World Hopper

Falcon777

So, while rereading a portion of Shallan's interaction with Mraize (chapter 54), I came upon this: "No, I'm not worried about that one. The old fool sows chaos, but does not reach for the power offered by opportunity. He hides in his insignificant city, listening to its songs, thinking he plays in world events. He has no idea. His is not the position of the hunter. This creature in Tukar, however, is different. I'm not convinced he is human. If he is, he's certainly not of the local species..."

Local species of human? That makes it sound as if Mraize thinks there are more kinds of species. It's a thin thread to hang on, but it almost implies that Mraize could be a world hopper. Interestingly, it also has the implication that Darkness (which must be the creature in Tukar, if you ask me), could possibly be a world hopper as well.

So yeah, there's my first wild theory.

Also on page 641:

"'She's far too young for me, child,' Wit said. 

'That's right,' Adolin said with a nod. 'Stick to women your own age.'

Wit grinned. 'Well, that might be a little harder. I think there's only one of those around these parts, and she and I never did get along.'"

This implies many things.

1. there is probably another worldhopper nearby.

2. If there isn't a worldhopper, then its some other sort of immortal person, or being, Wit's age is hard to guess.

3. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the 1 woman nearby that is Wit's age would be Cultivation, and that they don't see eye to eye.

4. If it isn't cultivation, that means that someone else from Yolen managed to survive and is on Roshar. But probably Cultivation.

Edited by cris34b

He also like to collect souviner "his little shelves of wonders" and use the "local weapons". The blowdart example. He most likely "travel" a lot

They aren't 17th sharders by they way that they act.

"No, I'm not worried about that one. The old fool sows chaos, but does not reach for the power offered by opportunity. He hides in his insignificant city, listening to its songs, thinking he plays in world events"

About this part my first impression are that he are talking about Hoid - Old, listining to songs, playing in wolrd events.

Hoid said that the war in Roshar could shake the pillar of sky, so mostly Roshar are a conflux place for all people that are playng the great cosmere game. Some players are already there. Vasher, Hoid, probaly the Terris woman. I will wait and see because something will happen =)

"No, I'm not worried about that one. The old fool sows chaos, but does not reach for the power offered by opportunity. He hides in his insignificant city, listening to its songs, thinking he plays in world events"

About this part my first impression are that he are talking about Hoid - Old, listining to songs, playing in wolrd events.

I'd assumed that was Taravangian.

What if the other species is the thing hanging upside down from Rysn's interlude. Or the weird shapeshifter from TWoK interludes... Which may or may not be the same entity/kind of being.

Edited by Aminar

Mraize is definitely a Worldhopper, and the followers of the Diagram know of him. This is one of the epigraphs:

But who is the wanderer, the wild piece, the one who makes no sense?  I glimpse at his implications, and the world opens to me.  I shy back.  Impossible.  Is it? -          From the Diagram, West Wall Psalm of Wonders: paragraph 8

(Notew by Adrotagia: Could this refer to Mraize?)

Even though we know this probably refers to Hoid, they think the wanderer might be Mraize. Maybe they are cosmere aware too?

Mraize is definitely a Worldhopper, and the followers of the Diagram know of him. This is one of the epigraphs:

But who is the wanderer, the wild piece, the one who makes no sense?  I glimpse at his implications, and the world opens to me.  I shy back.  Impossible.  Is it? -          From the Diagram, West Wall Psalm of Wonders: paragraph 8

Even though we know this probably refers to Hoid, they think the wanderer might be Mraize. Maybe they are cosmere aware too?
I think the impossible is Taravangian seeing the Cosmere at large and disbelieving it somewhat. So it almost hints that Mraize isn't a worldhopper.

I think its more referring to Hoid, but it's vague enough with enough hints scattered around so that Mraize could be a World Hopper, but we have a few problems in pinning that down:

1) We simply don't know enough about the Ghostbloods or who they are (even if they are one united faction) to actually make a stab at their origins and motivations 

2) Mraize is enigmatic enough that he could just be a well traveled man from Roshar 

3) His reference to 'human species' could simply of course be referring to the many diverse races on Roshar 

I'm tentative about calling him a World Hopper for that reason.

