Aether

Era of solitude works better as ES for dates because we can then use E1 for the Heraldic Epochs.

I am going to stick with EoS as long as they do so on the Coppermind as well. Besides, I prefer it like this so as to avoid confusion, considering that "Es" in Alethi (or possibly just Vorin tradition) means "one". The first day of the first week of the first month of 1173 EoS would then confusingly be written as 1173 Jezeses ES, or something.

Edited by Aether

I think I would prefer ES over EoS, personally I think it looks better.  (And I'm not exactly a fan of its usage on the wiki, mostly because it doesn't fit.  That calender isn't dated from the beginning of the Era of Solitude)

I also don't think it would be that confusing because dates are generally written Jeseses 1174, with the date preceding the year, adding ES to the end makes sense.  Also "-es" meaning one is only when its used as a suffix.  As a distinct word "one" is "Jes".

Also, if we are going with the idea that Taln arrives on the 1000th day after the "the Everstorm comes in but a thousand days" death rattle then it would be Shashahes 1173 not Betabanes 1173.

What other name would we call it by then if not the Era of Solitude? It's the time period they're in, the calandra just doesn't start on the first day of the Era of Solitude. And I personally prefer the way EoS.

Yes, it is the time period they are in, but it is inaccurate to say 1173 EoS because that implies its the 1173rd year of the Era of Solitude.  That is how calenders work.  I don't know what it should be called because we don't know what the calender is dated from.  The letters after a date 1173 EoS, 2014 AD serve to indicate what calender the dates are a part of.  The "Era of Solitude" is not a calender.  It is an era, like the Modern Era, or the Medieval period, or the classical period.

For example the AD/BC split in our history is part of the Julian/Gregorian Calender.  Another calender, such as the French Revolutionary Calender would be dated from something else.

I also don't think it would be that confusing because dates are generally written Jeseses 1174, with the date preceding the year, adding ES to the end makes sense.  Also "-es" meaning one is only when its used as a suffix.  As a distinct word "one" is "Jes".

You are correct. "One" is "Jez Jes" and only "-es" when used as a suffix. I do, however, still prefer EoS, and while we do not know what happened in year one of EoS, I see this more as a quirk of the Rosharan calendar rather than being problematic. If we get a WoB or WoP giving the proper name of the calendar (assuming Era of Solitude is not), then we can consider changing it, both for my post and for the Coppermind.

Also, if we are going with the idea that Taln arrives on the 1000th day after the "the Everstorm comes in but a thousand days" death rattle then it would be Shashahes 1173 not Betabanes 1173.

First of all, we do not know that the invoked Epigraph is referring to the arrival of Taln specifically, so I would hesitate to use it to date the Epilogue.

Secondly, there is nothing that ties the Epilogue to the events following the Battle at the Tower, which is what happens at the very end of the book - or at the very least at the end of Kaladin and Dalinar's story arcs. The Words of Radiance picks up the very next day, so I feel rather safe using Betabanes 1173 as the date for the end of the Way of Kings.

Edited by Aether

You are correct. "One" is "Jez" and only "-es" when used as a suffix. I do, however, still prefer EoS, and while we do not know what happened in year one of EoS, I see this more as a quirk of the Rosharan calendar rather than being problematic. If we get a WoB or WoP giving the proper name of the calendar (assuming Era of Solitude is not), then we can consider changing it, both for my post and for the Coppermind.

First of all, we do not know that the invoked Epigraph is referring to the arrival of Taln specifically, so I would hesitate to use it to date the Epilogue.

Secondly, there is nothing that ties the Epilogue to the events following the Battle at the Tower, which is what happens at the very end of the book - or at the very least at the end of Kaladin and Dalinar's story arcs. The Words of Radiance picks up the very next day, so I feel rather safe using Betabanes 1173 as the date for the end of the Way of Kings.

