[OB] Sketches with translations (Navani's notebook)

Pattern

OB_NAVANI-SHIPS_ebook.thumb.jpg.0fb90567f7f4c804ba49a576f3a90d64.jpg

Too fanciful(ha)?

Ask Rushu how to keep the mast from ripping off

Jasnahs Favorite

OB_NAVANI-WATCHES_ebook.thumb.jpg.b71ae17e8a5e645aae9f17bce86c5830.jpg

Touch the gems in the correct combination to
release a shock from the front nodes that will
incapacitate an attacker

Top View

Side View

Stormpiece

Timepiece

The ketek in the end is already translated.

Edited by Pattern

I like how "Jasnah's favorite" resembles the Elsecaller's glyph. It took me seeing the translation to piece that together since the other's are labeled with their inspiration (e.g. bird/chicken & scorpion).

Anyone have any idea about what these ships are for? I was thinking they might be for travelling Shadesmar, but that wouldn't require sails on the bottom...

Then I was thinking about airships that those with a gravitation surge could lash and send through the air. Even then, the sails seem superfluous. So does anyone have a better idea?

5 minutes ago, jamskinner said:

Did we ever learn the story to this ship?

Maybe Brandon just likes Final Fantasy.

No, I don't think so, although for some reason I thought it was a ship to travel through Shadesmar. Not sure why I thought this, because as far as I know Navani doesn't know much about Shadesmar, although it's plausible that Jasnah has talked with her about it before.

1 hour ago, jamskinner said:

Did we ever learn the story to this ship?

Maybe Brandon just likes Final Fantasy.

I got a very strong vibe that Navani was trying to figure out a way to have vehicles ride the storm, fly over it (hence the sails on the bottom) similarly to how Kaladin had been moving around.

1 hour ago, Argent said:

I got a very strong vibe that Navani was trying to figure out a way to have vehicles ride the storm, fly over it (hence the sails on the bottom) similarly to how Kaladin had been moving around.

I felt the same thing... That would be super cool

There has been a short scene between Navani and Rushu talking about the ships/airships. I will have to browse through the book to find it, though (best not done during breakfast for obvious reasons).
The sails pointing downward is as @Argent already mentioned, a clear sign for the ships to ride just above Highstorms, with the wind under the ship providing forward thrust. The raising / lowering will have to be done by fabrials. Stormlight would be repleted with the Highstorm below, so the fabrial would not run out of Stormlight as long as the ship was above the Highstorm. Just a slightly evil thought: What would a fabrial with a captured windspren or honorspren be able to do? Could it grant fabrial-lashings? This would make the sails superfluous, though, since the airship could be lashed in any desired direction. Navigation independently from Highstorms could now be achieved by an airship carrying Dalinar, if he continues to be able to recharge spheres at will.

The painrial is used as a taser/shocking device by Navani in Thaylen City against the three men who had captured Fen, her mate and Navani.

4 hours ago, Pattern said:

There has been a short scene between Navani and Rushu talking about the ships/airships. I will have to browse through the book to find it, though (best not done during breakfast for obvious reasons).
The sails pointing downward is as @Argent already mentioned, a clear sign for the ships to ride just above Highstorms, with the wind under the ship providing forward thrust. The raising / lowering will have to be done by fabrials. Stormlight would be repleted with the Highstorm below, so the fabrial would not run out of Stormlight as long as the ship was above the Highstorm. Just a slightly evil thought: What would a fabrial with a captured windspren or honorspren be able to do? Could it grant fabrial-lashings? This would make the sails superfluous, though, since the airship could be lashed in any desired direction. Navigation independently from Highstorms could now be achieved by an airship carrying Dalinar, if he continues to be able to recharge spheres at will.

The painrial is used as a taser/shocking device by Navani in Thaylen City against the three men who had captured Fen, her mate and Navani.

Not to mention the introduction of the Perfect gems.

• Chaos locked this topic