Lerasium Alloys

50Metals

This is just for fun, but I did put some thought into it. Like many people, I've come up with a list of the possible effects of each of the 16 alloys of Lerasium.

Assumptions I've made:

1) Atium is an external metal, that, when alloyed with gold, makes an external metal (Okay, that is debatable). I assumed that Lerasium counted as an internal metal. Thus, I believe Lerasium alloys can be internal, even though the unalloyed metal is external.

2) I assumed that Lerasium did not have the power to make internal metals external.

3) I assumed that all Lerasium alloys would be related to physical/enhancement allomantic powers, even if the metals were temporal/mental.

4) Since burning Lerasium+anything makes a misting, I have to assume the mistings can burn their associated Lerasium alloy as well. I.e., a Lurcher can also burn the iron+Lerasium alloy. I'd be interested in hearing what you think of this.

Okay, so here we go:

Iron+Lerasium: Pulls metals towards each other.

Steel+Lerasium: Pushes metals away from each other.

Tin+Lerasium: Dulls senses (similar to a windwhisperer storing senses).

Pewter+Lerasium: Heals the body of damage done by pewter-dragging, flaring metals too long (i.e. savants), and heavy metal poisoning.

Brass+Lerasium: pushes heat away from the allomancer. (May need to grant some immunity to cold as well, if it effects one's own body heat. Or perhaps that is the danger of using the metal. PS: Perhaps a firesoul/soother twinborn could become a living flamethower using this metal. Or maybe that is just my love of comic books corrupting my theories)

Zinc+Lerasium: pulls heat towards the allomancer. (Perhaps this grants immunity to heat while it is being burned, as I imagine the allomancer would overheat quickly. PS: this might be a quick way for a Firesoul/Rioter twinborn to fill his brassminds.)

Bronze+Lerasium: Can identify metals perfectly without chemical tests. OR grants increased understanding of allomancy in some way. (I am most unsure about this one. It doesn't fit with assumptions 2 and 3).

Copper+Lerasium: Prevents Hemalurgy from operating within the copper cloud.

Gold+L: Pulls on light. (i.e. increases shadows around the allomancer.) **does not fit with assumption 2, but I really like the idea.

Electrum+L: Pushes on light (i.e. makes the allomancer appear reflective. rather useless) *also does not fit with assumption 2, but my hope is that a mistborn burning both these metals could manipulate light in such a way as to become invisible.

Bendalloy+L: allows a time bubble that moves with the allomancer. (not an entirely original idea. I think I read a similar theory in another forum).

Cadmium+L: Allows one to leave a time bubble. (same as above. not my original idea).

Aluminum+L: Allows one to "smolder" metals. (i.e. the opposite of flaring. Burns a metal more slowly and less powerfully for more delicate or subtle allomantic work)

Duralumin+L: enhances the next metal burned without exhausting the supply of that metal, in other words, gives a duralmin boost without the negative side effects.

Chromium+L: Transfers allomantic abilities from one person to another, but without killing the donor like hemalurgy. (not sure if permanent or temporary).

Nicrosil+L: Transfers feruchemical abilities from one person to another, but without killing the donor like hemalurgy.

(again, not sure if permanent or temporary).

There it is. Comments? Criticism?

@ CrazyRioter. From the table of allomantic metals: "In alloyed form, [Lerasium] produced various expanded physical and enhancement effects" The creation of mistings is a side effect of burning a lerasium alloy, not the primary effect.

@Aethling. You may be right, but I hope not; that would be so boring. Plus, it is inferred in the ars arcanum of AoL that Lerasium alloys can store new feruchemical traits. This suggests to me that the alloys are new allomantic metals as well, much like malatium is different from either Gold or Atium.

While it may be boring, we have confirmation from Brandon. And such an affect *is* different Allomantically from each of the 'parent' metals. Moreover, the more you burned of the Lerasium alloy, the stronger your Misting power would be. That's both permanent and stacks with itself (i.e., burning more later makes you stronger still). If even that isn't exciting, consider the potential ramifications of a Misting burning a Lerasium alloy for another metal.

And if that still isn't enough, each metal has more than one alloy with Lerasium (or Atium, for that matter). So while a 50/50 mix might make a Misting, maybe a 30/70 would do exactly what you think, and a 65/35 would do something entirely different still.

While it may be boring, we have confirmation from Brandon. And such an affect *is* different Allomantically from each of the 'parent' metals.

I'm confused, which is it? Does burning Lerasium alloys just mean increased power, or does it create a different effect. And I'm curious where Brandon talks about this. New to the forum.

Lerasium is an Allomantic metal anyone can burn. The effect of burning Lerasium is to increase your connection to Preservation, which strengthens your Allomancy (and gives it to you if you didn't already have it). When the Lerasium is alloyed, it strengthens your connection to Preservation, modified by the other metal in the alloy, giving you a specific type of Allomancy (Misting) and strengthening it. When unalloyed, it makes Mistborn.

The Brandonothology is a collection of Q&As with Brandon Sanderson, and it contains a crapton of useful information for speculating on the universe.

Moreover, the more you burned of the Lerasium alloy, the stronger your Misting power would be. That's both permanent and stacks with itself (i.e., burning more later makes you stronger still). If even that isn't exciting, consider the potential ramifications of a Misting burning a Lerasium alloy for another metal.

