Saw this during reread

garlick

I just ran by this is my reread. It was when bridge 4 went on a run rear the end of the book when dunny dies. Bridge 4 didn't loose loose a man till they he was trampled. This was a moment of change, Kaladin started helping other wounded bridge crew members. Then I noticed the man with the arrow in his leg they said this about him. He says how. will i get back to camp if i cant walk. but he had no accent and though he had dark skin like a azish. not a direct quote just from memory, but could this of been a hearld. Possibly testing kaladin. The final hold outs came around maosh said he was wrong about him, im not sure if im just reading to deeply or if it could be a herald and if so which?

I noticed that guy too!

Ch. 53  "Dunny"

One poor man from Eight was crawling toward the others, an arrow through his thigh. Kaladin walked up to him. He had dark brown skin and brown eyes, his thick black hair pulled back into a long, braided tail. Painspren crawled around him. He looked up with as Kaladin and the members of Bridge Four loomed over him...
... The bodies of bridgemen lay scattered, ignored. “Look at that! Who cares for them? Not Sadeas. Not their fellow bridgemen. I doubt even the Heralds themselves spare a thought for these."...

“Hold this with your hands,” Kaladin instructed. “And don’t walk on it. I’ll check on you before we march back to camp.” “How…” the man said. He didn’t have even a hint of an accent. Kaladin had expected him to be Azish because of the dark skin. “How will I get back if I can’t walk on the leg?” “We will carry you,” Kaladin said. The man looked up, obviously shocked. “I…” Tears formed in his eyes. “Thank you.”...

Sanderson, Brandon (2010-08-31). The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 745, 746). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

(Emphasis mine.)

Edited by Lorna

I think I've seen this speculation before. It's certainly possible, but I don't think the heralds are that involved in Kal's life, or even really know who he is yet. That and I don't see any herald risking their life that much, given their apparent immortality and what theoretically happens when they die.(burning place etc.)

The detail could simply be because he was the first bridge man's outside of bridge four that Kaladin saved.

Indeed, this was one of the steps where Kaladin is opening up his shell after his torment and abuse.

He began with bridge 4.

Then he helped all bridgemen.

Then he saved the army.

Now he's protect Lighteyes.

Next he will save the Alethekar as a Surgebinder.

Ultimately he will save the world as a KR.

It's a series of steps in his character progression that Sanderson is utilizing effectively; representing Kaladin's acceptance of leading and protecting more and more people in stead of a core group of 4 or 5 friends.

Seems awfully specific and re-occurring info to just be 'The 1st Kaladin saved outside of Bridge 4'...

A random bridgeman from another crew would have, i think been given only the most passing description in-book.. with no commentary on his complexion or lack of accent... he is someone special, i believe.

Meh, Gaz got a POV and alot more mention, he's not important to  anything is he a Herald to?

What do you mean be reoccurring info? Accent? To other Brits, the British don't have an accent. To the Aussies, Australians don't have an accent.

In America there are those of 1st generation decent who look Mestizo, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, etc...but who have no accent and speak perfect American (I consider it different than English, TY). 

Looks do not necessarily equal accent my friend.

I was thinking along the lines that all of the heralds have been seen or mentioned in twok. One of the things to look out for are people with no accents. Since Kaladin picked up on the fact he had no accent though he looked azish is what made it stand out to me. And it could pass as a herald being seen. I cant say that it is a herald but i can see that as a way to sneak one in there. And it seemed Kaldins power might of tweaked a little there, the cut on his cheek was already healed, he healed fast before but that was the 1st mention of him healing in the same battle. We have seen other heralds with mainly darkness after other surgebinders. He might not be the only one looking for them. And in kaladin saw someone worthy. just wild speculation while i wait for midnight and get my nook copy or WoR

Meh, Gaz got a POV and alot more mention, he's not important to  anything is he a Herald to?

What do you mean be reoccurring info? Accent? To other Brits, the British don't have an accent. To the Aussies, Australians don't have an accent.

In America there are those of 1st generation decent who look Mestizo, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, etc...but who have no accent and speak perfect American (I consider it different than English, TY). 

Looks do not necessarily equal accent my friend.

Yeah but... Most of Stormlight Archives' cultures seem a lot more xenophobic than modern Murika.  And that Baxil's Mistress looked assuredly not-from-around-here but had no accent.

I was thinking along the lines that all of the heralds have been seen or mentioned in twok. One of the things to look out for are people with no accents. Since Kaladin picked up on the fact he had no accent though he looked azish is what made it stand out to me. And it could pass as a herald being seen. I cant say that it is a herald but i can see that as a way to sneak one in there. And it seemed Kaldins power might of tweaked a little there, the cut on his cheek was already healed, he healed fast before but that was the 1st mention of him healing in the same battle. We have seen other heralds with mainly darkness after other surgebinders. He might not be the only one looking for them. And in kaladin saw someone worthy. just wild speculation while i wait for midnight and get my nook copy or WoR

Very well I parry your riposte and counter with Stormlight. If the bridgemen was a Herald, he would not need medical attention. Darkness can take in Stormlight even if he dosnt Surgebind. I.E. the bridgemen would have healed with the the Storm light  in his spheres/ other people's spheres.

• Chaos locked this topic