Characterization in SP3

I saw a lot of threads already about the arcana and Cosmere implications of SP3, but I wanted to have some more discussion about the characterization we've seen so far because I found it really compelling:

Yumi & Warden

Yumi herself I am already finding a very interesting character. Her story so far and the position she is in especially with Warden make me think of someone who is a child prodigy in some field. Think some of these Olympic gymnasts or Piano players who have been working on perfecting their craft since they were 3, to the exclusion of any normal childhood. Now I am sure there are some people in that situation who don't have as much conflict over it, but there are definitely some people that deeply feel this loss of normalcy or want a change later in life. And some people have someone like Warden pushing them, tearing them down, and exploiting them.

Warden makes me think of a bad coach or stage parent, one who is utterly controlling and pushing their charge. She cares more about Yumi's performance than about her mental or emotional needs or wants. And nothing Yumi does ever seems to be good enough to receive praise from Warden, so Yumi just pushes herself harder and harder. It seems like an awful and frankly abusive situation and power dynamic - Yumi has minimized herself so much she feels guilt even over having feelings or wants at this point.

Yumi's thoughts about being blessed or how she should feel blessed and grateful, are also something these kind of prodigies can feel: that they should be grateful for the great talent they have or for the opportunity to compete at a high level - even if they are inwardly unhappy, or in the case of some high profile gymnasts where there were horrible things happening behind closed doors. I don't know if this was all what Brandon was going for but I felt he nailed this kind of dynamic, where talented young people can be treated as a resource (for fame, money, attention, entertainment) rather than a person by those around them - but in Yumi's world she literally is being used as a resource.

Virtuosity

I also wanted to comment that this character setup between Warden and Yumi fits really well thematically with the Shard name we get, Virtuosity. What is happening with Yumi is like an extreme twisted/unhealthy version of this trait. She is trying to be impossibly perfect at her craft to the exclusion of all else, and Warden is pushing her that way. Is some of this system a result of Virtuosity being splintered - have things gone off the rails because of that? Or is it simply the nature of Shards having narrow Intents without context or balance of the rest, that takes this to the extreme?

Painter

I am still putting thoughts together on Painter, but would love to see more discussion on him as well. 

What did you guys think about some of the characters here?

Edited by Dreamwa1ker

31 minutes ago, Dreamwa1ker said:

Warden

Warden makes me think of a bad coach or stage parent, one who is utterly controlling and pushing their charge. She cares more about Yumi's performance than about her mental or emotional needs or wants. And nothing Yumi does ever seems to be good enough to receive praise from Warden, so Yumi just pushes herself harder and harder. It seems like an awful and frankly abusive situation and power dynamic - Yumi has minimized herself so much she feels guilt even over having feelings or wants at this point.

That is her job. And she excels at it. These people in effect turn some of their children into tools and then go to the logical conclusion of making optial use of the tools. Utilitarian. It is unclear to me whether you are seeing a role or a human being.

10 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

That is her job. And she excels at it. These people in effect turn some of their children into tools and then go to the logical conclusion of making optial use of the tools. Utilitarian. It is unclear to me whether you are seeing a role or a human being.

Very true - she is a product of the overall system of this world which uses these children as resources. We don't have enough screen time of Warden yet to see how much of this is her role vs her own personality or self, and there could be more depth to her character to come. However, the effect on Yumi as a character is the same.

Edited by Dreamwa1ker

"The Warden" has a name.

I find it interesting, in your discussion of Liyun's character, that nobody chose to refer to her by her name.  Yes, we're obviously supposed to dislike her that this point in the story... but let's not depersonalize her!

We know very little about this world and this culture.  My guess (hope) is that as the novel progresses, Liyun's motivations will become more clear.  We may gain a more sympathetic (or at least more balanced) view of her, or she may go through some changes herself later in the story.  Brandon seldom makes any of his characters completely one-dimensional.

Yumi's situation definitely reminds me of the Returned in Warbreaker.  Honored and pampered?  Sure.  Prisoners?  Definitely.