MR TEE

Bloodfalcon

Note: Mr. T is Taravangian or however you spell his name. 

I am on vacation this weekend, so I probably won't be following up on this much, but I think Mr. T is bonded with a spren or is about to be. I just listened to the scene where Shallan draws a sketch of Mr. T and sees the symbolhead behind him. Obviously we are supposed to think that it is one of those that is following around Shallan later in the book, but I am suspicious now that it may have been her getting a glimpse of HIS spren. 

I had other thoughts that branch off of this: If Mr. T was more familiar with his spren at the time, it could have told him of Jasnah's and Shallan's spren. If you reread the section, you will see that Mr. T tries to touch on the subject of Jasnah's Soulcaster once or twice. She reassures him she got it legitimately, and he drops it, but I wonder if he was just probing because he is trying to figure out her abilities. It could mean the granddaughter behind a boulder was set up to see if the Soulcaster was working- perhaps he sabotaged it himself. 

Thoughts? 

Voidspren or Honourspren ? It seems like they are grooming Szeth to be Odium's champion and since Taravangian seems to be fully aware of how dangerous Szeth is, I don't see him giving up the power anytime soon. So Taravangian could be another of Odium's pawns.

His genius is obviously a byproduct of the blessing given him by Nightwatcher/Cultivation but there does not necessarily have to be a spren involved in that power, so yes, him being bonded to a spren is a definite possibility but he does not necessarily have to be aware of it yet. 

Edited by meddler

Personally, I would not be surprised if he was related to Ghostbloods somehow, and the spren were just there attracted to secrets abundant in environs.

About Ghostbloods: well, he may have sent Kabsal to get the fabrial. Also, I am not sure how he is going to do power grab - he is considered a retard, in a medical sense, that is. What, he is going to tell people "Obey me now, I've killed your rulers?" Obviously, he has agents, and I think they might be ghostbloods. Sorry about rambling tone, I haven't slept today yet (Brandon stream, look up my Q&A outline, if you want)

While it's possible Mr T could have a spren (aware or not) I highly doubt it's a cryptic as well. We already have Shallan bonded to one and elhokar seeing them in mirrors (likely he'll bond one) so to have a third character connected to them would be a bit lopsided since we still have more than half the orders without identified members. Not saying Sanderson wouldn't do that but I think it's unlikely.

If you reread the section, you will see that Mr. T tries to touch on the subject of Jasnah's Soulcaster once or twice. She reassures him she got it legitimately, and he drops it, but I wonder if he was just probing because he is trying to figure out her abilities.

I like this theory. Many upvotes are yours. I have nothing to add, except that I think Taravangian would be the exact sort of person to attract liespren, as, much like Shallan, he has huge important truths he's hiding. I don't know if he's bonded, though, given his POV.

Personally, I would not be surprised if he was related to Ghostbloods somehow, and the spren were just there attracted to secrets abundant in environs.

About Ghostbloods: well, he may have sent Kabsal to get the fabrial. Also, I am not sure how he is going to do power grab - he is considered a retard, in a medical sense, that is. What, he is going to tell people "Obey me now, I've killed your rulers?" Obviously, he has agents, and I think they might be ghostbloods. Sorry about rambling tone, I haven't slept today yet (Brandon stream, look up my Q&A outline, if you want)

For the record, T isn't thought of as a "retard," he's thought of as a coward but of average intelligence. In fact I think it's the fact that he's a coward, and doesn't want war that make people really look down on him, rather than his intelligence level.

I was actually thinking he was related to whatever side Amaram is on. We see Restares in the scene where kaladin is betrayed, and we find that he's a stormwarden. Kharbanth, seems to be a center for stormwardens, with Taravangian employing for his "secret" project. It's likely that Restares was sent to Alethkar in the first place.

Kabsal seemed to be afraid of being seen by Taravangian, as if he wasn't hired by T to be apart of the ardentry or just to kill Jasnah.

Edited by shadewolf

Hmm...

The lighteyes consider him less than bright:

He was a popular king, beloved by the darkeyes as a builder of hospitals. However, the lighteyes considered him less than bright.

He was not an idiot. In lighteyed politics, unfortunately, being only average was a disadvantage.

But I see what you mean. I was confused by Szeth calling him simpleminded:

Taravangian was a simpleminded man. That should have made Szeth feel more guilty, but he found himself consumed by loathing. Taravangian would not be smart enough to prepare for Szeth. Fool. Idiot.

• Chaos locked this topic