I got the game about a month and a half ago, and it's a big hit with my gaming group.  Only two of us have actually read the books but even the people with zero exposure to the novels really love the game -- so much so that we usually wind up playing twice in a row.  I'd love to talk to people here about different strategies and your opinion of it overall and what you predict the expansions will be like.

9 hours ago, kaduzy said:

I got the game about a month and a half ago, and it's a big hit with my gaming group.  Only two of us have actually read the books but even the people with zero exposure to the novels really love the game -- so much so that we usually wind up playing twice in a row.  I'd love to talk to people here about different strategies and your opinion of it overall and what you predict the expansions will be like.

I agree, I always have a blast whenever I play, win or lose. They really did a great job on the game. 

As for the expansion, they posted a little update on Kickstarter and mentioned what the game will be like. It will play out very similarly to the base game, with the game revolving around whether or not Luthadel falls. If it stands then the person with the highest favor wins, if it falls then the lowest wins. There will be a Vin track that determines when she arrives, and there will be a new problem deck to replace the old one. 

4 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

I agree, I always have a blast whenever I play, win or lose. They really did a great job on the game. 

As for the expansion, they posted a little update on Kickstarter and mentioned what the game will be like. It will play out very similarly to the base game, with the game revolving around whether or not Luthadel falls. If it stands then the person with the highest favor wins, if it falls then the lowest wins. There will be a Vin track that determines when she arrives, and there will be a new problem deck to replace the old one. 

Thanks, I'd love to get a link to that description if you're willing.

43 minutes ago, kaduzy said:

Thanks, I'd love to get a link to that description if you're willing.

Here’s a link to the update talking about the expansion:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftygames/mistborn-house-war/posts/2222802

hmm... reading over it again it looks like I may have made some assumptions about the mechanics that they didn’t actually talk about, or maybe there was a post or something somewhere else where they talked about it a little more but I have no clue where that would have been. 

20 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Here’s a link to the update talking about the expansion:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftygames/mistborn-house-war/posts/2222802

hmm... reading over it again it looks like I may have made some assumptions about the mechanics that they didn’t actually talk about, or maybe there was a post or something somewhere else where they talked about it a little more but I have no clue where that would have been. 

No biggie.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 1:07 AM, kaduzy said:

I would love to talk strategy! It would be interesting to see what other people/play groups have come up with.

One strategy that has become somewhat common in my gaming group is holding onto the Slanderer or the Con Artist (or both preferably) until close to the end game. Players then tend to use these cards in quick succession in order to create some last minute scoring shifts. The biggest/first example of this was when TLR was in play (so all points were doubled), and Vin had just come out. A player used the con artist to boost their score from solving the 2nd to last problem, and then used the slanderer on the currently leading player when they solved Vin, resulting in the player gaining close to 20 Disgrace. It was a pretty effective combination, and ended up winning them the game.

Since then people have become slightly paranoid, being more careful while those 2 cards are unaccounted for. The upshot of it is that it has also lead to players using the Obligator and High Prelan cards more often.

I'm trying to get somethings into the custom card creator. Has anyone else had any experience with it? When I published a card, it's page is just displaying the back of a Personality card; does it take a little while to make it all the way into the system? Also, is there any way I can manage my existing cards, if I have revisions, or would I have to upload new ones each time?

39 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I'm trying to get somethings into the custom card creator. Has anyone else had any experience with it? When I published a card, it's page is just displaying the back of a Personality card; does it take a little while to make it all the way into the system? Also, is there any way I can manage my existing cards, if I have revisions, or would I have to upload new ones each time?

I don’t know I haven’t actually played around with it yet, other than to look at a few cards made by other people. Good luck!

Speaking of which, in case anyone hasn’t seen it, Crafty made their announcement official- they’re doing a card creator contest to see who gets the Hoid promo cards left over from the release party. Unfortunately, it’s for backers only because of technical reasons. Details here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftygames/mistborn-house-war/posts/2264171#comments

23 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Speaking of which, in case anyone hasn’t seen it, Crafty made their announcement official- they’re doing a card creator contest to see who gets the Hoid promo cards left over from the release party. Unfortunately, it’s for backers only because of technical reasons. Details here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftygames/mistborn-house-war/posts/2264171#comments

To be clear, does this mean there is no way non-backers can participate? I'm pretty sure it does, but I figured I should ask.

