Any Stories You Avoid Because of the Author?

Draginon

• 1 month later...

If I avoid a story / book "because of the author," it's usually because I've read something already by that author that I didn't like on a literary or conceptual level.

I've pretty much given up on Stephen Lawhead because he starts out great but just doesn't know how to close a series; a shame because his cosmology is similar to mine but I've been burned too many times now..

I really like Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict series (sci-fi), but I got bored with his Priscilla Hutchins series and have found his books that are set in the present or near future to be more preach-y than good storytelling so they are a no-go for me.

I really liked Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, but the next book kind of meandered and by halfway through the third book he (IMO) totally dropped the story arc and was just ranting "thereisnogodthereisnogodthereisnogod..." Boring and pointless, when the story started out so great. I probably won't read him again.

Lately, though, it's less about choosing who to read / not read than it is considering the question, "Would I rather read auhor XYZ's book or just re-read Oathbringer again?" That has cut way down on my scope of prospective reads. ;)

Edited by old aggie
additions