Alternate Names For Rending

In Firefight, Regalia asks David if he's ever heard of the Rending, that special time in an Epic's life when they go briefly insane and murder all their friends. The name is taken from the verb rend, which is a little-used synonym for the verb tear. Which makes sense—an Epic is being torn from their previous lives and sense of morality, and the word rending is appropriately ominous enough to convey what is happening. 

However, according to my good friend Thesaurus.com, rend is not the only synonym Sanderson could have used. With one small difference in word choice, Regalia could have told David about….

• The Cracking ("Release the Cracking!") 
  • The Division (fourth-grade students scream in terror) 
  • The Plucking (chickens beware) 
  • The Scratching (new Epics are itching for murder) 
  • The Evulsion (not conjuring pleasant images here) 
  • The Shredding (this probably happened to the Epic Sk8er Boi)
  • The Extraction (of justice!) 
  • The Snatching (because new Epics just escaped from a D-list horror flick?) 

and, my personal favorite….

• The Frazzlement 

Sorry, I still think that Rending is the best word for it.  It's slightly archaic (but not so archaic, people won't have heard it) and has mostly negative connotations.  I don't think we can say that for any of the other words that have been suggested.

Sorry, I still think that Rending is the best word for it.  It's slightly archaic (but not so archaic, people won't have heard it) and has mostly negative connotations.  I don't think we can say that for any of the other words that have been suggested.

I too failed to notice the "not serious" tag on the thread at first. ;):P

I too failed to notice the "not serious" tag on the thread at first. ;):P

I actually did know that it wasn't serious, but, well, if anyone comes up with something really cool in this thread, we'd all gladly pretend otherwise, wouldn't we?

Anyway, my suggestion is: The Fracking.  Most people still don't know what fracking is, it seems kinda ominous (they've already made an environmental movie against it) and it sounds bad.  So there.

I actually did know that it wasn't serious, but, well, if anyone comes up with something really cool in this thread, we'd all gladly pretend otherwise, wouldn't we?

Anyway, my suggestion is: The Fracking. Most people still don't know what fracking is, it seems kinda ominous (they've already made an environmental movie against it) and it sounds bad. So there.

For some reason, I'm now imagining an in-universe movie called An Inconvenient Fracking. :huh:

Anyway, my suggestion is: The Fracking.  Most people still don't know what fracking is, it seems kinda ominous (they've already made an environmental movie against it) and it sounds bad.  So there.

That actually sounds more like a swear word to me.

"Would somebody get me a fracking cup of coffee?"

Maybe I just spend too much time around foul-mouthed people. :P

I so agree. There was this Economy commercial on around voting time last year here in my home town about how , "Vote Mr. NAME AND ADDRESS WITHHELD, and stop fracking in our beautiful state." I laughed so hard at dinner I shot water out of my nose.

...did anyone get the spongebob reference...

Edited by TheSpartanDuck

Firefight alternate ending:

"Have you heard of the Happening?"

I had. Before Calamity, it was a movie my dad turned off before the end, calling it "an insult to entertainment." After, it was a punishment. For substandard work. For angering a wealthy customer. For harming another Factory worker.

And now Regalia would force me to watch it.

"No," I whispered. "I mean, no, please don't make me watch it! Please!"

Her water projection blinked. "I--what?"

By that point I was on my knees. "Please, Regalia! Please don't make me watch that movie! I'll--I'll do anything!"

"It's not a movie, David! It's--"

I wrapped my arms around her legs. "Yes it is!" I sobbed. "It's a movie and it's horrible and I'm sorry for whatever I did that made you think I needed to see it!"

Regalia sighed deeply. "I was going to have Calamity make you into an Epic so you'd murder all your friends...but it appears even he doesn't want you anymore."

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Hey, it could be worse.

garbage4.jpeg

Seriously, it has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Do you realize how hard that is to do?

Edit: Oh my, this is frightening.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_a_0%25_rating_on_Rotten_Tomatoes

Well, looks like we have some new torture equipment for our epic overlords.

Edited by Patrick Star

Hey, it could be worse.

garbage4.jpeg

Seriously, it has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. Do you realize how hard that is to do?

Edit: Oh my, this is frightening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_a_0%25_rating_on_Rotten_Tomatoes

Oh dear. Well, now we know what David would've faced, had Enforcement arrested him for the Fortuity hit. Not beatings, as we're led to believe....but a night tied to a chair, forced to watch Manos: The Hands of Fate. No wonder they thought he might not survive. Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Oh dear. Well, now we know what David would've faced, had Enforcement arrested him for the Fortuity hit. Not beatings, as we're led to believe....but a night tied to a chair, forced to watch Manos: The Hands of Fate. No wonder they thought he might not survive.

Not Manos!  That movie even broke the actor in Mystery Science Theater 3000.  With a child who had never been exposed to it, it would have immediately driven them insane!

Not Manos! That movie even broke the actor in Mystery Science Theater 3000. With a child who had never been exposed to it, it would have immediately driven them insane!

The Enforcement officers who arrested him did say "If you survive the night." Let's face it: Steelheart is not a nice man. Exposing a teenager to Manos is probably the least of his atrocities.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Edit: Oh my, this is frightening.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_a_0%_rating_on_Rotten_Tomatoes

What the actual heck. MANY of those movies were 'money grab' movies that studios made very quickly and trashy for money, no were near as good as the first

• Chaos locked this topic