Fertillity(Spoilers)

Sanderson-Savant

Just saying, I haven't done a full search to see if this has been posted, so someone please direct me if it has been.

So during Warbreaker, we know that Siri is a "vessel" for the Gods King children, furthermore, it is revealed by none other than Hoid, that a previous God King only died after a male heir was produced, as his first child was a female, from this I can gather that the God Kings must be fertile (or the priests lied about the previous God King having a female child,and this child was from elsewhere but that seems unlikely). Now, this is a slight problem, as we also know that the other Returned in the Pantheon of the Gods are infertile. My thoughts on this were maybe they were being fed something to make them infertile by the priests, they seem up to that kinda thing, however the Returned can't even get drunk, so it seems unlikely they could be poisoned like this, so I want to know what this discrepancy is.

This said however, when Vivenna first arrives, we see Lemex die to what we eventually know to be poison, so perhaps the Returned could be poisned.

EDIT- remembered that Siri does in fact become pregnant.

Edited by Sanderson-Savant

The Returneds could reproduce under some peculiar cirtumstances. Simply the priests don't know the Method or the Method is too Dangerous.

This is implied by the fact Vo itself started the Idris's bloodline and some God-kings are Indeed the son of the previous One.

PS: I don't remember any reference or clue on Siri's pregnancy

In a turn of events I accidentally spend all night reading and finished it, and it is in fact explained. Treledees says that the God King cannot reproduce, but as the original king, who is the start of the original royal line could, there must be a way, but they are unsure of it. I think maybe I spend too much time on here reading theories...

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

you should have mentioned in advance that you hadn't finished. you risked getting big spoilers as we discussed the issue believing you already reached the end

Yeah, luckly I didn't say something too spoilish.

Anyway the Iridescent Tones knows a way for a Returned to reproduce, but they don't know if it's the same method Vo used.

The fact they don't decide to simply use it, makes me think there are some risks with it and they will never put the God King at risk

On 5/5/2017 at 7:08 AM, Yata said:

Yeah, luckly I didn't say something too spoilish.

Anyway the Iridescent Tones knows a way for a Returned to reproduce, but they don't know if it's the same method Vo used.

The fact they don't decide to simply use it, makes me think there are some risks with it and they will never put the God King at risk

No, the annotations confirm that the Susebron was the actual child of the God King before him. The priests know of how to have them reproduce, and try to do so. They prefer having the actual male child, but if an infant returned appears they take it as a sign that it's time for a new God King and have a succession.

• 1 month later...

I don't think that it was confirmed that Susebron is the previous king's child. There is no mention of the father at all, only about mother, who raised him for a bit and then either suspiciously died, or simply left, leaving him in the priests' care. And the mention that each cycle starts with the children who Return.

The logical sequence I remember is this: Sometimes, a child is returned. Since the God King has too much power, and can possibly learn to cast magis even without a tongue, every time a child is born Returned, the priests acknowledge it as a divine sign that they should change the God King (as in, the receptacle for the thousands of Breaths). So, they find a suitable bride, show the future queen to people, and then those two marry, and show the marriage to people, and then they have sex, and, if possible, show the pregnant queen to people, and then...

And then the king officially "suspiciously dies, just as all other kings", because "having produced a heir makes them suicidal, probably" and, in reality, he gives away his stored Breaths. andjust goes away, together with the queen and the (future) child. And the RETURNED child, who had already existed before this charade began, is left as an official heir. The visible differences in the child's age are attributed to the Returned being larger and healthier than normal people, which is true. So nobody pays real attention.

Edited by XenosHg
(if possible)

On 5/7/2017 at 3:14 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

No, the annotations confirm that the Susebron was the actual child of the God King before him. The priests know of how to have them reproduce, and try to do so. They prefer having the actual male child, but if an infant returned appears they take it as a sign that it's time for a new God King and have a succession.

XenosHg is right actually. We misread the Annotations.

The God King’s priests take an infant Returning as a sign that it’s time to change God Kings. At that point, they choose a wife for the God King and hope that she’ll be able to conceive the next God King. They’d much, much rather that the God King be the literal child of the previous God King. (Susebron wasn’t, however. And his mother was indeed his mother, a poor merchant’s wife from far northern Hallandren.)

4 hours ago, XenosHg said:

The logical sequence I remember is this: Sometimes, a child is returned. Since the God King has too much power, and can possibly learn to cast magics even without a tongue, every time a child is born Returned, the priests acknowledge it as a divine sign that they should change the God King (as in, the receptacle for the thousands of Breaths). So, they find a suitable bride, show the future queen to people, and then those two marry, and show the marriage to people, and then they have sex, and, if possible, show the pregnant queen to people, and then...

And then the king officially "suspiciously dies, just as all other kings", because "having produced a heir makes them suicidal, probably" and, in reality, he gives away his stored Breaths. and just goes away, together with the queen and the (future) child.

More of said Annotations

Now, an infant has indeed Returned. The priests see this as a major vindication of their faith, as they made the wedding contract with Idris twenty years ago and now, just when the marriage was to happen, an infant Returned. The problem is, now they’ve got to push Siri to get pregnant, because they’re on a deadline. They don’t want to have to replace the God King with this infant; they’d rather use his own child. Hence the push for her to have a child.

But if she doesn’t, they’ll go with plan B. Note that there’s not, in fact, any danger to her either way, no matter what Bluefingers says. She and Susebron, following the change in power, would have been taken to one of the isles in the middle of the Inner Sea and kept in a lavish lifestyle as long as they lived.

This bit also says that the push to get Siri pregnant is that the Priests would much rather use a legitimate heir. Meaning that they would forgo said infant returned that they "found" if Susebron got Siri pregnant, which I find interesting.

As for his being able to cast magic even without a tongue, he can. Vasher himself confirms this, and says that the Priests should know how in order to teach him.

Vasher shrugged. “The Tenth Heightening allows a man to Command mentally, without speaking, but it can take months of training to learn how to do that—even if you have someone to teach you. I think his priests must know how, so they can transfer that wealth of Breath from one king to another, but I doubt they’ve trained him yet. One of their duties is to keep him from using his Breaths in the first place.”

• Chaos locked this topic