It took a little while for my first card to make it through, but it came up just fine. I've got a set that synergize well together, explore some space for face-down Lasting Personalities. Most of them up are uploading now; I've got a few more to tweak that I may add. I'll do a writeup once I've got images; it's various forms of Investiture, both from Scadrial and from around the Cosmere, that are kept as close secrets.

5 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

To be clear, does this mean there is no way non-backers can participate? I'm pretty sure it does, but I figured I should ask.

If you can convince a backer to submit a card on your behalf, and you trust them to give your mailing address for the reward, you could slip in that way. If you could find a backer that isn't interested in entering the contest themselves.

(Unrelated note, I already have the Hoid promo, and I designed my cards, like, a year ago just for fun, so I'm not interested in entering the contest myself.)

17 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Yeah pretty much. However...

17 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

If you can convince a backer to submit a card on your behalf, and you trust them to give your mailing address for the reward, you could slip in that way. If you could find a backer that isn't interested in entering the contest themselves.

I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. I’ll go ask Crafty, just to be sure, but yeah if you know a backer and can convinced them to submit designs on your behalf, that’s one way to get in. 

On 8/16/2018 at 7:58 PM, Pagerunner said:

@Herowannabe @Pagerunner Would it be okay if I asked one of you? If not, do you have an idea about how I could find a backer? (I don't personally know anyone who backed the game).

3 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

@Herowannabe @Pagerunner Would it be okay if I asked one of you? If not, do you have an idea about how I could find a backer? (I don't personally know anyone who backed the game).

Given my involvement with the contest I don’t know if it would be appropriate for me to do it, but on the other hand they’re keeping it fairly casual, so maybe it will be okay. I’ll ask Crafty and see what they say. 

@Faceless Mist-Wraith and @RippleGylf FYI Crafty gave this idea their stamp of approval:

If the backers submitting the cards are OK with acting as go-between, we see no issue with it at all. We *wanted* to include everyone from the jump, and if we'd seen a not-frustrating way to do it, we would have. :)

However just for future reference for anyone else who may be looking for a sponsor, I myself am going to respectfully decline. I feel like my involvement with the contest would make that situation too awkward. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The Card creator contest ended, and there is one unofficial/official prize winner unaccounted for. The Neutral Agent card was created before the contest began and wasn't ever officially submitted to the contest via the kickstarter comment page, but somehow slipped through the cracks and won a prize anyway. Now Crafty is trying to track down who made the card so that they can reward them, but Drive-Thru cards doesn't publish any info about who created it. 

@Pagerunner @Kurkistan @RippleGylf @Faceless Mist-Wraith @kaduzy was it perhaps one of you? Or does anyone happen to know who made it? If so, contact Crafty at [email protected] and let them know! :)

4 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

Nope, wasn't me and I don't know who's it was. Great card, flavor-wise, though. Not sure as to its actual utility.

It seems useful to anyone who ends up stuck in the middle of the scoring game. Usually that person has no choice but to throw their lot in with whoever has the highest or lowest score and try to help them win, but with this card it gives them a chance at winning the game. The more I think about it the more I like it. I'll probably order a print of it and add it to my game, along with the other winning cards. 

Speaking of which, if anyone is curious and isn't a Kickstarter backer, here are the winners (Actually, I'll just quote Crafty's post so you can see their comments on the cards):

Hello backers!

All the results are in and we have our winners! The following talented junior designers should expect a visit from Hoid in the near future. If your name is on this list, check your Kickstarter messages for details. If you do not see that message today, please reach out to us at [email protected] and we'll get things sorted.

Kevin's pick: Hazekiller Guard by Keegan Laycock 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250855/Hazekiller-Guard--Custom-Card…

Alex's pick: The Flow of Information by Griffinman01 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250157/The-Flow-Of-Information--Custom-Card…

Pat's pick: Charity by Keegan Laycock 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250861/Charity--Custom-Card…

Your pick: Martyr by Griffinman01 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250156/Martyr--Custom-Card…

Couple things here...

- Kevin's actual pick was the Neutral Agent (link below), but this card was not actually submitted in a comment here, so it's not technically eligible. This was a messaging error on our part, and we want to make sure the creator of this card is awarded for their effort. If anyone here created this card, or knows who did, please have them email us at [email protected]. We can scrounge up another Hoid card for them.

https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/246024/Neutral-Agent--Custom-Card…

- It worked out that the top eligible picks came from only 2 entrants. There are 4 Hoid cards to give out, so we're going to have these two winners pick their favorite entrants from the remaining eligible participants, and we'll send those entrants a Hoid card each. We'll announce their choices here as soon as we receive them.

