Hoid and Old magic

Warsinger

I had been assuming it was some form of magic from Yolen or somewhere else we hadn't seen yet. I wouldn't think it would be light weaving in the same sense that Shallan uses it since the surge binding powers come from the bond with a spren.

Hoid has been able to Lightweave since before the Shattering of Adonalsium.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/312-orem-signing/#e8909

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

So Hoid, was he considered a Lightweaver pre-Shattering?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, that would be an appropriate term. There are lots of different terms that would also be appropriate.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

But was it basically the same thing?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Well, no Stormlight. No spren. So, not a Knight Radiant. But, similar magic. But you've also seen Elantris magic do this. So there are-- there are certain things that-- I'll just stop there.

Also, Hoid mentions that he and Cultivation don't really get along.

While it's not canonical, we can still take a couple things away from the Liar of Partinel (Hoid's origin story) snippets we've seen. One of these is that Yolish Lightweaving was a magic that could be taught. We can assume this is still canon to a great extent because in his appearance in Warbreaker, Hoid uses it in his storytelling and mentions how he learned it "many years ago from a man who didn’t know who he was, Your Majesty. It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died.". Also, if there's in-univese evidence that the Old Magic was pre-Shattering (and I can't think of any evidence this is the case offhand) then it presumably would have been mentioned by Khriss in the Ars Arcanum, much as she talks about how interesting it is that Rosharan Lightweaving is similar to Yolish Lightweaving. She does mention the Old Magic but only to imply that it doesn't fit into the Vorin model where everything is grouped into tens.

On 1/15/2018 at 4:33 PM, Warsinger said:

I don't know if this has been said before but could Hoids light weaving have come from old magic as a boon and as a curse, he is unable to harm people. I'm just wondering what people think because I think the old magic is pre-shattering.

We know for a fact that lightweaving has a Yolish variant that predates the Rosharan form of it; and I think we also have WoB somewhere about another magic system from there that gives Hoid a powerful healing factor. Unless it’s established that Hoid isn’t from Yolen somehow, we have no reason to think he wouldn’t have powers from his birthplace. Also, the Old Magic so far as we know is from the Nightwatcher, a Splinter of Cultivation. If there was an “Old Magic” before, the one we’re seeing is emulating the effect the same way that the surge of Illumination imitates some of what Hoid does.

Edited by Crazy1993

• Chaos locked this topic