Mistborn: The Inquisition

Chaos

• 2 weeks later...

It largely depends on how well and fast you can write. And how good you are at creating a character or characters and then making them interesting (aka giving them good conflicts and character arcs). Personally, I find them to be pretty easy but I've had some experience with writing in general. If you consider yourself a strong writer or want experience to help you with your writing, I'd suggest giving it a try.

I've considered joining this but right now I don't feel like I can make the commitment. I'd really like to because I feel I've produced some of my best writing in text-based RPGs, but college is going to be keeping me busy while I get used to classes and tie up some beginning of the year things.

Well, LadyArianna, seeing as how you type in complete sentences with actual capitalization and punctuation, you're definitely on the right track. And no, I'm not being facetious. You'd be surprised at the things I've seen in the wide world of forum RPing.

Like Zayde said, a large part of it is your characterization and whether or not you can write on demand. Of course, this is an acquired skill; I've actually used forum RP as a training exercise to practice writing when I wouldn't normally feel like it.

If you're not sure where to go or what to do, I'd recommend heading over to the boards and looking around. You can scan character biographies, read threads, etc. If you decide you'd like to try and participate and aren't sure where to go, feel free to hit me up via PM or IM for a character brainstorming session. I know writing a character for the first time can be daunting, but don't worry. Once you get started, it's actually quite fun (and, in my case, addicting XD).

I haven't registered yet because I'm kind of confused.  Are you supposed to name the account after your character?  But you can have multiple characters?  And on the application form there's a part labelled:

Player Information:

Handle:

What does that mean?

For each character, you would make a new account and name it after that character.

Player Information is the heading under which Handle and Contact are listed. Handle refers to the name you use, not the character, to let people know who's playing the character - for example, you would put down Silus as your handle on every character application you filled out.

Contact is just how people can get in contact with you if they need to, like for coming up with plots. AIM, Yahoo, Skype, private message, whatever means you would prefer.

Exactly. You can simply list "PM" as your contact information if you wish, while some players list email, IM, etc in addition to that.

We do ask that you name your account after your character, however, if you'd like to register as, for example, Silius, so you can introduce yourself and start posting in the OoC sections of the board, that's fine. When you create a character, one of the admins will be happy to change your username to match your character's name. All you have to do is ask.

And to answer your other question, yes: you can have as many characters as you want. Each one will have a separate account with his or her name as the username. Because of this, we also ask that you list your characters in your signatures for a quick reference as to whose characters are whose. Chaos and I both use images, but some players use plain text.

• 1 month later...

Some players use plain text because they don't know how to do fancy images :(

And Lady Arianna, I've never done any sort of RP before (I started in one text one once, but quit soon after because it died), and I am loving this one.  There's a real story going on here, and it's really getting quite epic!  And if you put a little bit of effort in, it's surprising how quickly your characters can become entrenched in the storyline.  I'd like to second (or third?) the point that it's writing practice.  This RP has pretty much changed the whole way I write, plus I've made some of my best characters in it.

This is an endorsement to everyone who read this: Mistborn: The Inquisition, is totally worth joining.  And one more note: When the admins have suggestions: listen.  They know everything that is going on in the story right now, and have pretty much seen it all when it comes to character applications.  They know what works, what doesn't, and what's best for the RP.  And your character will probably turn out better as a result of their help.

This is an endorsement to everyone who read this: Mistborn: The Inquisition, is totally worth joining.  And one more note: When the admins have suggestions: listen.  They know everything that is going on in the story right now, and have pretty much seen it all when it comes to character applications.  They know what works, what doesn't, and what's best for the RP.  And your character will probably turn out better as a result of their help.

Also listen to me. Because my characters rock.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 years later...

An update regarding the inactive status of Mistborn: the Inquisition.  

Text for easy reading:

Spoiler

Hello All.

This has been a long time coming, and it probably comes as a surprise to no one, but we as a staff have decided to officially conclude Misborn: the Inquisition. We could have continued to just let things sit, as we have, but it felt wrong to let something we've loved and put so much work into go without closure.

What this means, on a practical level, is that we will not be accepting any new character applications, or performing regular moderation on the site. We will not continue to plot out grander arcs, or large events like balls. Existing players can continue to post together as they wish, but we as the staff will not be coordinating things going forward. People can also feel free to post summaries or epilogues for their characters.

All of the in-character threads in the "Luthadel" section will remain open for posting by current participants. All other sections of the forum will be locked, and all out of character discussion should shift to Discord. We will be available in the Discord server if any moderation is required, but will not be regularly monitoring or approving things. The Discord server will continue to be a place for this community to gather and chat about the story.

This decision has definitely not been easy - we've been struggling with it for the better part of five years, to put things in perspective. While there have been momentary revivals or spikes of interest from new players, there has been a downward trend in activity for a long time now, and the departure of many key players over time has made finishing up some of our bigger plotlines impossible.

At this point, all of our lives have also moved on, and our priorities as a staff have shifted significantly. It no longer feels right to invite participation by new players when we do not have the time or interest to continue leading things.

On a personal note, I hope that you all have enjoyed MBI as much as I have. In my decade of participation in this project, I've written more fiction than I have anywhere else. You all have taught me a whole lot about who I am as a writer, and you have my lasting gratitude for that. I've developed characters I've fallen in love with who will continue to live on in my imagination for the rest of my life. I've also made some great (hopefully life-long) friendships.

To everyone who has participated in this incredible project over the years: thank-you. To any readers from the future coming across this relic: we hope you enjoy our little slice of Scadriel's fanon history. I know I will.

See you later, Mist-Gremlins :).