Kevin, Alex, & Pat all had runner ups and honorable mentions we wanted to recognize. Here are their top 3 each, along with their comments.

Kevin's Picks

Winner: Neutral Agent 

Runner Up: Hazekiller Guard 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250855/Hazekiller-Guard--Custom-Card…

Honorable Mention: Obligator Accountant 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250869/Obligator-Accountant---Custom-Card…

Comments 
I really like this sort of "mini-quest" added by Neutral Agent, when it also adds only a little bit of complexity to the "headspace" of a game.

Hazekiller Guard is a nice difference from the facedown "decoy" Personality in that it actively discourages the other players from targeting your Lasting Personalities at all.

The Obligator Accountant introduces an interesting possible card cycle with a fun effect, though I enjoyed the other two designs a bit more.

Alex's Picks

Winner: The Flow of Information 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250157/The-Flow-Of-Information--Custom-Card…

Runner Up: Martyr 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250156/Martyr--Custom-Card…

Honorable Mention: Muslant Cheese Makers 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250860/Mulsant-Cheese-Makers--Custom-Card…

Comments 
Many great, novel, and well-thought-out cards were submitted in this contest, but my favorite by a hair was The Flow of Information by Griffinman01. This card won out with me because it hits all the hardest points of making a good Problem simultaneously - it combines concept, quote, mechanics, and art into something that presents interesting decision points and strategic opportunities for all players.

Of particular note are the novel mechanisms for the solved and eruption effects, which are thematic and balanced (with just a few words' revision). Moving Problems around and bringing new ones into play "out of place" present a whole range of interesting options and strategically impact everyone at the same time.

I can see The Flow of Information prompting very interesting haggling and negotiations during games... which is exactly what a good Problem should do.

Honorable Mention: Muslant Cheese Makers was IMO the most novel mechanic of all the submissions, and it made me laugh. 

Pat's Picks

Winner: Charity 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/250861/Charity--Custom-Card…

Runner Up: Restless Workers 
https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/251796/Restless-Workers--Custom-Card…

Honorable Mention: Neutral Agent 

Comments 
Decreasing Unrest is a popular request, and I think Charity manages it in a relatively graceful way with little to no game play disruption — so long as you keep the number of copies of the card in your decks to 2 or fewer.

I've long felt that we could include more spatially aware card effects in the game, and Restless Workers is a strong attempt at making that happen. Great foresight on this one!

Neutral Agent was Kevin's top pick and I can see why. It was closer to the top of my list for a little bit, too. It's only the strength of Charity & Restless Workers that kept it out of my top spot.

Great work all around! Thank you everyone for your submissions!

-- 
Alex, Pat, & Ed

8 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

It seems useful to anyone who ends up stuck in the middle of the scoring game. Usually that person has no choice but to throw their lot in with whoever has the highest or lowest score and try to help them win, but with this card it gives them a chance at winning the game. The more I think about it the more I like it. I'll probably order a print of it and add it to my game, along with the other winning cards. 

Fair enough, I guess I'm just worried about how I'd manage to actually get to 0 and whether other players would tweak on what was happening and mess me up with some spare Disgrace or something. But I guess an "I win" card should take some work to use, so that's a fair set of challenges.

• 1 month later...

@Herowannabe @Kurkistan

Wanted to ask about some more rule clarifications:

1. If a person plays the obligator/high prelan, this means that no deal changing cards (The Slanderer, Con Artist, The Stallion) can be played, correct?

2. Despite being a very powerful personality card, The Inquisitor can still be haze killed normally, correct?

3. Is it legal to "overpay" for a problem? Ex: A problem costs 6 resources, let's say 3 food and 3 skaa. The active player decides to solve this problem and they have an excess of resources, including 3 food, 2 skaa, 2 soldiers, and 2 prestige. They decide to use the 2 skaa normally, and the 2 soldiers to pay for the remaining skaa. However, for the 3 food, they decide to use 1 food normally, and 2 instances of 1 food + 1 prestige in order to pay for the remaining food. Would this be legal? The rules say you can "spend any 2 resources as any other 1 resource", but I'm not sure if this means a player could use the requested resource to "double up"

This specific question came up when a player was trying to get rid of all their resources before a problem erupted that would require them to destroy 3.

