Hoid's Shard

Riddlesinthedark

New to the board, only lurked a short time, but I think this is the place. Used the search function for Hoid and Hoid's Shard here and in the WOK forum, but didn't see a similar thought to bump.

Hoid is a Sliver, right, having formerly held a Shard. Does he come out and tell Kaladin which Shard that was?

WOK, hardcover, 801

"A compliment? Calling someone a thief?"

"Of course. I myself am a thief."

"You are? What do you steal?"

"Pride," the man said, leaning forward...

Contextually it might be part of his current role as King's Wit, lancing egos, which he mentions next.

It would be stronger if Kaladin had asked "What did you steal?" and Hoid answered "Pride", but it seems a decent question to ask Sanderson.

To the Database!

He doesn't hold a Shard (Hoid wasn't counted back during the HoA Q&A prophecy of "you've seen four other shards"). So he could be a Splinter, he could be a Sliver. We don't know.

But I don't think that Hoid's long life is cause by his potential Sliverness. Brandon hasn't made any mention of longevity being a side effect of being a Sliver (Someone who once held a large portion of a Shard).

Do we really know that Hoid has actually lived longer than anyone normally does? If he is able to skip planets, he might also be traveling through time as well.

Well I believe there was something mentioned about him moving through time as well as space, but not actually time travelling, so I think there has been speculation that he experiences some kind of time dilation that makes time pass differently for the rest of the cosmere than it does for him.

Reddit AMA

ERIC LAKE ()

Can Hoid jump through time? If so, can Shards jump through time?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Hoid, so far, has only moved forward in time. He has not 'lived' all of those years, but has used some time dilation techniques. That said, he is far older (both in relative and real time) than a normal person can live.

I think I made some useful mistakes, and I will refine it later.

One is that I took for granted Hoid as the letter writer/seventeenth shard as Elantrians. I thought that so obvious, I will need to familiarize myself with those arguments.

Do we really know that Hoid has actually lived longer than anyone normally does? If he is able to skip planets, he might also be traveling through time as well.

Not directly, but a few things support it.

P1, Hoid has been on Roshar long enough to be a full Worldsinger, and train/promote an apprentice to full status.*

P2, No one mentions Wit as being excessively old, iirc.

P2, Hoid however does refer to himself as being quite experienced/old in conversation with Kaladin. For instance

"I always worry that I'll forget how to player her...It's silly, I know, considering how long I've practiced." pg 800

"Here. I've carried her for longer than you'd believe, were I to tell you the truth." pg 807

He might be referring just to linear time versus relative time, similar to the device used in the later Ender's Game books, where Ender outlives his siblings by a long time. Personally I think both are likely true, him being old linearly and relativistically.

*In support of P1, Sanderson used in Elantris, a very Oriental* feeling style of promotion that dictated that one cannot raise others to the same rank. Wyrn to Gyorn, Gyorn to whatever, but not Gyorn to Gyorn (*I'm intuiting, rather than knowledgeable here. A similar device is used in The Ramen Girl, for instance, and it seems like I have seen it elsewhere. No such requirement exists, for instance, in Mormonism, though structurally it often happens.)

Also is it WOG that Hoid was at the shattering of Adonalsium, or just speculation based on the letter/17th?

Edited by Voldy

It could be one that he later discarded.

It happened when I was still a teen. Now, I’d been unconsciously influenced by writing before, but never had I read something and specifically had that (now familiar) experience of saying “Hey, this would make a great magic system.” Here, I imagined a land where everyone had a little mystical number that floated by their head, representing their influence in society. You could give influence to others as payment, or earn it through certain acts. You could spend it to hide things about your number, or to accomplish magical feats both large and small.

I never ended up using that system. Perhaps I will someday, though now, it feels too influenced by things I’ve read.

This feels functionally like pride (people tend to derive pride from status), though maybe I am just crazy in saying that. Of course, he wrote this quote after he wrote The Way of Kings, but does Hoid really count as using it? I am not all that familiar with Brandon's style of writing when talking about his fiction, so I really couldn't guess what counts and doesn't count.

Also is it WOG that Hoid was at the shattering of Adonalsium, or just speculation based on the letter/17th?

It is WOG, or at least WOP (Word of Peter), which is essentially the same thing. ;)

It was in the old Time Waster's Guide Forum. I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT- Never mind. It's second hand from an old user named Miyabi.

TWG

So I wasn't sure if this should go in the Adonalsium topic, the Hoid topic, or if it deserved a topic of its own. After thinking strongly about it I decided that it deserved its own topic, due to the fact that it would fit in either of them and it would cause a kind of fused discussion of the two topics.

While talking with EUOL today I had asked about Hoid being someone from Partinel. He said he had many names, but avoided a yes or no answer. I then asked if Hoid was a shard, he said no and then said something about how no one has read the end of Partinel due to its not being written well and the plethora of spoilers it contains. . . .

He then told me that Hoid was there when Adonalsium was shattered.

Does this mean that is what happens at the end of Partinel? Was it Hoid's fault that Adonalsium was shattered? What is/was Adonalsium when it was whole? Is Hoid bound to the Shards and that is why he shows up on Shard worlds and seems to somehow support the power of them? (i.e. helping the Elantrians, which lead to fixing the Dor. Helping them overthrow ruin and bring the two Shards together?)

• 2 weeks later...

It could be one that he later discarded.

This feels functionally like pride (people tend to derive pride from status), though maybe I am just crazy in saying that. Of course, he wrote this quote after he wrote The Way of Kings, but does Hoid really count as using it? I am not all that familiar with Brandon's style of writing when talking about his fiction, so I really couldn't guess what counts and doesn't count.

Sounds like the Breath system to me.

• Chaos locked this topic