Nightblood can't be used on other Worlds

A Joe in the Bush

There have been a lot of Topics comparing Nightblood to other Magic Swords from other Worlds, But I don't think Nightblood can manipulate, or be used by, People from other Worlds. Because they don't have breaths that he can take.

Not sure if this should go here or in the Cosmere topics.

Also, How do you mark this as a Theory?

I don't quite think so. Beyond the fact that anyone who gets ahold of Breath can use it, we know that all magic systems can be jury-rigged to be fueled by others. Nightblood being fueled by Stormlight is the example question for that WoB, actually.

If by "mark as a theory" you mean tag it, just include "theory" in your tag list. If you mean append "Theory" to the front of the thread on the thread list, I think that is a Power reserved for Mods, unless something has changed lately.

Edited by Kurkistan

• 1 month later...

Spoilers

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that Nightblood is going to function off of Stormlight in a similar manner to stealing Breaths. I wonder if it would also kill the person when they ran out. Has it been confirmed that Nightblood would kill anyone who ran out of Breath holding it or whether that was just because Vasher was Returned and would die when his divine Breath was eaten?

Also, there's the fact that the black smoke from Nightblood was described as Stormlight, only dark. Personally I really like the way it continues the thematic aspect of Szeth using far more stormlight than a true radiant, kind of like a deadly parasite out of balance with the the magic of the world. Has anyone talked about the similarity between the description of Nightblood's smoke and the dakr stormlight in the gemstone Galivar had back in WoK when Szeth killed him?

Spoiler

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that Nightblood is going to function off of Stormlight in a similar manner to stealing Breaths. I wonder if it would also kill the person when they ran out. Has it been confirmed that Nightblood would kill anyone who ran out of Breath holding it or whether that was just because Vasher was Returned and would die when his divine Breath was eaten?

it has been confirmed that it would kill others. link!

and welcome to 17s! happy first post and first upvote!

Personally I really like the way it continues the thematic aspect of Szeth using far more stormlight than a true radiant, kind of like a deadly parasite out of balance with the the magic of the world.

I think we have WoB that Nightblood functions almost identically to an Honorblade, so Szeth burning through so much of it makes a lot of sense.

I think we have WoB that Nightblood functions almost identically to an Honorblade, so Szeth burning through so much of it makes a lot of sense.

We have no such WoB, to my knowledge.

We have no such WoB, to my knowledge.

Kind of, Kurk. I think what Observer is saying is that there are many similarities that have been observed between Nightblood and Honorblades, namely how they are both function as Shardblades, are both heavily Invested, and both require a constant stream of Investiture in order to function.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic