[OB] Kaladin's Character Progression

Starla

5 hours ago, Gasper said:

His arc is not complete. Sure, his OB arc was, but his overall arc from healer to warrior to ruler/leader is not complete. I think at minimum it will end in STA5 but not before then. I think he will struggle with the 4th Oath for a while. I think it has to do with his attachments and letting go of those so that he can lead on a bigger scale. I think that will take him a while, one or one and a half books at least. Also, I expect him to survive into the second half of the series.

Yeah, that is what I meant. I was simply arguing that he had a clear arc in OB, not that his story is over. He still has a long way to go.

Kaladin's overall arc is far from over, I agree on that.
But his OB arc is a complete arc, just not the one most of us would have wanted for him. I mean. In WoK and WoR he got to be the one to save the day, and in WoR, which wasn't technically supposed to be his book, he pretty much stole the show from Shallan. I mean, flying, glowing and fighting the man who's been the nightmare of world leaders for years is kiiiinda more impressive than sticking a sword into a keyhole.
And even though he is my favorite character EVER and I don't want anything bad to ever happen to him again, I think OB was necessary. It's easy to think of Kaladin as the main character, where he's actually one of several. So it's alright he wasn't the one to save everyone's butt again. Besides, the fact that it was the other way round - everyone got to save his butt at least once - is something beautiful. He needed that as well.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:27 AM, Winds Alight said:

Anyone else having trouble with the image of Kaladin in full Plate?

I don't have trouble seeing Kaladin in Plate. I expect it will happen and I agree with you about Syl. I don't think she is worried that Kaladin will never say the 4th oath.

Random Prediction: Shallan will be the first of our Heroes to get Plate. :) I would like that. It would make up for her crummy storylines.

@NoiseSpren Kaladin has the most charisma. I was laughing and laughing at how Shallan and Adolin were groaning "Oh of course he got so-and-so to follow him." "Oh, there he goes doing it again." :D.

Yeah, but she keeps it for herself. Smart Jasnah. 

Random assassin (have you ever realized it means chull as sin?): just stab her with this in her spine...

And whoa! Plate!

chull chull in is in chull.

(yeah, I know, Cap, language!)

Wow!!! Chull autocorrect!!! I love it!!!

Edited by NoiseSpren

On 12/13/2018 at 11:54 PM, Winds Alight said:

Kaladin's overall arc is far from over, I agree on that.
But his OB arc is a complete arc, just not the one most of us would have wanted for him. I mean. In WoK and WoR he got to be the one to save the day, and in WoR, which wasn't technically supposed to be his book, he pretty much stole the show from Shallan. I mean, flying, glowing and fighting the man who's been the nightmare of world leaders for years is kiiiinda more impressive than sticking a sword into a keyhole.
And even though he is my favorite character EVER and I don't want anything bad to ever happen to him again, I think OB was necessary. It's easy to think of Kaladin as the main character, where he's actually one of several. So it's alright he wasn't the one to save everyone's butt again. Besides, the fact that it was the other way round - everyone got to save his butt at least once - is something beautiful. He needed that as well.

Shallan has grown on me as a character since rereading WoR, but I still want to see her demise used to make Adolin into an Edgedancer (preferably sooner rather than later). I also think that Kaladin will swear his 4th Oath at the same time. She is not that great of a character and a great conclusion to either the middle or end of the 4th book or the beginning of the 5th book would be Shallan being obliterated by an Unmade and making Adolin and Kaladin progress as characters.

That's kinda cruel!
But I see what you mean, and tbh, as much as I like Shallan, of all the current main characters I'd get over her death the easiest. Especially out of the Kaladoshal trio. I can't imagine Kaladin dying and Adolin's would almost be as bad, but Shallan ... I would be sad, but I could deal with it. Sort of.
Though I think both Adolin and Kaladin could get on with their oaths/start as Radiants in other ways.

13 hours ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Jasnah almost certainly has her Plate already

Jasnah may have her plate but she's not someone we've been following very closely so I would still consider it a win if Shallan got her plate before Kaladin.

Of the main characters I could get over Dalinar's death easiest.

Just looking at Kaladin/Shallan/Adolin. I'm not sure. As long as Kaladin is alive, I could survive it.

As for character death, not sure I can handle Dalinar. This is a very personal story and this character is so important for me. I can say I relate to him.

With any other characters I did not built such strong emotional connection, if they all die, I'd be fine. But not with Dalinar. 

4 hours ago, wotbibliophile said:

Jasnah may have her plate but she's not someone we've been following very closely so I would still consider it a win if Shallan got her plate before Kaladin.

I think that's already happened, she just won't admit it. 

Look at her reaction in this exchange, and compare it to her other repression. 

He grinned. “You said that Jasnah was a Radiant too. Women, gaining Shardblades. It’s weird, but it’s not like we can ignore it. What about Plate? Do you have that hidden somewhere too?”
“Not that I know of,” she said. Her heart was beating quickly, her skin growing cold, her muscles tense. She fought against the sensation. “I don’t know where Plate comes from.”

Add in her illusion of Radiants armor being correct for her order, despite her supposedly never having seen it... 

I think our dead fractured Lightweaver has more secrets from herself. 

19 hours ago, Ookla, the Hivemind said:

I think that's already happened, she just won't admit it. 

Look at her reaction in this exchange, and compare it to her other repression. 

Add in her illusion of Radiants armor being correct for her order, despite her supposedly never having seen it... 

I think our dead fractured Lightweaver has more secrets from herself. 

Oooh. Very cool. I would love it, if this was another secret from herself. I believed her when she said she didn't know where Plate came from. It'll be a nice surprise if she already has Plate.

10 hours ago, Kelevra said:

I think and hope Dalinar will Ascend eventually.

I think Dalinar might Ascend as well. It sure seemed like he had a mini ascension already.

• Chaos locked this topic