Are atium mistings unnatural?

ShardlessVessel

Question

Whenever the topic of atium mistings is brought up I see someone talk about how atium mistings only exist in Hero of Ages because Preservation changed the rules Allomancy/Snapping to make it possible so his plan would work.

Why? Where is that stated? Did I miss that detail in the books, or is it from a WoB or Annotations?

Besides being a god metal (which to me is not a good enough justification) I see no reason why there shouldn't be atium mistings.

3 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, ShardlessVessel said:

Whenever the topic of atium mistings is brought up I see someone talk about how atium mistings only exist in Hero of Ages because Preservation changed the rules Allomancy/Snapping to make it possible so his plan would work.

Why? Where is that stated? Did I miss that detail in the books, or is it from a WoB or Annotations?

Besides being a god metal (which to me is not a good enough justification) I see no reason why there shouldn't be atium mistings.

I may be incorrect in this but I believe based on coppermind readings (the source for which I do not recall). Preserveration added atium as an allomatic metal (and by extension atium mistings) to allomancy. Harmony I believe rotated this out after their ascension but I could be wrong (since they don't produce it I think Marsh has pretty much all that is left). Sorry I cannot be of more help. 

There aren't actually Atium Mistings, they are Electrum mistings, all the "Atium" we know is actually an Atium-Electrum alloy.

Spoiler

Kingsdaughter613

Primary question: Peter recently said something about atium in Era 1 actually being an atium-electrum alloy, which is called nalatium. Is this accurate?

Brandon Sanderson

This is accurate, yes.

You could, by the way, just continue to call it atium. That's what they think atium is in-world. It's very slightly tainted.

Kingsdaughter613

Secondary questions: If the above is yes, did Kelsier get malatium by separating the atium and gold from the silver in nalatium? If so, do atium and gold have similar melting points?

Brandon Sanderson

That's more of a RAFO in that I'm not sure I want to canonize any of that right now. 

Footnote: Peter's comment did not give the alloy a name, Adam misread the sentence where the questioner provided their own name for it.
YouTube Spoiler Stream 3 (Dec. 16, 2021)