Theory: Shardblades are from the cognitive realm.

Daishi5

I have been mulling over how shardblades behave recently.  The basic issue was that Honorspren bind things while Shardblades separate things.  It struck me as weird that the weapons of the followers of Honor seemed to be so different from the behavior of that Honor seems to encourage.

The other thing that struck me is that sharblades don't really cut.  When you cut something, you are really forcing a wedge into the object and using the wedge to force the two pieces apart.  On a slight tangent, this is why a sword is never sharp enough to cut through a tank, in order to cut through something large like a tank with a sword, you need use enough force that the wedge can lift the upper part of the object you are cutting. In contrast a shardblade effortlessly passes through things, and where it passes, the object is no longer connected.  The effortless part is important, because it shows that the blade is not lifting the things it cuts to make room for the blade to pass through.  If it passes through person, that persons (mind or soul, unclear which) is no longer connected to the body.  If it just hits a limb, that limb no longer functions as part of the body.

My theory is that shardblades exist in the cognitive realm, and when they cut things, they cut the actual cognitive aspect of things.  Whatever a shardblade passes through, that object no longer sees itself as a singular thing, its cognitive aspect is split and the two new objects don't see themselves as connected, so they are no longer connected.

If I am right, that means that blades can probably kill spren.  I am not sure exactly what my theory would mean for where blades are stored when they are not in the owners hand.  This also might mean that in the past spren gave the KR blades and plate.  

This also gave me a wild idea about the recreance.

Hey, that's a cool observation!  So if Honor binds, is it Cultivation that cuts/separates and thus brings about shardblades?  Sort of like a gardener giving out spiritual pruning shears?  

Edited by YmYm

That's actually what makes me think that the 'spren giving themselves up to create shard blades' theory isn't quite right. Spren are creatures of the cognitive realm, while shardblades affect the spiritual. I'm waiting for more information about the realms before I subscribe to a theory.

I just want to point out that human's are beings of the physical world, but shardblades can harm them by attacking their "souls" in the spiritual. Why is it that human's have souls in the first place? Is it because they're alive, if so, what is it that makes them alive? From what we've seen of the spren, they seem very much alive, even the term "living idea" suggests that they're alive. Does this mean they have souls? If spren do have souls does that mean that a shardblade could kill them if it does attack the spiritual?

So yeah that's alot of question, that I'd love to get more information to answer.

I would argue that the purpose of Shardblades is to kill spren.  Thunderclasts are spren animating stone, I think. 

If spren are things, Jasnah says:

All things have three components: the soul, the body, and the mind.

So I think Shardblades sever their souls as well. 

I think it is this quote:

Kurkistan ()

Does a limb that has been "severed" by a Shardblade have any Hemalurgic bindpoints? If the same limb was then cut off more conventionally, would a Bloodmaker ferring be able to grow it back?

Brandon Sanderson

A severed Shardblade limb needs repair to the soul before it would function again. A Bloodmaker would be able to heal it without needing to grow it back.

At least it definitely says soul damage, and we can assume that soul of something is in Spiritual Realm.

• Chaos locked this topic