Weapons for misting/ ferrings

RJWB0mb

I have been curious what kinda weapons may develope to meet the unique abillitys of mistings and ferrings.

such as bow and arrows with a greater draw strength for pewter, or silencers for tin, perhaps a type of toxic agent that would make people more infulenced by soothers ect.

And, of course, time bombs for Pulsers/Sliders. Didn't somebody already do the internal pin idea in AoL? (I haven't read it, but someone said that in the hazekilling thread.)

the pin idea came from wax's gun that had an internal safety pin only an iron or steel allomancer could turn on or off.

Compound bows probably aren't too far out of the timeline for Alloy. Tip them with non-metalic heads or aluminum points and you would have a seriously deadly bow for a pewter arm. They would make a good stealth weapon as they are very quiet. The issue would be finding wood shafts strong enough for the arrows.

Grenades would be good for pretty much any class. Make them out of ceramics with tiny pebbles, shards of glass, or pottery bbs and you would have a semi-ranged, timed weapon capable of taking out large numbers.

Atlatls, I think that is close to how it is spelled, for pewterarms. Launch spears several hundred or more yards from extremely basic materials.

I recently saw some metallic darts in a ammo supply catalog. Imagine a few hundred razor sharp darts flying through the air. They would be good against an army becaue even if they were deflected, it would still cause massive casualties.

On the subject of grenades with an internal mechanism, the problem is that if they ever became commonly used then it would be suicide to go up against an enemy coinshot, either that or you'd just have to throw them as soon as you saw anyone who could be a coinshot (meaning anyone that you don't already know is a different misting)

Although I suppose if you wrapped it in aluminum foil and then just took it off when you're about to use it...

On the subject of grenades with an internal mechanism, the problem is that if they ever became commonly used then it would be suicide to go up against an enemy coinshot, either that or you'd just have to throw them as soon as you saw anyone who could be a coinshot (meaning anyone that you don't already know is a different misting)

Although I suppose if you wrapped it in aluminum foil and then just took it off when you're about to use it...

aluminum is a good idea i thought it maybe bit more tactical to have a way of preping the gernade by hand before tossing so an enemy cant cause it to explode before it is activated.

Ceramic grenades are especially effective. They would be used by the military if they weren't so fragile to transport or expensive to produce. They work well in frag grenades, because the ceramics not only form sharp splinters they cut and blow up nearby enemies (and friends, I guess) but some ceramics can cause conditions on the lungs when they hang around in dust form (some bits will blow into smithereens/dust).

But as I say, expensive. At least to mass produce in comparison to metals.

Most of these are good in general, but what about weapons tailored for specific powers? I've said before that flails or slings would be especially dangerous in the hands of a steelrunner. They don't require pewter-strength to use and increased speed adds exponentially to the damage dealt.

Anything a coinshot or lurcher could do could be offset by another coinshot or lurcher present. It would be extremely hard to stop a spear coming at you launched by a pewterarm or a duralumin enhanced mistborn.

As for the expense of ceramics, the way aluminum rarity is told, ceramics would probably be much less expensive to produce. Afterall, dirt is pretty easy to find. Throw in the fact that ceramics would be allomantically neutral, and their increased expense over other materials could be easily justified. They may not be cheap, but even relatively primitive societies have developed ceramics to some extent. You can make many different types of weapons from the material as well, knives, spears, darts, etc. A sword would probably not be very feasible, but ceramic knives are known to be sharper than metal ones and keep their edges longer, or at least that is the hype.

for a weapon for lurchers i was thinking along the line of a metal ring like blade that they can throw then reterive by burning iron. the ring would be sharp on all sides so the lurcher would need like a glove or other form of protection to cacht it. this would also make it extremly dangerous for and enemy to try and turn it against them.

Yea I was thinking of something like that for lurchers too, like the chakrams from Kingdoms of Amalur.

I was thinking that for sliders flash grenades would be good, because the random direction change doesn't matter that much, also something else to stun people who are in the bubble with them to give them the edge in melee combat.

