Magical Development

.S.A.M.K.M

SO now the aon dor works once more, all elantrisians will need to be taught to use it. ALso due to the threat of the empire they may potentially start planning to combat them. Seeing as there is only a singular path through the mountains, can they use their magics to create a wall, or fort to ensure they cant march an amy.

THey killed those monks in the city and in Teod, so they still have their bodies, so examine them for those symbols. WIth healing, could they plant symbols on their own bones, or draw the alternative symbols themselves.

CHayshan has been practised for a long time, but it seems it never worked like it did then. I am wondering if it was due to be done in the city, or in the area with the presences of seons and skai. I bet in addition to many people learning the sword, many will attempt to learn the movements.

SInce the city sumbol, allowed aon dar the power needed to do the big things, I wonder if they will attempt to copy the symbol for mobility.

Why would they need to carve Aons into their bones? For one thing, carving is unnecessary, as simply tracing with a finger is enough to create an Aon. Secondly, Aons would work just as well on clothing or skin as bone. Unless you are suggesting that Elantrians somehow learn the Dakhor magical system?

I think the Elantrians will probably use their powers to make weapons and tools.

For example:

Crystals or such carved with Aon Daa or Aon Ehe. Throw at enemy

Swords that are unnaturally strong and sharp.

Pendants carved Aon Edo to shield against attacks.

I wonder if they could set up a sort of telportation stations in both teod and elantris, to allow quicker travel between the two allies. Work on empowering aons far from the city.

THey need to make sure the empire cant send an army to the city, so block or control the passages.

I remember Raoden adding modifiers to his aons to specify how they work and also what triggers their power. I could imagine myself making a staff with an aon on top that would shoot fire balls whenever I swung it the right way. Heck, take that farther and you get a smaller tool with a barrel loaded with balls of metal and the Aon Ehe on the side that fires the projectile whenever you pull a trigger.

With these kind of specific instructions, could tools be made to work for even non-elantrians, as long as they were made by an elantrian and the tool is in proper range of Elantris?

Edited by Turos

With these kind of specific instructions, could tools be made to work for even non-elantrians, as long as they were made by an elantrian and the tool is in proper range of Elantris?

That's be awesome. Chayshan and the Darkhor hints at more usages of Dor than just AonDor, so i think it'd be possible, but i think it'd be more of a fusion of AonDor and something else. AonDor is limited to Elantris and weakens as it gets further away, this makes me think that AonDor has specific and harsh limitations on who can use it, ie. the Elantrians, so it seems unlikely that just pure AonDor is usable by regular people. I think there's mention that the teleportation Aons in Elantris were only usable by Elantrians.

• 2 weeks later...

But Raoden attempts to transport himself and Sarene with the Aon. It only works a little, not because of Sarene, but because of the distance.

I do agree with you though that Sarene by herself couldn't use a plate that had an Aon on it, though Raoden could.

• 1 month later...

Sarene even tried to use the AonDor at some point and failed. That seems to be a pretty clear indication that having been taken by the Shaod is a prerequisite for making the symbols work.

You can't draw the Aons without the Shaod, but I think the delayed-action Aons (the ones that you need to touch or otherwise trigger) could be used by anyone. Or at the least, there's a way to make Aons that anybody can set off.

• 3 weeks later...

Since all of the original carved Aons in the city won't work anymore, I suppose the Elantrians will have to go around fixing those. Or (crazy idea here) they could try to actually repair the Chasm so that the aons go back to their original form.

It would probably be a good idea to fix the Chasm, especially since drawing an additional line would slow down anyone trying to fight with AonDor. I don't know if the Elantrians themselves could do it. The Chasm is pretty far from Elantris, so the Elantrians would have be significantly weaker. However if someone manages to take up Devotion (aka Aona's Shard) or Dominion. That would be fairly easy for a Shardholder to do.

It's from the same place where we get that they are Splintered.

