Passion as a Shard

mycoltbug

So I've been doing some heavy thinking about my theory about Kiin in the Way of Kings and how Passion has a capital letter. At LTUE, Rubix and firstrainbowrose and I were doing some general discussions on things in the books and talking about deeper subjects. We started to talk about the Kiin theory when a casual comment popped up by me, "What if it's capitalized because it's the name of another Shard found on Roshar."

So my theory is and is loosely supported by them that Passion is another Shard. I don't have the exact quotes and pages on me now that I'm at work but I'll do my best to back up the theory.

Brandon did say that there are multiple magic systems on Roshar, I believe and correct me if I'm wrong he said it was 15. If it is 15 and we follow the standard that all the shards fuel 3 magic types that would mean there are 5 shards on Roshar. We know about Cultivation, Odium and the Almight, which would mean by my math 2 left. Passion I believe is one.

Cultivation when it refers to her is in caps, same as the Almighty. I think that is what is my major defense of the theory but the other one is that through out the book they talk about things like the "thrill" and other such emotional drawings. When Vin took preservations shard she felt compelled to a certain extent to save people.

/discuss

actually BS said there's going to be like 30 magic systems. if we assume that the magic systems are divided evenly between the 3 Shards we know about, that means each Shard gets to fuel 10 magic systems, and 10 is like a big important number on this world.

Also, Ruin and Reservation each have their own personal magic and then there's Feruchemy which comes from both, so each Shard in Mistborn is only fueling 1.5 magic systems, so your logic doesn't work.

It seems pretty blatantly clear that there are three Shards on Roshar. In fact, Brandon told me so.

That doesn't mean there couldn't be a Shard named Passion elsewhere, just not Roshar.

Perhaps Passion, if he is a shard, is on Sel (Elantris world).

What if Passion is Skai? Over and over again, it mentions Dilaf's passion (although I don't recall it being capitalized). And Dilaf is the only one to mention the Skaze (pg 479 paperback). Perhaps it is the one behind the Dahkor monks.

EDIT- I found the capitalized word you're looking for. It's not Kiin (Uncle to Sarene in Elantris). It's Yalb (the servant who shows Shallan around when she gets rejected by Jasnah).

Hardback 133 WoK-

"Don't know much blustering math," Yalb said, folding his arms. "But I do know the Passions. You win when you need it most, you see."

The Passions. Pagan superstition.

Edit Edit- Darn it. That kind blows away any support for my theory. I was hoping Kiin said something about Passion.

Edit Edit Edit- Did you know that "passion" doesn't show up a single time in Warbreaker? It shows up many times in the other books, but not once in Warbreaker.

Perhaps. It doesn't make too much sense, though, with Chaos's Principle of Intent. Dahkor makes sense (Ruin himself says that a man's passion is not true until he proves how much he's willing to sacrifice for it.) Clayshan as an intermediate does (it's passion, but contained, controlled, directed, peaceful). But AonDor doesn't seem to.

Maybe we need to look for something a little bit off. Look at Scadrial. It's not Preservation and Change, and it's not Ruin and Creation. It's something slightly different. I believe we need to look for that.

It seems pretty blatantly clear that there are three Shards on Roshar. In fact, Brandon told me so.

That doesn't mean there couldn't be a Shard named Passion elsewhere, just not Roshar.

Well I guess it squashes Passion as a shard on Roshar. Didn't know he had confirmed it yet. Was this an in person type thing or something that he wrote somewhere? I still think there is something more to be learned of Passion as a shard. Maybe the person that mentions it is from a world where Passion exists as a shard or something. Not sure.

Well I guess it squashes Passion as a shard on Roshar. Didn't know he had confirmed it yet. Was this an in person type thing or something that he wrote somewhere? I still think there is something more to be learned of Passion as a shard. Maybe the person that mentions it is from a world where Passion exists as a shard or something. Not sure.

It was via email to me, but I haven't posted it. I got it before 17th Shard had launched.

Besides, remember "three of sixteen rules, but now the Broken One reigns"? Yeah. Really crystal clear evidence of three Shards on Roshar.

It was via email to me, but I haven't posted it. I got it before 17th Shard had launched.

Besides, remember "three of sixteen rules, but now the Broken One reigns"? Yeah. Really crystal clear evidence of three Shards on Roshar.

Ah, yes there are alot of answers like that he sends out that aren't ever archived any where. I had forgotten about that little line.

Ah, yes there are alot of answers like that he sends out that aren't ever archived any where. I had forgotten about that little line.

I know I do need to post it :P But some of my questions are awfully outdated...

"Don't know much blustering math," Yalb said, folding his arms. "But I do know the Passions. You win when you need it most, you see."

The Passions. Pagan superstition.

This complicates things. This is definitely a religious reference, and, looking at Brandon's other books, he tends to have every religion have some truth to it. Could it be like in Mistborn? Where they knew Preservation as Terr?

At LTUE, Rubix and firstrainbowrose and I were doing some general discussions on things in the books and talking about deeper subjects.

I didn't see you! When did you hang out with Rubix and FRR?

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion...Passion sounds like an excellent Shard name, but I don't think it fits in Sel.

I remember that from KOTOR!

About the Passions, it may be related to the Shards on Roshar, but it doesn't have to be a direct correlation. Though, something like the Passions would work best with a Shard named Luck or Chance or Matrim Cauthon... not Honor, Odium, or Cultivation.

Also remember that while most of the Mistborn religions had truth in them, they weren't right about their gods or what their gods did. Usually the truth was more in touch with the world itself, like the way the human body works, or its position via the stars, or maps.

And now for something completely different. The Code of the Sith predates KOTOR, but it is definitely the coolest place where it is referenced. :D

I got the vague impression it's more common then just Shardbearers, although I suspect that the SB and SP may be corrupted and amplifying it. it's apparently an Alethi thing, possibly just a lighteyes thing, although Kaladin really likes holding a weapon even as a kid.

• 1 month later...

It is, the book says it began around the same time Gavilar began fighting the Parshendi I think, but I don't that means the two aren't connected. Do we know how long the Thrill has been around? Think about it, one drives men to kill, while the other manifests when people die. King Taravangian mentions that some speak but others don't, when referring to his "patients." What if, the ones who speak are the ones who are killed, and the ones who die without being killed are the ones who don't?

Also, while rereading this scene, Taravangian mentions Lifebrother, who sounds kind of Cultivation-ish. Any theories on that yet?

EDIT:

I was just rereading one of the interludes, in which Ashir is talking of changing his Calling (Which is Vorin docterine), and says "I don't have passion for it as I once did... ...Besides, what good will a cook be in the Spiritual Realm." (Italics were present in text). He also wonders if people eat in Shadesmar. IS this relevant, or am I grasping at straws?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just rereading one of the interludes, in which Ashir is talking of changing his Calling (Which is Vorin docterine), and says "I don't have passion for it as I once did... ...Besides, what good will a cook be in the Spiritual Realm." (Italics were present in text). He also wonders if people eat in Shadesmar. IS this relevant, or am I grasping at straws?

I thought the italics were him putting emphasis on not feeling energetic about what he is doing and not any special meaning.

So, yeah. Straws.

• Chaos locked this topic