2016-11-29 [Arcanum Unbounded] Old Firehouse Books - Fort Collins, CO

Silverblade5

22 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

Nine. Nalan initially discarded his too. There is a WoB that states one of the Honorblades was retrieved after the Oathpact was (partially) broken.

So, this gives us then a complete accounting of Honorblades subject to any recent thefts/"recoveries" from Shinovar:

•  Nalan: one Honorblade (his own)
  •  Kaladin (via Szeth via Shinover): one Honorblade (Jezrien)
  •  Shinovar: seven Honorblades (everyone except for Naln, Jez and Tal)
  •  Talanel: one Honorblade (his own) - lost in transport (right?)
Edited by emailanimal

10 minutes ago, emailanimal said:

So, this gives us then a complete accounting of Honorblades subject to any recent thefts/"recoveries" from Shinovar:

•  Nalan: one Honorblade (his own)
  •  Kaladin (via Szeth via Shinover): one Honorblade (Jezrien)
  •  Shinovar: seven Honorblades (everyone except for Naln, Jez and Tal)
  •  Talanel: one Honorblade (his own) - lost in transport (right?)

Pretty much. On another tangent, Shinovar could have ruled the world with those Honorblades. Their restraint is amazing.

5 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

Big WoB incoming! Had my fiancée ask in Fort Collins if Silverlight exists solely in the Cognitive Realm...

...and the answer is YES!

ok die is weird and scary. ok that Silverlight would be probably build on "sea" (solid in the Cognitive)...But imagine someone who drowns there and He finds himself in a fully and alien city filled of worldhoppers who see him and bet on his countdown from the Beyond :D

Okay, full compilation of the WoBs I got at this event. Two are from me during a video chat, four are questions Lauren recorded and sent to me, and the Bavadin/Ambition RAFOs are paraphrased from my friends.

Recorded/verbatim

Q: Is Nalan using his original Honorblade, or did he bond a spren?

A: He's using his original Honorblade. But there's an asterisk here that will come up in Oathbringer.

Q: Does Silverlight exist solely in the Cognitive Realm?

A: Yes.

Q: Were the planets in the Threnodite System named like that in response to Ambition's demise? 

A: It is not a coincidence that so many of the planets have to do with songs of mourning or passing, in that system. So, you are on to something.

(Note: This was kinda, sorta not helpful, since my orginal Threnody was a Shard theory was built on the WoB I got on the Calamity tour re: Threnody being named in memorial of someone.)

Q: What does the Red Rip look like in the Cognitive Realm?

A: So this is a RAFO, in part because I haven't revealed if there are any planets out there.
(Note: Brandon totally knew where I was trying to go with this one, and he doesn't want to let us know if Yolen is part of the constellation.)

Q: If a Shard were to divest itself from a planet, would the perpendicularity there disappear?

A: Normally the shardpool would cease to exist, but there are circumstances that could prevent the shardpool from disappearing.

Paraphrased
Q: Was Bavadin nonhuman?

A: RAFO. There is at least one Shard who wasn't human, but I'm not ready to reveal who was or wasn't just yet.

Q: What was the name of Ambition's Vessel?

A: RAFO

And another from my video chat with Brandon...
EDGEDANCER SPOILERS:

Spoiler

Q: Could only Lift see Szeth's afterimages?

A: Anyone sufficiently Invested can see them. Connection to the Cognitive Realm helps, too.

Edited by PallonianFire
EDIT: Forgot one. Added the one about Shards divesting themselves.

7 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

Big WoB incoming! Had my fiancée ask in Fort Collins if Silverlight exists solely in the Cognitive Realm...

...and the answer is YES!

Awesome answer. And that's why you always ask, even if you're almost positive you'll get a RAFO. But how does that jive with the endsheets being from Silverlight's perspective? Is it located in a subastral?

7 hours ago, Dirigible said:

Ok I just got back from my long drive. I didn't get audio of the questions, but I wrote down some notes right afterword.

Me: Is ReLuur's spike made of Atium?

Cut out some stuff, he started to answer thinking I said Lord Ruler, but I stopped him

Brandon: hesitated a for a second RAFO. You get a card though. It's not that big of a spoiler, but the answer would bring up questions that are.

