How cool would a tournament be in the Mistborn series?

Revan Kholin

Ever wondered how awesome an allomancy tournament would be between Mistborn...obviously its impossible for era 2 to have one but what about era 3( which is said to be a space opera) to have a tournament. With awesome characters that Sanderson is bound to create a tournament would a very fun setting.

What are your thoughts and how should a tournament for mistborns be approached? :)

The space opera is actually Era 4 now. Wax/Wayne officially became Era 2, and the 1950's? 80's? setting got pushed back to Era 3. It's a small nitpick that doesn't change too much.

Anyway, what kind of tournament are you thinking of? There are more options than you might think.. as I learned while writing this :)

•Triwizard Style from Harry Potter, where they don't exactly know what each event will be, clues to help them prepare

•Medieval Tournament, well established events, contests of skill rather than cleverness

•Event Elimination style, everybody does stage one of events, only the finishers go to stage 2, etc..

•Normal Elimination style, best of 3 rounds, get points in each event, etc.. Kinda like the olympics

•Some other variant, and/or a combination of things

Usually gotta have an event style to start coming up with events

On 1/4/2017 at 4:39 PM, Ironeyes said:

I like this idea. Like pro-bending from Legend of Korra but with metals instead of bending. 

...how would that work? 

It seems like Legend of Korra gets referenced a lot when talking about the world of Scadrial. I understand that, it being similar, with the world gradually being shaped around a type of magic, and I see how a lot of ideas would work...but how would a competitive sport like this actually work?

11 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

...how would that work? 

It seems like Legend of Korra gets referenced a lot when talking about the world of Scadrial. I understand that, it being similar, with the world gradually being shaped around a type of magic, and I see how a lot of ideas would work...but how would a competitive sport like this actually work?

I'd say it'd be several sports. The chief different between Bending and Metallic Arts, when it comes to sports, is that all forms of bending are ultimately variations on the same theme, while there's far more vairety in the Scadrian powers.

I could see some form of sport for pewterarms, steelrunners, coinshots and lurchers - a version of football/basketball. Each team has a set amount of pewterarms and steelrunners, and a set amount of coinshots and lurchers. The field is dotted with metal columns a la Kredik Shaw's spires, to let the fliers move about freely, and there's a pair of goals/baskets/nets where the ball (which doesn't contain metal) has to be delivered. The players can't grab the ball with their hands, and the ball can't touch the ground. The team with the biggest amount of points scored wins, of course.

1 hour ago, Rasarr said:

I'd say it'd be several sports.

I could see some form of sport for pewterarms, steelrunners, coinshots and lurchers - a version of football/basketball.

And here I was thinking it'd be different events/challenges for each power, but your idea sounds kinda fun to watch.

10 hours ago, Rasarr said:

I'd say it'd be several sports. The chief different between Bending and Metallic Arts, when it comes to sports, is that all forms of bending are ultimately variations on the same theme, while there's far more vairety in the Scadrian powers.

I could see some form of sport for pewterarms, steelrunners, coinshots and lurchers - a version of football/basketball. Each team has a set amount of pewterarms and steelrunners, and a set amount of coinshots and lurchers. The field is dotted with metal columns a la Kredik Shaw's spires, to let the fliers move about freely, and there's a pair of goals/baskets/nets where the ball (which doesn't contain metal) has to be delivered. The players can't grab the ball with their hands, and the ball can't touch the ground. The team with the biggest amount of points scored wins, of course.

...That sounds amazing. Like soccer, volleyball, and Quidditch rolled into one sport.

• Chaos locked this topic