Queen’s court are just perfect for this goal - they could be as much minority as you’d like, but they are very very visible. They are ideal to be pointed with a finger as an example of how all Ardents are suspects to be corrupt.

And because the symbol of the revolution against Corruption is a true believer, it can be used for a much more devious ideological brainwashing system: A True Ardent denounced the corruption of Queen’s ardents. Therefore every true ardent will think and act like her. And every Ardent not thinking like saint martyr Pai will be suspect for corruption.

… And Pai was incidentally ominously open to revisal of the idea of the Hierocracy. It doesn’t matter that Pai herself never actually spoke in favor of the Hierocracy. The important part is that Pai’s words essentially killed the automatically unthinking opposition against the idea of Church with Prophets. Restares would need only a clever interpreter to justify a renewal and Reformation of Vorin Faith based on Pai’s posthumous legacy. I would think Restares will be quite capable to do so.

In the end of WoR Amaram is writing to Restares from the Shattered Plains via spanreed. This means that Restares is located somewhere else. Why so, if the Sons know that the most crucial events are now at the Shattered plains? If the Ghostbloods and Taravangian regard Restares as the leader of his group, why is he absent from the center of events? He would have a perfect place as the Stormwarden in Amaram’s staff, as he was when we saw him last. So Restares must have good reason to be somewhere else, he should have important job to do.

Restares was last seen in Alethkar, with Amaram. The warcamps are know the second capital of the kingdom and the true center of power. What will be then the other most important place in the Kingdom? The capital of course. So what is the most probable location Restares will like to be?

Back to the Reformation of Vorin Faith: a revolution will need spiritual leaders. Ardents are know discredited because of the crowd at the queen’s court. Educated scholars are usually and traditionally lighteyed ladies - that places them in the other group of targets of the revolution, as part of lighteye establishment. Which group of learned people remains? The Stormwardens. The same group that is notoriously frowned upon by the Ardents, i.e. who now will be least suspect.

Restares is a Stormwarden himself. As this group is quite a recent development, there is too good possibility that Restares was heavily involved in founding and organizing the Stormwardens as a group. I don’t think this means all Stormwardens to be SoH. Even far from the majority of them would be in the secret society. Just like most Kharbrant surgeons wouldn’t be initiated in the Diagram. But what are the Stormwardens if not a living proof for Joe Everybody to see, that not every prophecy is bad, but some predicting is Okay!

If this theory is true, I will expect in the next book that the riots in Alethkar will have very strong religious flavor, a full reformation of the Vorin Faith, as popular and as violent as the 30-years war, and this reformations will be spearheaded by some Stormwardens.

Edited by adbf

I like your thoughts on the issue. It seems likely Pai is a Son(Daughter) of Honor. I like to think that the conflict back in Kholinar will lead our heroes away from the Shattered Plains finally. I've gotten just a little tired of the place. Leave a Highprince(likely the one Shallan is hanging out with. Sebariel?) there to start farming greatshells and get the Radiants to quell the riots while avoiding darkness and learning more about the worlds secret societies.

I like this! Upvote!

I do have some questions. 

Do we really know that Restares was in Alethkar with Amaram?  I think Restares might have been communicating w/Amaram via spanreed. 

Could Restares be Mr. T?  They both seem to use stormwardens.  Mr. T doesn't want his real identity known.  As pointed out above, Pai's actions coinciding with Szeth's second attempt on Dalinar and Graves attempt on Elhokar stinks to high Braise. 

I like this! Upvote!

I do have some questions.

Do we really know that Restares was in Alethkar with Amaram? I think Restares might have been communicating w/Amaram via spanreed.

Could Restares be Mr. T? They both seem to use stormwardens. Mr. T doesn't want his real identity known. As pointed out above, Pai's actions coinciding with Szeth's second attempt on Dalinar and Graves attempt on Elhokar stinks to high Braise.

Dalinar knows both Mr T and Restares personally. So it is extremely unlikely that they are the same person unless Restares was killed and replaced to take control of the SoH.

Really?  Where is that shown?  I totally missed it. 

Sorry I meant Gavilar not Dalinar. Mr. T says that Gavilar confided in him about his visions. And while fighting Szeth, he wonders who couldve sent the assassin. One of the names he comes up with is Restares. He is also mentioned by Dalinar as someone very important in Alethi politics. 

Sorry I meant Gavilar not Dalinar. Mr. T says that Gavilar confided in him about his visions. And while fighting Szeth, he wonders who couldve sent the assassin. One of the names he comes up with is Restares. He is also mentioned by Dalinar as someone very important in Alethi politics. 

Sure.  The name is known.  Is it associated with a known person?  If so, I am not aware.  AFAIK, it could be a code name for the head of the Sons of Honor, that nobody outside the organization knows the real identity of, in which case, it could be Mr. T. 

Do we really know that Restares was in Alethkar with Amaram? I think Restares might have been communicating w/Amaram via spanreed.