*cocks eyebrow*

Now I wonder if he's going to smile and RAFO my question about VenDell too. Again. I thought that time on reddit was just a fluke. Dangit, I didn't think that would be RAFO-bait, but now I wonder... :/

Anyways, I think that it being an Atium spike wouldn't bring up that many spoilery questions (other than about what Blessing it gave). ReLuur is said to be one of the oldest kandra still around (third generation), and I think the Lord Ruler would've been more likely to experiment with it at this point than later on, I think. Also, I seem to recall that atium can give any Blessing (I believe it was mentioned in HoA or something), or I might have jumped to that conclusion because it can steal "any power" and thus seemed like a pretty logical guess. None of what we could figure out about Atium Blessings really would  lead to a lot of big spoilers, by conjecture I think we can perhaps, now, rule this one out...

Ha, so that leaves us with Marasi being right (which would lead us to a lot of questions, but seems unlikely), or Marasi being wrong and the spike was made of something like chromium or aluminum (Blessings seem to come from base metals..., but even if they don't it's likely that a rare, silvery metal would be it), both of which are silvery metals, and are silvery metals that are unlikely to be found in larger qualities given their rarity in most of society. Of course, if it's either of these, that would beg even more questions than if it were just pewter. Those kind of questions would be pretty big spoilers in themselves,* because the LR did not have access to large qualities of aluminum and did not have access to chromium.

So, my guess is it's not Atium or pewter, and that it was either something very rare in the Final Empire or that they could not retrieve it because they didn't have the technology to do so. If it's one of the latter two, it could lead to some fun questions (I think they're fun, at least):

Spoiler

Is ReLuur as old as we were lead to believe? If he isn't, was a new kandra created in the post-Rashek era despite that the kandra seem repulsed by that process? How many more lies did VenDell and MeLaan give Wax and co. to make them go after the Bands? Does that mean they were in on everything since the beginning (which would explain the lack of MeLaan POVs even better, because we weren't suppose to know; also this seems logical for other reasons, I just can't see Sazed keeping that a secret for that long anyways, because he's bad at keeping secrets from his closest followers and bad at telling lies, too)? Finally, if we can conclude that the kandra are not being completely forthcoming (again), can we really trust them?

Alternatively: were we misinformed about the availability of certain metals in the Final Empire? That is, the LR had access, but not to a ton of whatever he used...

Most importantly: what kind of Blessings do aluminum/chromium/whatever silvery metal give to kandra?

But all these are kind of insane...and please, take those with a grain of salt, I'm half-joking with some of them... That would be sort of insane...*mutters*

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

13 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

Well, there's still a sky in the CR, right? And stars (based on the cold sun in Shadesmar). 

Not according to Secret History:

He'd hoped to have the sun back once Ruin vanished from the sky, but after walking far enough out, he seemed to leave his world behind - and the sun with it. The sky here was nothing but empty blackness.

It seems the sky of each subastral is separate, so even if you could see 'stars' in one, they wouldn't be visible form other subastrals, and you definitely wouldn't be able to assign planets to each star (since they exist in 2D Shadesmar). Constellations, made up of star systems that you can visit, must be observed from the Physical Realm.

So, if the constellations are viewed from Silverlight (and I'd like to find the actual transcription somewhere, since there's a chance Isaac might have been saying that the endsheet was painted in Silverlight, but not necessarily the constellations from there)... uh, where was I? Right, if the constellations are viewed from Silverlight, I see two possibilities. First, Silverlight is in a planet's subastral, sort of like the Ire fortress. But, for the second, ancient astronaut theorists suggest that they might be able to poke their heads into the interstellar Physical Realm for just a moment.

3 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

But, for the second, ancient astronaut theorists suggest that they might be able to poke their heads into the interstellar Physical Realm for just a moment.

Holy cow, that is quite a thought. If there's a Shard in Silverlight, they could have a perpendicularity that just opens into vacuum. I admit that my impression of the endmap was that it was an interpretation, since it has the actual constellations painted around the stars and has lines and whatnot connecting them. So if they had knowledge of relative directions of the systems from the accompanying Physical Realm location of Silverlight's CR location, they could have made it from that perspective.

If that makes any sense at all.

