Excerpt from Words of Radiance: Chapters Six, Eight, and Nine

kobain

Yalb can see Shallan's spren?  Will be be a surgebinder?  HMMMM.

*edit*  Apparently they all can based on this comment.  So Syl, being of Honor, isn't able to be seen by most but Pattern can be seen by all?

She worried about letting them see Pattern. She’d tried staying in her cabin to keep him a secret from the men, but being cooped up had been too difficult for her, and he didn’t respond to her suggestions that he stay out of their sight. So, during the last four days, she’d been forced to let them see what she was doing as she studied him.

They were understandably discomforted by him, but didn’t say much.

Edited by Riceloft

Yalb can see Shallan's spren?  Will be be a surgebinder?  HMMMM.

*edit*  Apparently they all can based on this comment.  So Syl, being of Honor, isn't able to be seen by most but Pattern can be seen by all?

Unfortunately, I doubt it. All the sailors can see Pattern, so it seems he has trouble hiding himself.

Edit: yes, just saw your edit. Also, I don't think Syl or Pattern are any more of Honor than the other. Syl associates with the human concept, not necessarily the Shard.

Edited by Kyzkle

My favorite was this exchange between Syl and Kal:

“Laws are of men, Kaladin. Nature doesn’t have them!”

“If I toss something upward, it comes back down.”

“Except when it doesn’t.”

“It’s a law.”

“No,” Syl said, looking upward. “It’s more like… more like an agreement among friends.”

Brief thoughts as I read:

Terrible Destruction:

• Pattern is so adorbs oh my god I love him. Also, limes are terrible destruction? Maybe a bit on the creepy side.
  • PATTERN IS MESSING WITH HER PAPERS HE IS A KITTEN-SPREN THERE YOU GO I'M RIGHT THE DOG-SPREN PEOPLE ARE WRONG HA I SO CALLED THIS
  • Shallan, Lightweaving an illusion here? On the verge of it? Pattern wants her to remember her old memories this is wonderful.
  • Deck turned green. Yep. Lightweaving. WOOOOOO
  • Liespren seems completely wrong, but also right. Very appropriate. It's amusing that they don't like the name, because it's a lie (they don't like lies, not really) made of truths. It fits.
  • Jasnah terrified? Oh my.
  • "But back then, new knights had teachers to train them, generations of tradition." Evidence the Knights were not immortal? Histories are not very trustworthy, but hrm. I guess a lot of Radiants could just end up dying every Desolation.
  • Path to Urithiru on the Shattered Plains, you say? But if it's in Shadesmar... no, that wouldn't work. Underground tunnels to it? A Radiant is needed to open the way, maybe Soulcasting, but 8/10 of the Radiants couldn't do that. Something to do with Oathgates?
  • Centuries between each Desolation.
  • "She awoke to screams, shouts, and smoke." NO NO CLIFFHANGERS NO BAD BRANDON

Knives in the Back/Soldiers in the Field

• "Most recently, Dalinar was coming to detest plateau runs. They were a frivolity, a waste of life. They weren’t about fulfilling the Vengeance Pact, but about greed." And yet, Dalinar still wants to fulfill the Vengeance Pact and kill all the Parshendi. Sigh. Give it up, Dalinar.
  • Blades are not necessarily given up when you will them to not vanish, you say?
  • "Good of you to mention Gavilar, as he didn’t bring the kingdom together with honor. He did it with knives in the back and soldiers on the field, cutting the heads off any who resisted. Are we back to that again, then?" BURNNNNNN. Also, appropriate given Gavilar really sort of was a dictator, and Dalinar sort of is one himself, given how he manipulated Elhokar.
  • Dalinar wrote the words himself? Yeah, that theory made the most sense. Voidbringers possessing men?

Walking the Grave:

• Double Nalan arch header. Do I detect Darkness visiting this chapter, or is it just going to be more about themes of law and justice?
  • Yep, it's all about laws of nature. Oh well. I wanted to see a Darkness vs. Kaladin duel.
  • Hahahaha oh Syl. Spren attracting spren would be awesome. It would be a chain reaction of spren. ... maybe that's how Honor will be reformed? You find a way to get honorspren to attract honorspren, and get all of them to combine?
  • Stormspren for Stormform Parshendi. Oh no.
  • I am really liking Syl. Something about her in WoR feels so much more right.
  • Syl was in the Cognitive realm! :o
  • Stormfather in the storm rules the honorspren? Syl was the only honorspren to come? So much information!
  • Shrine for Syl? <3

What nice chapters.