I think the impossible is Taravangian seeing the Cosmere at large and disbelieving it somewhat. So it almost hints that Mraize isn't a worldhopper.

Perhaps. Or the impossibility is Hoid: KING OF EVERY MAGIC!!!  :wacko:

Let's list, shall we? Hoid is either confirmed or highly likely to have:

Various-book spoilers:

-Lightweaving

-At least 200 Breaths

-An Awakened sword

-An Honorblade (making him a faux-Stoneward with the Surges Cohesion and Tension)

-Allomancy (probably all the metals)

-Feruchemy (almost certainly all the metals)

-Compounding Feruchemy. This IS worth listing separately when you sit down and think of how OP it is.

--An un-burned bead of Lerasium he's still "using" somehow

-Whatever the Moon Scepter is

This on top of being so old that only Shards are in his dating range.

Edited by Kurkistan

It was Hoid talking to young!Shallan. That's the only one, though.

This man was blinded in a childhood accident. ‘I pray to the God Beyond each night to restore my sight, so that I may find beauty again.’

Under the different trophies listed in Mraize´s hideout in chapter 43 are "an odd flower" that may be a tear of Edgli from Naltis and "pale sand" (Whitesand?). Although I have no clue if the inscribed tree branch and the silver knife, Shallan dosen´t mention if they are similare to her brother´s silver knives, could be worldhopped objects.

We know of an inworld scoure for the golden hair but does anyone remember the "thick hairepin" and the "pale pink crystal," from another work?

It was Hoid talking to young!Shallan. That's the only one, though.

Thanks. So that doesn't give us much.

Under the different trophies listed in Mraize´s hideout in chapter 43 are "an odd flower" that may be a tear of Edgli from Naltis and "pale sand" (Whitesand?). Although I have no clue if the inscribed tree branch and the silver knife, Shallan dosen´t mention if they are similare to her brother´s silver knives, could be worldhopped objects.

We know of an inworld scoure for the golden hair but does anyone remember the "thick hairepin" and the "pale pink crystal," from another work?

Silver knife could be from Shadows for Silence maybe? The inscribed branch may be a Forgery? Actually the pale pink crystal might be soulstone

Edited by Maximus

who is the Terris woman?

A worldhopper we know showed up in at least Warbreaker, but who we have yet to locate definitively in any of the books.

Edited by Kurkistan

Also on page 641:

"'She's far too young for me, child,' Wit said. 

'That's right,' Adolin said with a nod. 'Stick to women your own age.'

Wit grinned. 'Well, that might be a little harder. I think there's only one of those around these parts, and she and I never did get along.'"

This implies many things.

1. there is probably another worldhopper nearby.

2. If there isn't a worldhopper, then its some other sort of immortal person, or being, Wit's age is hard to guess.

3. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the 1 woman nearby that is Wit's age would be Cultivation, and that they don't see eye to eye.

4. If it isn't cultivation, that means that someone else from Yolen managed to survive and is on Roshar. But probably Cultivation.

Definitely Cultivation I would say. We had WoB somewhere (from a signed book I think) saying Cultivation didn't like Hoid.

Also, do we know who Nazh is, definitively, yet?

And when I was reading Shallan's descriptions of all the odd things Mraize owns, I was definitely getting a "worldhoppy" vibe.

Edit: But I do think Mraize's quote about "him living in his city with his music" (or whatever) is a reference to Mr. T. Just, city of bells. Makes sense to me. :/

Edited by Gamma Fiend

WoK Ch. 54 Gibletish

“The city’s pattern is central to the Emuli religion,” the ardent said. “They claim it is their ancestral homeland, a gift to them from the Heralds. And the Tukari are led by that god-priest of theirs, Tezim. So the conflict is religious in nature.”

Mraize was probably talking Tezim. There's nothing else in either book about Tukar or Tezim.