Unfortunately, neither of these is true. The Mistborn RPG states that you can only benefit from Lerasium or one of its alloys once, after which it has no effect. In addition, it is stated that if a Misting burns a Lerasium alloy for a power other than his, he loses his orginal power. Both of these statements are second-order canon, so you'll have to find a direct Brandon statement to disprove them.

17TH SHARD

If a Mistborn burns lerasium, as in, not just ingests it, what effect would it grant Allomantically?

BRANDON SANDERSON

That is a RAFO. It would do something, but the thing you've gotta remember is that, when ingesting lerasium for the first time and gaining the powers, your body is actually burning it. Think of lerasium as a metal anyone can burn. Does that make sense?

17TH SHARD

It does.

BRANDON SANDERSON

By burning it you gain access to those powers. It rewrites your spiritual DNA, and there are ways to do really cool things with lerasium that I don't see how anyone would know. Were most Mistborn to just burn it, it would rewrite their genetic code to increase their power as an Allomancer.

Empahsis added. I'll admit that it does not disprove any of the RPG, but it does indicate that there's a lot more possible than we are aware of. I was mostly trying to err on the side of making it exciting for the OP, my apologies.

Empahsis added. I'll admit that it does not disprove any of the RPG, but it does indicate that there's a lot more possible than we are aware of. I was mostly trying to err on the side of making it exciting for the OP, my apologies.

Thank you for bringing that up. I think the prevailing theory there is that with the right knowledge, you could gain any Shard-based power.

Thank you for bringing that up. I think the prevailing theory there is that with the right knowledge, you could gain any Shard-based power.

perhaps providing evidence that the 'element' mentioned in WoK is in fact lerasium, since if this was true, it would be as valuable as the letter makes it seem.

sorry to derail, just struck me that if lerasium does work that way, it is easily one of the most dangerous things in the cosmere.

Maybe... Here you go.

17TH SHARD

Are there a limited amount of atium and lerasium alloys for each metal?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Hmm, yes…I suppose there would be but there are…

17TH SHARD

More than sixteen?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah, way more than sixteen.

17TH SHARD

Oh wow. Okay. That's fascinating. More than sixteen and less than infinite.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

My link

I'm fairly certain creating mistings is a mere side effect of Lerasium alloys, and I'm sticking to that theory until I hear convincing evidence otherwise.

From coppermind wiki "Alloys of lerasium have the side effect of turning those who burn them into Mistings of the metal lerasium is alloyed with. The primary effects of lerasium alloys is also unknown. "

Edited by Windrunner
Please don't double post in such rapid succession. You can simply edit the original to add a new thought or info.

I'm fairly certain creating mistings is a mere side effect of Lerasium alloys, and I'm sticking to that theory until I hear convincing evidence otherwise.

From coppermind wiki "Alloys of lerasium have the side effect of turning those who burn them into Mistings of the metal lerasium is alloyed with. The primary effects of lerasium alloys is also unknown. "

As pointed out by Brandon in the quote I gave, burning Lerasium rewrites your spiritual genetic code (which means the Coppermind is out of date, as we have Word of God on that). I'm pretty sure this is the effect: rewriting sDNA. The side effect is, assuming you don't know how to channel it in another fashion, it rewrites your sDNA to a default result, that being an Allomancer. When unalloyed, it gives you the full Mistborn suite of powers. When alloyed with an Allomantically active metal, it rewrites your sDNA with that metal, making you a Misting. Again, unless you know how to change how it is rewriting your sDNA. Theoretically, one might be able to render themselves immune to emotional Allomancy, invisible to Seekers, perhaps even alter the rate at which one burns through metal. We have no idea what these other side effects may be, but really, the only actual effect is to rewrite your sDNA.

So, to sum up, "You're right, there's more!" Is that a convincing enough argument? ;)

Edited by Eric

Chaos:Does atium have a "side effect", much like how lerasium has a "side effect" in creating Mistborn?

Brandon Sanderson: RAFO

This seems to indicate there was information previously given that designated how Lerasium creating Mistborn is a "side effect", but I couldn't find a quote that actually said that outright.

Does this mean that becoming a Mistborn is a "side effect" of the increased connection to Preservation or that the increased connection to Preservation is a "side effect" to Lerasium's primary effect?

I suspect that it is possible to burn Lerasium to produce the effect of any of the base metals with a significant increase in power, just like Vin burning the mists. Though she might be the only person in the entire series who can do it.

I'd been thinking the same thing, or at least the part about being able to stand in for any of the other metals. It just seems nicely symmetrical with how Atium spikes can steal anything in Hemalurgy.

This seems to indicate there was information previously given that designated how Lerasium creating Mistborn is a "side effect", but I couldn't find a quote that actually said that outright.

It's from the annotations. That stuff really needs to be in the Database....

Regardless, if a person can get more Preservation into them, they become better Allomancers. Hence Elend becoming a Mistborn. Like all people, he had the potential within him—it was just too small of a potential to be awakened through normal means. That little jolt of Preservation's body, however, expanded and awakened his Allomancy. As a tidbit, that was a side effect of what that bead of metal did. It wasn't the main purpose of the bead, and if another Allomancer were to burn it, it would do something else. ;)

Source

Peter has said, though, that that wording is misleading.

• Chaos locked this topic