10 minutes ago, Yata said:

@Kandra-in-disguise maybe Reluur's Blessings are made of an Atium-Alloy....Something that could be made in TFE's times Alluminium-Atium maybe

Possibly, but I think that the mining/removal of aluminum from volcanoes was a fairly new process. Somethings, like farming techniques, canning, clockmaking, etc. did advance, or just advanced a lot slower, and I believe that taking aluminum out of volcanoes is one of these slow but steady advancements. Oddly, when we view the Final Empire from a history of technological advancement perspective, it's rather similar to medieval China in a lot of ways, though both the FE and China advanced in that way for a lot of different reasons. This conclusion also doesn't lead to a lot of large spoilers either, since, that's something we kind of already concluded as possible (even though we don't know what it would do...)

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

11 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

Holy cow, that is quite a thought. If there's a Shard in Silverlight, they could have a perpendicularity that just opens into vacuum. I admit that my impression of the endmap was that it was an interpretation, since it has the actual constellations painted around the stars and has lines and whatnot connecting them. So if they had knowledge of relative directions of the systems from the accompanying Physical Realm location of Silverlight's CR location, they could have made it from that perspective.

If that makes any sense at all.

It makes sense. But, considering similar things exist on earth, I think the simplest explanation is that they are actually visible from somewhere, not just an abstraction.

@Dirigible, thanks for asking my question! And that's a neat answer, I guess that means that you carry Preservation "in" you rather than connecting with it to reach the power. Makes sense, I guess.

In other matters, it's nice to have a confirmation on Silverlight's location, Realms-wise. And now I wonder if "Reya" (of Reya's Tear) wasn't Ambition's name, though Reya seems to have more to do with Roshar's history than Cosmere's in general.

3 minutes ago, Rasarr said:

And now I wonder if "Reya" (of Reya's Tear) wasn't Ambition's name, though Reya seems to have more to do with Roshar's history than Cosmere's in general.

Okay, I just asked my buddy (who asked the question for me), and he said that "Brandon said he'd already given it away." So I'm really not sure what that means, considering that he just gave us Ambition. Did someone get a WoB about the Vessel that escaped our notice here?

So I ended up making it to the signing (thank Harmony for the extra tickets!)

Here are my questions:

Q: Does Lift see Wyndle a different way than another Edgedancer would see their spren?

A: Yes, but only slightly. She sees a longer vine, and slightly more, but it's not a big difference.

Q: [EDGEDANCER SPOILERS]

Spoiler

Q: Szeth refers to Nightblood as sword-nimi. What is the -nimi ending? 

A: It is an honorific. 

Q: And why does he call it "sword", and not by its name?

A: It has not told him its name.

8 minutes ago, Argent said:

Great questions and answers both! It is somewhat rare to get such good information from a signing, so good job on this.

Thanks! I've generally had pretty good luck with questions over the years, but it's mostly cuz I try not to ask too much forward-thinking stuff. If I more or less know that the answer will be a literal RAFO in a future book, I avoid it. Not foolproof, but it helps.

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Voidish said:

So I ended up making it to the signing (thank Harmony for the extra tickets!)

Here are my questions:

Q: Does Lift see Wyndle a different way than another Edgedancer would see their spren?

A: Yes, but only slightly. She sees a longer vine, and slightly more, but it's not a big difference.

Q: [EDGEDANCER SPOILERS]

Reveal hidden contents

Nice answers.

For Lift, that essentially proves that

Edgedancer spoilers:

Spoiler

Both Ym and the Stump are Truthwatchers, since they're spren look so drastically different.

There was a (quite plausible, I thought) theory floating around that the "glimmer of light" that they see is just what Wyndle's type of spren look like to people that aren't Lift.

Edited by Kurkistan

4 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

Nice answers.

For Lift, that essentially proves that

Edgedancer spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Both Ym and the Stump are Truthwatchers, since they're spren look so drastically different.

There was a (quite plausible, I thought) theory floating around that the "glimmer of light" that they see is just what Wyndle's type of spren look like to people that aren't Lift.

Yeah, that theory was what I was trying to prove/disprove when I asked the question. I'm really glad I didn't get RAFO-d!

2 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

Q: What kind of spren is Ivory?

A: Inkspren

Huh. This is nicely fitting, and also awfully surprising in its reveal.

2 hours ago, PallonianFire said:

Q: Are odiumspren the only spren who live on Braize?

A: Only odiumspren are welcome on Braize, but they're different from anything we've seen so far.

Huh. We haven't seen any odiumspren?! That sounds broken.