Edited by Moogle

Sly yout little devil, you made the chapter very good =)

Well Kaladin promised if he break his word he will suffer dearly. But I guess that the third ideal of the radiants are "I will keep the promises that are made" This gonna be his conflict this book. Do what he must even if he are afraid.

Also Order of Bone i liked =)

Edited by Natans

...Chapter 8.

Man, if there were any more chapters like this, I'd have to start shipping Syl and Kaladin. Forget Tara, Shallan can have Renarin or whatever, and I don't even care about Laral anymore; SylxKaladin is where it's at!

I just gagged a little in my mouth but I DON'T CARE!

Edited by Colby Jack

My quick thoughts as well:

·         Wow, Shen is going to be a spy….. L

·         Puppy. He will always be named Puppy.

·         “Terrible destruction to eat!” Puppy is calling Shallan fat.

·         Turning the deck green- first illusions

·         BOOM! Posted on lies being a different concept this morning. Loving this. I think he considered the deck illusion to be a lie and that is what used up Shallan’s Stormlight. Confirmed by Jasnah

·         Only a KR could open the way – Can’t wait for Moogle’s (?) Oathgates.

·         I could see Jasnah influencing the Kholin camp to get rid of Parshmen, but Dalinar set her up to fail with the others. Maybe that is why Navani is journaling as she is – Kholin is the only camp left?

·         WoR is a book in WoR. So meta.

·         Dalinar disliking needless deaths. Hey Moogle! J

·         Learning about  Shardblade loaning is interesting. Might add into a couple threads.

·         Dang, I was looking forward to new Dalinar cracking some skulls.

·         Dalinar suspects….  Dalinar!

·         Glad Teft is going to continue being a boss. I like Teft.

·         Glowy red spren = bad news.

·         Syl tugging her hair – The woman she saw in the market must have been Nynaeve  from WoT

·         Syl has a little weight now? I wonder what that means.
·        Stormfather is more mysterious now. Rules over some spren at least. Maybe Jezrien does make sense as he is the Herald of that Order. Hmmmmmmm...

·          NOOOOOOO! Chapter 10 please!!! Dang, why do I have the feeling we will have to wait for it?

Edited by Bloodfalcon

...Chapter 8.

Man, if there were any more chapters like this, I'd have to start shipping Syl and Kaladin. Forget Tara, Shallan can have Renarin or whatever, and I don't even care about Laral anymore; SylxKaladin is where it's at!

I just gagged a little in my mouth but I DON'T CARE!

I was sort of thinking SylxRock for a while there. He is building her a shrine...

Puppy. He will always be named Puppy.

Too bad. Messed with her papers, definite Kitten. Crytten? Pattern is okay for now.

Dalinar disliking needless deaths. Hey Moogle!

Annnnnd he's still pressing the war hard! Not terribly impressed by the implication that it would not be 'needless' death to pursue the Vengeance Pact. :P

Edited by Moogle

I was sort of thinking SylxRock for a while there. He is building her a shrine...

eh, I definitely didn't date the last guy that made me  a shrine...

Too bad. Messed with her papers, definite Kitten. Crytten? Pattern is okay for now.

Annnnnd he's still pressing the war hard! Not terribly impressed by the implication that it would not be 'needless' death to pursue the Vengeance Pact.  :P

Just a shoutout to the conversation! :)

Edited by Bloodfalcon

eh, I definitely didn't date the last guy that made me  a shrine...

Ah, but Syl doesn't think of Rock as creepy. I think there could be something there.

Also, yeah, everyone in this thread agrees that Syl is really doing well in Words of Radiance it seems. Nice job, Brandon.

Ah, but Syl doesn't think of Rock as creepy. I think there could be something there.

Also, yeah, everyone in this thread agrees that Syl is really doing well in Words of Radiance it seems. Nice job, Brandon.

Fair enough. All hail Syl, future Horneater queen!

For me, The Quote of chapter 6:

"For now, I would prefer you expend your efforts on learning this Surge, as opposed to Soulcasting. That is a dangerous art, more so now than it once was.”

Shadesmar is more dangerous than it once was.  What has changed?  The force pulling Shallan and Jasnah under the sea of beads is a relatively recent development in Shadesmar?

I agree with Bloodfalcon, it appears that Shen is a Parshendi spy.

Also, the Heralds trained the KR before the desolations.  Sounds like a significant leadership role to me.