In case you have turned a blind eye to that disaster, know that Aona and Skai are both dead, and that which they held has been Splintered. Presumably to prevent anyone from rising up to challenge Rayse.

It's from the Letter in Way of Kings.

EDIT- And I don't know. Fixing a major hole in the ground? It seems like it would just be easier to draw a little line. Plus, it would be really hard to get that big of a project together when you're preparing your defenses against a battle-ready Fjordell.

• 4 months later...

Well I was thinking that if they're going to have a war with Fjorden, they might need to fight in places far away from Elantris. If they just bottle up there, Fjorden will be able to raze both Arelon and Teod. The only problem is that aon dor gets weaker the farther you get from Elantris. So I was wondering if maybe the Elantrians could come up with a new version of aon dor, that would be based off a different place, same way as the normal aon dor is based off Elantris. The place would still be a depiction of the land, but maybe in a different way, or of a different part of it. If drawing a line in the ground with a stick was enough to represent the Chasm, it shouldn't be too hard to make a place like this ,with slight modifications to the aon dor. That way, they could battle the Fjordells far away from Elantris.

Also, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing some more of Shuden's ChayShan. Maybe he'll even teach it to other people, and make some elite fighting force.

Edited by Trizee

Well I was thinking that if they're going to have a war with Fjorden, they might need to fight in places far away from Elantris. If they just bottle up there, Fjorden will be able to raze both Arelon and Teod. The only problem is that aon dor gets weaker the farther you get from Elantris. So I was wondering if maybe the Elantrians could come up with a new version of aon dor, that would be based off a different place, same way as the normal aon dor is based off Elantris. The place would still be a depiction of the land, but maybe in a different way, or of a different part of it. If drawing a line in the ground with a stick was enough to represent the Chasm, it shouldn't be too hard to make a place like this ,with slight modifications to the aon dor. That way, they could battle the Fjordells far away from Elantris.

I find it more likely that they'll make a pendant or something with the correct version of Aon Rao. It probably would produce a much smaller power field, but it would be big enough.

Plus, if they fix the Chasm, Elantris breaks down and needs adjusting again. And I'm not sure if removing lines from an existing Aon is as easy as adding them.

Fjordell could win the war by creating a large enough defect in the landscape to offset Elantris' power. Of course it'd have to be large enough but if they figured it out, Elantris would have to win via conventional means.

Fjordell could win the war by creating a large enough defect in the landscape to offset Elantris' power. Of course it'd have to be large enough but if they figured it out, Elantris would have to win via conventional means.

Probably simpler to use Dilaf's aon-cancelling power to disrupt Elantris.

• 1 month later...

If I were them I'd try to work out how Dilaf's Aon-cancelling power worked and make an Aonic equivalent. It'd probably be useful when the Dakhor monks turn up again.

I'm guessing it's like Hemalurgy. Using some form of Domination is how Dahkor magic works. It all seems to involve people dying, albeit willingly, to fuel it. Somebody dies to teleport, fifty somebodies die to create somebody who kills Aons, I assume somebody dies or gets weakened to create a monk. See what I'm getting at?

Probably simpler to use Dilaf's aon-cancelling power to disrupt Elantris.

As mentioned above, 50 people died to produce that effect. In many cases, I'd prefer 50 guys to one tougher guy, though I can see the advantages of having a small pack of Aon resistant monks.

Edited by Observer

Yes but one tougher guy who can negate the abilities of the entire opposing army is definitely worth 50 ordinary soldiers, on a tactical level at least.

Is it fifty ordinary soldiers or fifty monks? (One hundred men, assuming earlier conversion)

I'm thinking we don't have enough information. While the Dakhor do have a huge population to draw from, multiple men going into a single monk still seems a little cost heavy, except in the most extreme cases.

But on the other hand, how did they know how to make Dilaf invulnerable unless they had experimented(too post-enlightenment? Did they just get lucky?)