Sorry if this has been discussed earlier but I was reading through some old posts in the forums and this came to mind: 

So we know that the ability to Surgebind manifests when a person develops cracks in their soul. We also know that a Nicrosil ferring is able to store investiture in their metalminds.

Would this imply that when they are storing investiture in their metalmind, the Feruchemical nicrosil would be walking around with unbraced cracks in their soul? And when they recover this investiture they are able to brace their soul and make it stronger than normal? 

Also extending the above, if a Nicro ferring with a 2X braced soul went unprotected into combat with a shardblade wielder, would the blade just bounce off him/her (since shardblades work by severing the soul)? Could this be how Shardplate works, strengthening the soul by wrapping it in a layer of investiture?

Essentially Nicrosil compounding = Shardplate

I'd like to hear others' views on this.  

I like your thoughts on the spiritual effect of Feruchemical nicrosil, but I'm pretty sure Inestiture by itself doesn't help against a shardblade. I believe we have WoB that nether stormlight or Breath give any kind of protection. I think the Investitre has to be used in a very particular way to block a shardblade.

I never quite the whole "cracks in the soul" thing - it felt to me like people were taking it too literally. I always interpreted it to be similar to similar to how Allomantic Snapping works. You get put under a lot of stress, you get really creative about ways to save your skin - and if your sDNA allows it, you might gain access to magic. Of course, the whole "under a lot of stress" might translate into the Spiritual Realm as "cracks in the soul," but I won't go there...

I never quite the whole "cracks in the soul" thing - it felt to me like people were taking it too literally. I always interpreted it to be similar to similar to how Allomantic Snapping works. You get put under a lot of stress, you get really creative about ways to save your skin - and if your sDNA allows it, you might gain access to magic. Of course, the whole "under a lot of stress" might translate into the Spiritual Realm as "cracks in the soul," but I won't go there...

This. Kind of.

The "broken soul" thing is a metaphor for a person who's not normal in some way, who's different. Not "I'm just a reguar Joe who happens to have superpowers" different, but who is enough different mentally/emotionally that the average person would call them a little bit crazy. Like someone who enlists in the army to watch their brother, then pays to have other bad soldiers transferred to his unit so he can try to protect them, too. Or someone who insists on being dunked into the ocean without knowing how to swim in order to draw a picture of a giant sea monster. Or someone who escapes a serial killer, then turns around to try to help a kid met earlier that day and probably can't help anyway. 

In order for the Radiants to exemplify any of the Divine Virtues, they have to become so unbalanced that they come across as weird to others. That's the broken soul.

Edited by 11thorderknight

I agree with the similarity to Allomantic snapping, but if you dig into that, the people snapped by the mists, many of them died. Infact that's why the mists had a scary reputation, because people ended up dead.

So snapping at least can create enough damage in the physical/spiritual realm to kill someone. Also in the case of bloodmakers like Wayne, they could go for a few weeks with a runny nose in order to heal a bullet wound in a few minutes. Makes sense that someone could do the same with their soul (I mean a teeny tiny unbraced crack for a few weeks wouldn't really lead anyone to become a homicidal maniac right?? :unsure: )

I like your thoughts on the spiritual effect of Feruchemical nicrosil, but I'm pretty sure Inestiture by itself doesn't help against a shardblade. I believe we have WoB that nether stormlight or Breath give any kind of protection. I think the Investitre has to be used in a very particular way to block a shardblade.

Well bummer on the Shardplate theory then.

But Kaladin was able to heal a shardblade wound using just stormlight

So I think investiture used in a particular way should be able to prevent the shardblades from severing your soul.  

Edited by Vestis Etoris Prime Targ

• Chaos locked this topic