[WoR spoilers] Adolin's horse

synobal

So did anyone feel like Adolin's white horse dying was really heavy foreshadowing?

Prior to the horses death he was a literal knight on a white horse. Now he has killed Sadeas, and everyone in his family is a radiant but him. He seems to be perfectly poised to go bad or maybe not full bad but at least get tarnished.

I admit to a bit of wishful thinking here, but I do not think this is the beginning of a journey towards Adolin going bad.

We have been heavily exposed to Honor's morality system in both Dalinar and Kaladin's viewpoints, but that is just the morality system of their orders and Honor. Other orders and other "gods" have different versions of morality. We are starting to see that through Shallan. I personally hope that Adolin represents a middle road of the absolutes represented by Kaladin and Dalinar on one end (Journey before Destination) and people like Amaram and Taravangian on the other extreme (Ends justify any means). 5 books with absolutely no nuance in morality could get tedious. I hope Adolin, Shallan, and Jasnah continue to provide that nuance.

I dunno, we have the perfect seeds for jealousy here here in Adolin, everyone he knows is a radiant. He just did something that many would consider wrong and will be investigated. The stress of keeping the murder of Sadeas secret, dealing with his jealousy of not being a knight, the death of his horse which he really really loved and then the possibly getting jealous if Shallan/Kaladin start making eyes at each other (which I hope doesn't happen). That entire mix just screams at me "he's going bad" or at least "he's gonna get tarnished". 

I don't know if this is proper place to say but WoB hints that what Adolin did might be inline with what Dustbringer would do. Being a radiant seems to be contagious so it's possible it's just the beginning of his journey to becoming something more than a handsome prince who likes dueling people.

There are so many ways it could go. Adolin was 1000% better in WoR in my mind, so I'm pretty happy with him now and I hope he stays "good" even if he is in a moral gray area and belongs to an Order that would accept that. I find myself strangely supportive of him killing Sadeas. It's not a topic that needs to be discussed, but unlike Kaladin just disliking Elhokar, Adolin knows Sadeas to be a murderer. It's not unheard of to bring death to murderers..... sometimes called justice, even..... I don't know. But he could also end up as the Moash of the Kholin family. Something that I wouldn't enjoy watching, but it certainly would be dramatic!

I do not think that Adolin will go bad. It is so cliche for the good guy's best friend to become the bad guy and Mr. Sanderson has already done that with Moash. We know that different radiant groups did not like each other but I am guessing that different radiant groups worked together in teams like we saw in the visions from the first book. I am guessing that Kaladin and Adolin will have surges that are different but work together. 

I don't really see Adolin going evil, at least I hope it doesn't go that direction. He seems to love his family (Dalinar, Renarin, Navani, ect) too much to actually betray them. I also don't think killing Sadeas is any worse than Shallan strangling her father to death or Jasnah using assassins to murder people. Sadeas was basically responsible for the deaths of thousands of Adolin's men, has tried to kill his father twice already, and freely admits to Adolin that he wants Dalinar out of the way so he can take power (even though he knows Dalinar was right). I'm not so sure that even Kaladin would have a problem with Adolin killing Sadeas. Kaladin himself said that he wanted to kill Amaram up close with a knife, so can he blame Adolin for doing it to Sadeas, someone whom Kal also hates.

I think that killing Sadeas will cause some consequences to Adolin, but I also think it could be the defining event that will push him towards becoming a Radiant.

I think it matters more how he handles things afterwards than what he actually did. No windrunner would have protected him because the 3rd ideal actually precludes them from doing it. Sadeas did not deserve protection, neither does Amaram. They might not kill them themselves but I think they would pull up a chair and have a nice glass of wine while someone else who wasnt bound by the same ideals did the deed.

If Adolin hides it, or lets someone else take the fall he is walking a slippery slope, because it will mean he did it out of hatred rather than out of him really believing it was the right thing to do. I think if he actually tells them and is honest and open with the right people (i.e not everyone who would use it against him) then it will be the next step into him becoming a Releaser. If he hides it I think it will corrupt him, either by making him think he can get away with things, or by making him think he is not becoming a Knight because of it. If he starts to think that he will begin to loath and hate the others for not dirtying their hands and thus forcing him to do it and lose his chance.

He walks the knife edge, whether he comes out unbloodied will be another matter.

I personally favor the theory that he will be the first to reawaken a dead Shardblade (specifically, his own). His behavior regarding Blade is a little odd for most Alethi: he talks to it, and he refuses to give it a new name.

That is a theory i like. Is this your pet theory? or is there a larger thread some where for this? 

That is a theory i like. Is this your pet theory? or is there a larger thread some where for this? 

There are several threads about that :)

I do think he will get worse, each of the radiants were in tight spots. Then the awesomeness happens :D

About Moash, I'm certain he still has a big role to play, and he will end up uniting Dalinar's faction with Taravangian's...

• Chaos locked this topic