An observation on Shardblades.

Aminar

So we now know that Shardblades are dead Spren. For the most part at least.

We know that when a radiant touches the blade they hear screaming, the screaming of their Spren if Kal's understanding of the scream is correct.

I think the person who's bonded the blade hears something different though. During the duel when Kal touches the shardblade it's owner Shout's "I didn't kill you."

This strikes me as important. The Spren is communicating somewhat. If there is a way to resurrect a dead blade this will be involved. Possibly leading to Adolin awakening his blade. Possibly leading to insane vengeful ghost spren haunting shardbearers, a revenge I'd love to see Amaram deal with.

As I said in another thred, Syl explains that spren are revived when those they bond go back to their Oaths

I was only as dead as your oaths

So Shardbearers have bounded those spren, which is what allows them to summon Shardblades. Syl also notes that the men the spren are bonded to must go back to their oaths for the spren to live again. I think it's possible for a Shardbearer to adopt the first ideal and awaken his Blade and revive the spren.

However, that would mean those SHardbearers don't really get in an Order according to their personality, but based on the spren they have as a Blade, which can be problematic and lead to forsaking oaths all over again.

As I said in another thred, Syl explains that spren are revived when those they bond go back to their Oaths

So Shardbearers have bounded those spren, which is what allows them to summon Shardblades. Syl also notes that the men the spren are bonded to must go back to their oaths for the spren to live again. I think it's possible for a Shardbearer to adopt the first ideal and awaken his Blade and revive the spren.

However, that would mean those SHardbearers don't really get in an Order according to their personality, but based on the spren they have as a Blade, which can be problematic and lead to forsaking oaths all over again.

It will probably have to be more complicated than that. Syl bonded with Kal before he swore oaths. Dalinar swore an oath while bonded to a blade and it didn't revive. Yes Syl was only as dead as Kal's oaths, but the blades are as dead as the radiant's of olds oaths, not the people who have fauxbonded them.

It will probably have to be more complicated than that. Syl bonded with Kal before he swore oaths. Dalinar swore an oath while bonded to a blade and it didn't revive. Yes Syl was only as dead as Kal's oaths, but the blades are as dead as the radiant's of olds oaths, not the people who have fauxbonded them.

Was it specifically stated about the old Radiants? Because that implies they can never live again.

Syl says something along the lines of "Maybe if their Radiant's were alive."

Beyond that, this and Adolin talking to his blade and the associated story potential are the only things that suggest perhaps they can be ressurected other than the idea being a Chekov's Gun.

Syl is resurrected because Kaladin goes back to his oaths and speaks the words. Adolin wasn't the original person bonded with the spren that became his blade so how could he resurrect a spren he isn't bonded to? Wouldn't he have to form a bond first before he could bring the spren back.

Syl is resurrected because Kaladin goes back to his oaths and speaks the words. Adolin wasn't the original person bonded with the spren that became his blade so how could he resurrect a spren he isn't bonded to? Wouldn't he have to form a bond first before he could bring the spren back.

He has a bond with the blade, that's how he can summon it. 

I'm not saying it is, but it's a start. Otherwise it would mean that once dead a spren can't be revived without the original bonder. And this contradicts with the idea of spren being natural forces that don't die forever. So I think there has to be a way.  

I agree. But I think more tthan Oath's are needed to awaken the blade. This is the only thing I could find that hints at it. The implication that the Spren can communicate when their blade is in contact with a Radiant is interesting... We'll have to see what happens tto Kaldin's dueling opponent to know more...

“All dead,” Pattern said. “To us, this means they are mindless—as a force cannot truly be destroyed. These old ones are patterns in nature now, like Cryptics unborn. We have tried to restore them. It does not work. Mmmm. Perhaps if their knights still lived, something could be done . . .”.

P.889

They are D-E-D dead.

But, if the shardblades reacts different when touched by a radiant who is far enough on his path, perhaps they could re-gain life by bonding a full radiant of the correct order.

I doubt it would be that easy but if the breaking of oaths is what killed them, the fulfillment of those very same oaths might have the opposite effect.

What about Bondsmiths?  They seemed to be the most rare Order, and are said to have unique abilities. If anyone might be able to restore life to a mostly dead spren stuck in Blade form, "Bondsmith" certainly fits for the name.  Being kinda forcefully bonded to a physical thing and all.

But as for the Bondsmiths, they had members only three, which number was not uncommon for them; nor did they seek to increase this by great bounds, for during the times of Madasa, only one of their order was in continual accompaniment of Urithiru and its thrones. Their spren was understood to be specific, and to persuade them to grow to the magnitude of the other orders was seen as seditious.

—From Words of Radiance, chapter 16, page 14

So Melishi retired to his tent, and resolved to destroy the Voidbringers upon the next day, but that night did present a different stratagem, related to the unique abilities of the Bondsmiths; and being hurried, he could make no specific account of his process; it was related to the very nature of the Heralds and their divine duties, an attribute the Bondsmiths alone could address.

—From Words of Radiance, chapter 30, page 18

• Chaos locked this topic