Theory: Same magic system on two planets

ub96

i apologize if this has already been brought up.

I read in an interview the brandon confirmed that he has used a magic system from one world on another world in his current published works.

In WoK we see surgebinders drawing in stormlight to fuel their powers.

In mistborn Vin draws in the mists to boost her strength.

could this be the crossover magic system?

If so we know the mists are part of leras could the stormlight be part of one of the shards on Roshar?

hmmm...while similar in this respect, i say they differ in too many others. For example, lashings only slightly resemble some mistborn powers but not in exactly the same ways (i.e. the gravity shift could be the same as pulling yourself towards an anchor, but there was no metal involved when it happened, and mistborns couldnt make things stick together) plus there was no metal swallowing required, as kaladin didn't need to.

So, like i said, while this "drawing in" aspect is similar, i'm gonna have to go with the conservative answer and say no.

We asked him later on if Lightweaving(a magic system found in Liar of Partinel) was what Hoid was using when talking to Kaladin. He said yes, but that there was more there than meets the eye. Which leads me to believe it's entirely plausible to blend multiple magics into one thing.

I'm almost positive that The Old Magic carries that adjective because it pre-dates the Almighty's arrival on Roshar, or at least the creation of humanity.

Other than that, it would be the Elantrians that visit the fishing village.

BTW, AonDor seems to be almost as versatile as the One Power in the Age of Legends, just not as strong or fast.

Well, we seem to have seen Lightweaving on Roshar, so I'll have to count that as the most likely example.  Hoid seemed to have other abilities as well, especially in regards to the music.

This is the obvious example, I know.  It's just that without evidence, I don't see it going much further that this.

The people we saw in Clearlake were probably from Sel, but we don't know for certain that they are Elantrians.  Even if they are Elantrians, they might not have been using their magic.  So that one is more questionable.

• 5 years later...

Careful, you don't want to make it a competition...

*Sorely tempted to skip to last page of the forum and necro oldest thread*

*Resists because is a nice person*

*Remembers is first lurker of Dark Alley*

*Shrugs and goes to sharpen spikes instead*

:ph34r:

• Chaos locked this topic