4. I was perusing the rules, and noticed this line that I had missed before "You may convert resources like this as often as you like, though you may NOT combine resources with another player when converting." referring to the "spend any 2 resources as any other 1 resource" rule. Does this mean you can't work together with other people in order to create a resource? Ex: the problem requires x amount food and skaa, but no player gains skaa. A player decides to combine their resource with another player in order take care of the skaa, since no one else has any.

5. It says to discard the obligator and high prelan "when all terms are met". Does this also apply to when a player can't meet the terms of agreement and the card's punishing effect occurs? Or does the Obligator/High Prelan stay until the player is finally able to meet the terms. I've always assumed it was the first, but wanted to check. Ex: A player promises to help another with their next problem with the use of a thug. However, another player steals their thug with a seeker. Does the promising player have to keep giving back resources until they can meet the terms of agreement? Or would the card disappear after the fine is applied?

6. I feel like I've asked this question before, but can't find any record of it: For problems that say players can't play personality cards when solving or closing deals, can players still play personality cards (soothers, rioters, etc.) before the active player actually chooses the problem?

7. For Problems which target a specific player's resources, such as Major Heist or The Eleventh Metal, can the active player choose a player with no resources?

8. Can thugs, tineyes, etc, be redirected to another problem that is not being worked on?

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 11:22 AM, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

@Herowannabe @Kurkistan

Wanted to ask about some more rule clarifications:

1. If a person plays the obligator/high prelan, this means that no deal changing cards (The Slanderer, Con Artist, The Stallion) can be played, correct?

To my knowledge the Obligator doesn't do anything to stop card effects, it just enforces verbal deals that go past the current interval.

2. Despite being a very powerful personality card, The Inquisitor can still be haze killed normally, correct?

Unless it explicitly says otherwise, yes.

3. Is it legal to "overpay" for a problem? Ex: A problem costs 6 resources, let's say 3 food and 3 skaa. The active player decides to solve this problem and they have an excess of resources, including 3 food, 2 skaa, 2 soldiers, and 2 prestige. They decide to use the 2 skaa normally, and the 2 soldiers to pay for the remaining skaa. However, for the 3 food, they decide to use 1 food normally, and 2 instances of 1 food + 1 prestige in order to pay for the remaining food. Would this be legal? The rules say you can "spend any 2 resources as any other 1 resource", but I'm not sure if this means a player could use the requested resource to "double up"

This specific question came up when a player was trying to get rid of all their resources before a problem erupted that would require them to destroy 3.

I don't believe there's anything in the rules that would forbid this, so sure go nuts.

4. I was perusing the rules, and noticed this line that I had missed before "You may convert resources like this as often as you like, though you may NOT combine resources with another player when converting." referring to the "spend any 2 resources as any other 1 resource" rule. Does this mean you can't work together with other people in order to create a resource? Ex: the problem requires x amount food and skaa, but no player gains skaa. A player decides to combine their resource with another player in order take care of the skaa, since no one else has any.

Correct, you can only do the 2->1 conversion with your own resources.

So if a problem requires exactly 1 skaa, and you and another player have exactly 1 of some other resource each then there's no way for you to combine your 2 into a skaa.

5. It says to discard the obligator and high prelan "when all terms are met". Does this also apply to when a player can't meet the terms of agreement and the card's punishing effect occurs? Or does the Obligator/High Prelan stay until the player is finally able to meet the terms. I've always assumed it was the first, but wanted to check. Ex: A player promises to help another with their next problem with the use of a thug. However, another player steals their thug with a seeker. Does the promising player have to keep giving back resources until they can meet the terms of agreement? Or would the card disappear after the fine is applied?

I've always assumed the first, but don't know either way.

6. I feel like I've asked this question before, but can't find any record of it: For problems that say players can't play personality cards when solving or closing deals, can players still play personality cards (soothers, rioters, etc.) before the active player actually chooses the problem?

I believe so.

7. For Problems which target a specific player's resources, such as Major Heist or The Eleventh Metal, can the active player choose a player with no resources?

Probably not, though that's just my gut.

8. Can thugs, tineyes, etc, be redirected to another problem that is not being worked on?

Yes. The Smoker's annoying like that.