I see, there is really a loophole in my reasoning here: I assumed Restares was there with Amaram in the scene of Kaladin’s enslaving on the base of Restares’ heavy involvement in the discussion what to do with Kaladin. (“It took hours to decide, but Restares is right—this is what must be done. For the good of Alethkar.” - in Amaram’s own words). But of course Amaram could communicate with Restares via spanreed.

Furthermore, the first time I read the scene when Kaladin was branded, I got the impression that Restares is actually the stormwarden present in the scene. I realize there is no good proof for such a connection. But still, there is something quite off in their relationship, for it to be a simple boss-subordinate case.

Amaram was talking to one of his stormwardens, a middle-aged man with a square beard and robes of deep black.

“…why Thaidakar would risk this?” Amaram was saying, speaking in a soft voice. “But who else would it be? The Ghostbloods grow more bold. We’ll need to find out who he was. Do we know anything about him?”

“He was Veden, Brightlord,” the stormwarden said. “Nobody I recognize. But I will investigate.”

Amaram nodded, falling silent.

Is I see this conversation, Amaram is obviously nervous, and he obviously wants to talk about his problems. What the stormwarden essentially does is that he closes the topic and Amaram agrees to let it end. Of course a subordinate can well take the position “Take it easy, boss, I’m working on this” in a more polite wording.

(By the way, isn’t this kind of trimmed beard usually associated with Ardents? As the Sons of Honor want to restore the Church, wouldn’t it be fetching for them to be headed by a renegade ex-Ardent?)

Then he openly shows his disbelief to his presumed boss’ words:

Ah yes,” Amaram said. “I believe I remember you.” He didn’t ask after Tien. “You still haven’t answered my question. Why attack? It wasn’t for the Shardblade. You rejected that.”

“Yes, sir.”

To the side, the stormwarden raised his eyebrows, as if he hadn’t believed that Kaladin had turned down the Shards.

Later, in the end of the scene, Amaram starts the speech about how Kaladin would inevitably want the Blade back. A speech that looks too much as Amaram trying to convince himself, that he is right. And a speech that culminates in “Restares is right—this is what must be done”:

Besides, son. You wouldn’t have let me keep them.” Amaram shook his head. “You’d have changed your mind. In a day or two, you’d have wanted the wealth and prestige—others would convince you of it. You’d have demanded that I return them to you. It took hours to decide, but Restares is right—this is what must be done. For the good of Alethkar.”

Amaram knew that Kaladin was not after the Shards, while both the stormwarden and Restares look like they had strong suspicions. Restares needed hours to make Amaram reluctantly decide it. Why is Amaram mentioning Restares exactly after all the ranting about inevitability in claiming Shards if Restares’ arguments weren’t closely connected to this line of thought? I.e. Restares and the stormwarden seem very much in the same mind on the topic,  while Amaram is wavering.

Then when Amaram orders the killing of Kaladin’s men, the stormwarden actually begins his part before any sign from Amaram:

The stormwarden walked over to the room’s brazier, shaking his head. He began warming his hands.

“Look,” Kaladin said. “Those Shards are mine. Well, I said to give them to Coreb. He’s the highest ranked of my soldiers, and the best fighter among them.” The other three would understand. Besides, Coreb would take care of them, once he was a lighteyes.

Amaram looked at Coreb, then nodded to his attendants. One closed the window shutters. The others pulled out swords, then began moving toward the four remaining members of Kaladin’s squad.

As we know it was not for warming his hands that he walked to the brazier. The stormwarden obviously decided there is no more need for talking and it’s the time to start the action phase. “Shaking his head”, as if saying “you see Brigthlord, what could be expected from in darkeyed? It is inevitable”. He does this way before Amaram giver his sign, obviously sure that it’s time. And Amaram had to look at Coreb, as if still hesitating. Before nodding as sign to commence the butchering. As if he is reluctantly agreeing to a course of actions somebody else pushed on him. Or as if it was the stormwarden who gave the actual signal to start, while Amaram only relayed it to the soldiers.

The stormwarden - so calm and confident in the scene in contrast with Amaram’s nervousness. Especially in the light of “Restares was right” looking like Restares formed his arguments in the form of “it’s inevitable”. (And well he should, because to deal with true believers like Amaram, you don’t confront them outright, in which case their fanaticism would only harden, but you offer them a higher plane of wisdom, where it’s all “inevitable”. “Inevitable” like in a prophecy, for that the Sons so hunger). The stormwarden acts exactly like about something inevitable. Who is the real boss here?

Of course it’s not enough for a proof. It’s just a hypothesis that Restares is that stormwarden.

But whoever Restares is, stormwardens should be quite important for him. That the secret writings in Amaram’s maps are based on stormwarden script is very much telling: where the from of your organization’s most treasured plans lies, there is the heart of your organizations base of operations, here is what you intrinsically do trust.

And actually I like the idea of "Resatres" being a codename for an unknown leader too.

• Chaos locked this topic