Is shardplate made from crem?

kirron

I'm wondering if shardplate is made from crem.  I have a couple of reasons.  Crem comes from highstorms so it might have a deeper connection to the stormfather or spren.  Also plot wise it would give another reason why Brandon came up with crem in the first place besides being used in pottery, buildings, general nuisance and covering up an ancient city.  We know you can shape it and it can become hard so with some investure crem could become shardplates.

I'm just imaging Lopen saying shardplate is made from wothless crem and then going out and covering his whole body with it to try to get become a shardbearer.

I'm wondering if shardplate is made from crem. I have a couple of reasons. Crem comes from highstorms so it might have a deeper connection to the stormfather or spren. Also plot wise it would give another reason why Brandon came up with crem in the first place besides being used in pottery, buildings, general nuisance and covering up an ancient city. We know you can shape it and it can become hard so with some investure crem could become shardplates.

I'm just imaging Lopen saying shardplate is made from wothless crem and then going out and covering his whole body with it to try to get become a shardbearer.

Haha, I like the Lopen imagery.

WoR spoilers

I am sure shardblades can be made from anything. However, I think they are actually made from "spren." Think of Kaladin's "Spren"blade AKA shardblade at the end of WOR. It literally is made from the body of a Syl, who is an honorspren. She is not made from crem, to my knowledge... Spren are barely corporal and so I think when they are made into a blade they become their own unique substance.

Don't forget about the end of WoR:

The Oathgate's keyhole is made of a metal that shardblade cannot cut, and I doubt they got somebody's spren to sit there all day long. Shardplate is almost certainly something special and different, and probably just one of the less creative uses for that kind of material.

A little OT, but why did people find only ShardBLADES, if spren and also this metal can go into basically anything?

Maybe in the same way that spren behave as expected the shard blades are simply meeting expectations.

Since few records survived from before the recreance, maybe the only surviving records are ones referencing shards as swords. This would make the commonly held belief/expectation that they are all swords, and then they just would be.

That or maybe it was a choice by the orders as a sword seems like a more "regal" weapon then say a spear or hammer.

Edited by McBeefsteak

Crem is used, linguistically, as a derogatory term similar to a certain excrement-related curse on earth. However, it's actually part of the rainwater on Roshar. It's some kind of clay-like material that has to settle out of the water, or it makes people sick, and is then used in making pottery and buildings. Sort of how mud and straw is used to make basic bricks, but I have no idea what the people of Roshar would used to replace straw as the binding material.

There are many many many things on Earth that do the same thing. Such as dirt, clay, mud, fertilizer, compost, ashes, and feces. Crem sounds like it does most of the jobs of most of these things, and a bit more.

On crustaceans, I think it provides the building blocks for exoskeletal structures, chitin, and shells.

Edited by Swimmingly

I think that shardplate is made from aluminum that is backed by a fabrial. Perhaps the fabrial has got two different spren in it. They aren't trapped but they do reside there. It's not a full entrapment because the spren is able to bond with the user using glyphwards. This allows the spren to gain some little amount of sentience so they are smart enough to be able to hold stormlight and use that for their own purposes, like heal it and to transport to the cognitive at the knights direction. I think that this is Cultivations magic system and it is a system that any person who can hold stormlight can use. so this is primarily what the Squires used. I think the spren that were used were the ones that were attracted to the surges, the spren that Kaladin sees when he lashes something? This is one of the only ways I can see the Knight's Spren be O.K with them being used. Because at least this way they are getting something from the bond.

Crem is used, linguistically, as a derogatory term similar to a certain excrement-related curse on earth. However, it's actually part of the rainwater on Roshar. It's some kind of clay-like material that has to settle out of the water, or it makes people sick, and is then used in making pottery and buildings. Sort of how mud and straw is used to make basic bricks, but I have no idea what the people of Roshar would used to replace straw as the binding material.

Straw isn't there so much as a binding material -- although it could have some aspect of that function -- but is primarily there to provide tensile strength.  In similar vein, in some areas of the world, bamboo is used to reinforce concrete as it serves analagously in providing tensile strength the way steel rebar does.

I would imagine that Rosharians could use plant/animal fibers in the same role -- the "silk" they have I saw elsewhere on these forums is derived from some sea organisms.  Silk on earth has great tensile strength.

I'm wondering if shardplate is made from crem.  I have a couple of reasons.  Crem comes from highstorms so it might have a deeper connection to the stormfather or spren.  Also plot wise it would give another reason why Brandon came up with crem in the first place besides being used in pottery, buildings, general nuisance and covering up an ancient city.  We know you can shape it and it can become hard so with some investure crem could become shardplates.

At the DC signing a couple days ago, Brandon explained that crem was initially created in his mind as a means of countering the extensive erosion that would occur with regular hurricane-like storms. While the Highstorms would weather the land, they would also deposit crem. Otherwise, Roshar would have disappeared ages ago.

I hate to kill this theory because I think it’s actually fun…but this was the exact question my buddy asked at the signing last night and WOB- ‘No, Shardplate is assuredly not crem’

Hahaha, well that's a shame.

Honestly I stick to my opinions that Shardplate is something completely different than Shardblades. It actually breaks, it's fueled by gems, and the Oathgate is made of a very similar material. If I had to guess, I'd almost say that it's like when the Spren tried to copy Honor, except this time it was mankind during a particularly long wait for a Desolation.

• Chaos locked this topic