Zahel (SPOILERS)

chuchuoftime

I didn't see this theory anywhere else, so here goes. Zahel is a worldhopper from Warbreaker, likely Vasher himself.

First off, his expressions, "Repeating myself makes me eat the wrong flower." "And dont be green from the ground..Stupid language." Both of these sound very like very Halladan things to say, using colors and flowers, not to mention he apparently is unfamiliar with the language still.

Next, the way he dresses. "Long-haired, with a short but scruffy black beard, he wore loose tan clothing tied with ropes." Sounds familiar, especially the bit with the ropes.

Apparently he can has a high life sense, likely from having breath, "Zahel awoke, snapping his eyes open, knowing instantly that someone was approaching his room." "The one with that spren Zahel could sense always spinning about.

SPOILER Last off, how did Nightblood get to Roshar? Vasher would never leave on another world without him, plus this little bit from Zahel "He expected a voice to speak in his mind as he drifed off. Of course, there wasn't one. Hadn't been one for years."

So, what does everyone think?

Discovering it on your own is still downright impressive, plus you have caught I think ALL of the hints that point to him being Vasher.  Just because our collective has figured it out doesn't mean you still aren't cool for noticing it. I didn't see it my first read-through :P

The interesting fact is that he does not only dwells on Roshar, but lives here for many decades at the very least. But how and why?

The only theory that really comes to my mind is that Vasher entered the Seventeenth Shard somewhere after Nightblood or during it. Another question is the reason for him to be parted with the sword - as I remember that he feared leaving for wrong hands in Warbreaker.

I wonder, if Nalan and Szeth qualify as "wrong".

Discovering it on your own is still downright impressive, plus you have caught I think ALL of the hints that point to him being Vasher.  Just because our collective has figured it out doesn't mean you still aren't cool for noticing it. I didn't see it my first read-through :P

Well I haven't been able to find a better thread listing the clues so i'm going to add one here.  

In chapter 44 (page 500 hard back), the four bridgemen go to train with Zahel. When the walk up "Zahel had drawn a circle in the sand and was throwing little colored rocks into it"

Then when he returns at the end of the chapter "Another ardent had piled his colored rocks there, which made Zahel scowl"

This reminds me of the game Lightsong plays with the other gods called Tarachin. It was played on a field with brightly colored spheres, that were tossed and scored based on where they landed. Seems like Vasher is basically wasting his vacation playing shuffleboard by himself. 

• 2 months later...

The interesting fact is that he does not only dwells on Roshar, but lives here for many decades at the very least. But how and why?

The only theory that really comes to my mind is that Vasher entered the Seventeenth Shard somewhere after Nightblood or during it. Another question is the reason for him to be parted with the sword - as I remember that he feared leaving for wrong hands in Warbreaker.

I wonder, if Nalan and Szeth qualify as "wrong".

If Zahel was part of the 17th Shard, wouldn't he be after Hoid like Demoux, Gallodon and Blunt are?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 499095856 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

I thought he was just hanging out om Roshar because stormlight is a sufficient breath substitute that doesn't involve (as far as we know) hurting anybody.

Maybe he'll hop back to his homeworld in a century or two, y'know, next time major war be brewing.

• 4 years later...

I Think Zahel was walking in the highstorm immediately before both shallan and kaladin saw the stormfather. He was in his giant glowing God form filling up on investitur and/or looking for shallan and kaladin. He did tell kaladin the highstorms were full of investitur, a plentiful flow.

50 minutes ago, Ridderston said:

I Think Zahel was walking in the highstorm immediately before both shallan and kaladin saw the stormfather. He was in his giant glowing God form filling up on investitur and/or looking for shallan and kaladin. He did tell kaladin the highstorms were full of investitur, a plentiful flow.

That's why he's there. He can feed off of Stormlight just the same as he can Breaths, and Stormlight is easier to get a hold of than Breaths, so you are probably correct that he was walking in the storm.

2 hours ago, Ridderston said:

They were out in the middle of the Shattered Plains. Vasher wouldn't have a reason to go out that far, and wouldn't have been able to without a bridge anyway. And his Returned form is a bit taller than a regular person, but isn't a giant, and doesn't glow. He is on Roshar because he can feed off stormlight instead of Breath, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of people from Nalthis, I'm not sure if anyone else has caught this, but Captain Azure, who commanded the Wall Guard, is Vivenna. First of all, she said "like white on black" like Vasher/Zahel. Also, she has a Shardblade without a spren, because she-or someone else-Awakened it. And finally, when they were in Shadesmar, she asked for strips of cloth. Why? So she could Awaken it.

• Chaos locked this topic