The properties of the God Metals

ReaderAt2046

So this thread is going to be a place where we can speculate as to the Allomantic, Feruchemical, and Hemalurgic properties of the various God Metals. Here are my thoughts:

Lerasium:

Allomantic: Produces Mistborn (known).

Feruchemical: Stores Allomantic charge (burn steel, and put the ability to Push on metals in a Lerasiummind, then draw it out again to Steelpush without burning steel).

Hemalurgic: Steals all Allomantic powers (if you killed a Mistborn with a Lerasium spike, it would steal all his powers, not just one.)

Sazedium:

Allomantic: When burned in conjunction with another metal, causes that metal to release its Feruchemical charge (as if it were a metalmind). If burned in conjucntion with a metalmind, it releases both its allomantic and its feruchemical effect.

Feruchemical: Stores anything and anyone can store in it.

Hemalugic: Steals any one feruchemical power.

Atium:

Allomantic: Shows the futures of others (known)

Feruchemical: Stores youth (known)

Hemalurgic: Steals any one allomantic or feruchemical power (known).

Also Brandon (I believe) has said that a lerasium alloy with an allomantic metal, would make you a misting of that metal. I think he also hinted that other God metal alloys would do other things as well. I don't have the quote off hand but i'm sure its here somewhere. And malatium is an alloy of atium I think.

If that is the case could any visiting Shard leave a piece of themselves behind for use as an Allomantic Metal? Say, for instance, Odium came to Scadrial could he create his own Allomantic metal. If so can we call it Odiumium?

FYI: Atium and Lerasium, while named for their holders, are not pieces of those holders, and Sazed as Harmony holds both shards seperatly from each other not merged together. There is no Sazedium/Harmonium unless it's an alloy of Lerasium and Atium, which may or may not be possible.

FYI: Atium and Lerasium, while named for their holders, are not pieces of those holders, and Sazed as Harmony holds both shards seperatly from each other not merged together. There is no Sazedium/Harmonium unless it's an alloy of Lerasium and Atium, which may or may not be possible.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Nearly. Does Harmony have a metal?

FIRE ARCADIA

Is that an alloy of Lerasium and Atium?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You're along the right lines.

Based on this quote, many Sharders have been thinking that there is a metal, that some call "Sazedium", that is an alloy of Lerasium and Atium.

Atium, if I remember correctly, was the body of Ati. I don't remember if Lerasium was the same for Leras. That's where my previous comment comes from, and I think why they were God Metals - because they were pieces of an actual god.

Atium is the solid manifestation of Ruin's power as Lerasium is the solid manifestation of Preservation's power.

Yep. The body and power of a Shard are one and the same. I'm almost positive that it says that in one of Sazed's epigraphs.

As a chemist, I can't help but feeling that an alloy of atium and lerasium should not be possible. not all molten metals mixes with each other. some just stay apart, like water and oil. And a rule of thumb in chemistry says "the similar dissolves the similar": similar stuff gets dissolved in each other, and dissimilar stuff do not get dissolved.

I expect there would be nothing more dissimilar than atium and lerasium, so they should not mix (by the way, now I would be curious to know what kind of atoms are they).

However there could be some ways to go around that, for example heat enough to get your atium/lerasium mixture into a supercritical state, where they would be perfectly solublle in each other, and then coold it down quickly enough to trap the system into that state, forming a metastable alloy.

Well, enough chemical nerdishness for today, I better stop here before I write a threaty on the properties of imaginary metals.

As a chemist, I can't help but feeling that an alloy of atium and lerasium should not be possible. not all molten metals mixes with each other. some just stay apart, like water and oil. And a rule of thumb in chemistry says "the similar dissolves the similar": similar stuff gets dissolved in each other, and dissimilar stuff do not get dissolved.

I expect there would be nothing more dissimilar than atium and lerasium, so they should not mix (by the way, now I would be curious to know what kind of atoms are they).

However there could be some ways to go around that, for example heat enough to get your atium/lerasium mixture into a supercritical state, where they would be perfectly solublle in each other, and then coold it down quickly enough to trap the system into that state, forming a metastable alloy.

Well, enough chemical nerdishness for today, I better stop here before I write a threaty on the properties of imaginary metals.

Given the powers that we've seen in Way of Kings (Soulcasting), I would guess that there is something more than/which replaces our real-world atoms and molecules. There is no reason, in the real world, why soulcasting blood should be easier than any other organics. Thus our speculation must, alas, be kept separate from how atomic structure works.

Why do you speculate that the fact that blood has a fairly unique chemical composition and structure at the molecular level compared to meat, bone, or nerve tissue would have nothing to do with why it works differently? Seems as likely a set of reasons as any other.

As I remember, it is half-confirmed, that an atium spike can steal any power, not only Scadrial-specific ones. So it can steal Feruchemy and Allomancy, but probably also that thing that makes you an Elantrian. Or Soulcasting. Etc.

I wonder what could be stolen from Hoid...

I think that now that Harmony is holding both Ruin and Preservation, they can be alloyed together. Or it can't be alloyed by normal means, but by doing some kind of Shardy hocus pocus they can both be part of a process that consumes both the metals and produces Harmony's metal?

• Chaos locked this topic