I just question its use because it is not an in-universe thing, it is wholly something that readers have started using.  I just don't like using something that just feels wrong (in my opinion).  I doubt "Era of Solitude" will end up being the name of the calender, because if it were it would be dated from the beginning of the Era and not a point some 3,400 years after.  That just isn't how calenders work.

And I admit, I misread the post you linked as your source, I thought you were referring to it postulating the arrival of Taln is on the 1000th day, and not the Kaladin chasm leap.  That is why I phrased my post as I did.  That said, I think the use of "Betabanes" is even more unlikely to be correct.  The dates of the epigraphs are out of sync with the events of the chapters, and do not "date" them.  I guess it could be argued that the dying person could be seeing Kaladin as he is doing it but except for the "1000 days" death rattle the rattles are out-of-sync with current events.

(oh and by the way it is "Jes" not "Jez")

Edited by WeiryWriter
toning down my objections

According to my listed source, Peter has confirmed the date of that Epigraph (Kaladin's leap) to be in sync with the event. Therefore Betabanes.

No, it is not in sync with that.

I have exact days for everything in Words of Radiance, and they should be much easier for everyone to figure out themselves than the dates in Way of Kings are, for various reasons.

There are also specific reasons from the timeline of the first book that this assertion: "Kaladin arrives on the Shattered Plains near the end of month 4/beginning of month 5, 1173" cannot possibly be correct.

Navani and Dalinar are not 50 years old. And by the way it's book 1 that says "Navani was only three months his senior", in chapter 22.

Adolin is not 24 years old. Chapter 12 in the first book says how old he is.

The Era of Solitude started 4500 years ago. So applying "EoS" to the current calendar is not correct.

The first year she's 10, she's 10. The second year she's ten, she's 11. The third year she's 10, she's 12. Am I messing up my logic here?

age 10-11 is one year, age 11-12 is the second year, and age 12-13 is the third year. So if she has been 10 for three full years, she would be 13

Edit: if she were only a fraction into that third year being ten, she would still be 12 (that statement in itself might be a little confusing but hope it makes sense).

Edited by Awesomeness summoned

Would you be willing to give us a hint on what we call the current era then? We don't want to be using it on the wiki if it's incorrect :\

Hasn't been revealed. Is there any need? Just say the year is 1173. The only date that conflicts with that is from Dalinar's vision where a Knight Radiant says, “It is Eighth Epoch, three thirty-seven.”

Though, I think it's safe for me to reveal that the Horneaters use a different year number. How the number differs is not yet specified. :)

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

No, it is not in sync with that.

I have exact days for everything in Words of Radiance, and they should be much easier for everyone to figure out themselves than the dates in Way of Kings are, for various reasons.

I was taking the poster's information on face-value. Teaches me not to use material without links to the original source material.

Navani and Dalinar are not 50 years old. And by the way it's book 1 that says "Navani was only three months his senior", in chapter 22.

I had been going by the year of birth of the Coppermind. I do not know how those numbers were decided, but I've crossed out the years of Navani and Dalinar in my original post.

Adolin is not 24 years old. Chapter 12 in the first book says how old he is.

I assume it is this passage you are refering to: "Adolin was still occasionally caught by surprise, though he'd held [his Shardplate] - inherited from his mother's side of the family - since his sixteenth birthday. That was now seven years past." This makes Adolin 23 years old. Post updated accordingly.

If she has been 10 for 3 years, she is 13 rather than 12.

I interpreted it as Lift being in her thirteenth year, which would have made her twelwe-not-yet-thirteen. Post updated accordingly.

The Era of Solitude started 4500 years ago. So applying "EoS" to the current calendar is not correct.

Again, I've been going by the norms of the Coppermind. Since the Rosharan (Alethi? Vorin?) apparently has no name, I've just galled it AC. Short for Arbitrary Calendar.  Post updated accordingly.

EDIT: Since you didn't correct the age of any of the other characters, I am just going to assume they are correct.

Edited by Aether