Actually now that I think about it grenades in general would be great for sliders, the deflection wouldn't matter much due to the area the explosion would cover.

Grenades are something you want to go off a long way from you, but the further away from you they get, the greater an effect that an early variation in trajectory will have, no matter how small. For example, an M61 grenade has an average range in combat of 40 meters (per FAS). At that range, every 1.00 degree of lateral (left/right) deflection at the beginning is 0.7 meters away from your target. One degree is almost imperceptible early in a bullet's flight path, so since Wax can clearly see and account for the deflection when shooting out of a bubble, we know it's probably greater than that. At 7.1 degrees lateral deflection, you're off from the target by the 5m killing radius. Since the bubble is probably not the only source of deflection (wobble, wind, etc. being others) and the deflection may not be purely lateral (meaning it may raise or lower the arc, increasing or decreasing the distance thrown), you're going to have the same problems with grenades as you will with guns. With the caveat that if you just need to kill everyone in a room and you can throw up a bubble near an open door, they are most certainly dead.

What you really want is a laser guided missile or remote detonated bombs. Something where the deflection truly won't matter because it either adjusts for it automatically or just doesn't move.

Shrapnel still travels a fair way, not necessarily lethal but as long as they are reasnably close you'll still do some damage, particularly as I said if you are surrounded, Yea I'm still trying to think about how to avoid the blast yourself. Anyway I still think flash grenades at least would be good.

If you have massive numbers of projectiles, you don't really have to worry about the deflection from the bubble. Shotgun pellets are meant to disperse. Add some small bb like objects to an explosive device and you would have hundreds or projectiles flying. One of them is bound to hit something.

Even a primitive machine gun would be effective against most allomancers. Gatlin guns would be perfect for the timeframe in Alloy, and it shouldn't be too far away from semi-auto pistols either. I don't know the throughput of a gatlin gun right off the top, but figure 2-300 rounds per minute should kill even a koloss-blooded pewter arm.

Specialized shotgun shells could knock a mistborn, coinshot, or lurcher right out of the air.

It is hard to pick something specifically for each type of allomancer because it is fairly easy for another class to offset it. A coinshot can shoot metal all he wants, but another coinshot or lurcher can easily push or pull it away. Pewter would be most suited to special weapons to me because you do not lose much by making the weapons out of allomantically inert materials without the cost being much of a factor.

Anyone can be trained to operate a gun. Specialized allomantic ammo is already being developed in Alloy. Combine large caliber allomantically neutral ammo with a weapon capable of shooting 14-15 shots without stopping, and you have something that would take down most allomancers without much trouble. Figure in an allomantically neutral gatlin gun or the like, and not much could withstand. What mistborn, lurcher, or coinshot is going to want to be flying through the air facing what is in effect primitive anti-aircraft fire. With high volume fire, the accuracy of each invdividual shot goes down, but who cares when you have 2-300 shots or more in the air at the same time.

I think that the range is the problem for using a shotgun, unless someone is standing literally 1m from the bubble then you are going to have trouble hitting them, On the machine guns I get the feeling that you would be firing so many bullets per second relative to the rest of the world that half of them would probably colide and give even weirder trajectories. :P Still an excellent idea, also does anyone know much about how the deflection works yet? I'd think that mass would have to make a difference as would speed.

I was thinking more anti-allomancer weapons. Even if you would be firing from inside a bubble, I don't see the firerate causing too many of the bullets to hit each other. Even the best modern shooters rarely shoot the same hole twice.

I just thought about gas grenades too. Throw a gas grenade inside a bubble and see what happens. You could so any number of lethal or non-lethal gasses that would be available at the rough advancement of Alloy. Imagine a teargas, mustard gas, or sarin grenade thrown against or out of a bubble.

Thermite would probably be able to be made in Alloy as well, but the aluminum composition would make it extremely expensive.

The problem is that the fire rate inside the bubble is actually about 20x faster outside, once they hit the border, the ones behind would be hitting almost at the same time.

Gas grenades are a great idea, not sure where you're going with the thermite...