2016-10-08 Utah Humanities Book Festival - Ogden, UT

WeiryWriter

So this event was just added to Brandon's Upcoming Events page.

Place: Ogden High School
Address:
2828 Harrison Blvd.
Ogden, UT 84403
Event Type: Signing
Date: October 10th 2016
Schedule:

From the event organizers:

Utah Humanities and Weber County Book Links are pleased to present “The Way of Writers: Building Worlds with Brandon Sanderson.” The day will culminate in Sanderson’s talk at 4:00 PM, which will take place in the newly restored OHS Art Deco Auditorium, a National Trust for Historical Preservation award recipient.

• Workshops 12:00-3:00
  • Break 3:00-4:00
  • Trivia in auditorium 3:30-4:00
  • Sanderson talk 4:00-5:00
  • Book signing, Trivia 5:00-6:00

There is also a website specifically for this event, with more information, here.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tsidqiyah said:

No promises that i will go through the line by the time for the signings i'll have my 1 year old with me (gotta start Sanderson obsessions young), but if i do anybody have questions they want asked?

Just pick something unanswered from the Ultimate List of Questions.  Good luck!

No promises that i will go through the line by the time for the signings i'll have my 1 year old with me (gotta start Sanderson obsessions young), but if i do anybody have questions they want asked?

@Landis963 correctly mentioned the Ultimate List, but if I may an alternative, I have my own list :) It's not organized, and is usually heavy on the spoilers, but it also includes a couple of questions meant to be asked during the open Q&A (i.e. questions that contain minimal spoilers, and have the potential to be interesting to both Sharders and muggles*).

* We really need a term equivalent to muggles, but without, you know, the Rowling influence. Drabs, maybe?

18 minutes ago, Argent said:

* We really need a term equivalent to muggles, but without, you know, the Rowling influence. Drabs, maybe?

The problem with "Drab" is that a drab is someone who has "lost" their investiture. but we need something to  refer to someone that has not yet obtained any.

But as far as in world terms "Drab" is the best i can think of so far.

Edited by Tsidqiyah

The problem with "Drab" is that a drab is someone who has "lost" their investiture. but we need something to  refer to someone that has not yet obtained any.

"Darkeyes" and "skaa" would've been really nice, but both have awesome protagonists that belong to them, it doesn't quite work... 

I suppose we could call them Mistings, under the premise that they are still awesome people (for reading and liking Brandon), but not quite as awesome as the rest of us (who read, like, and live Brandon). But I don't like it :(

I would recommend to avoid Selish questions....If as Brandon said, The Arcanum Unbound will be ansew to the "Sel's mistery". Probably it's better to not ask this kind of questions when the release is so near...It would be the risk of wasted questions .

On 9/21/2016 at 10:41 AM, Tsidqiyah said:

On 9/21/2016 at 11:47 AM, Argent said:

"Darkeyes" and "skaa" would've been really nice, but both have awesome protagonists that belong to them, it doesn't quite work... 

I suppose we could call them Mistings, under the premise that they are still awesome people (for reading and liking Brandon), but not quite as awesome as the rest of us (who read, like, and live Brandon). But I don't like it :(

Maybe the term "gnat" could be used.  Gnats are aluminum or duralumin mistings.  From what I understand they are not that useful since burning either aluminum or duralumin by themselves doesn't really yield any useful effects

"Darkeyes" and "skaa" would've been really nice, but...
I suppose we could call them Mistings...
Maybe the term "gnat" could be used...

"Uninvested" could work, especially since its non-Cosmere meaning actually says "less involved" 

I still like skaa, despite Argent's objection. Other alternatives:

• Unsnapped (emphasizing potential to become more)
  • Shades (I like how "Sharders and Shades" sounds together)
  • Hushlanders (a good one that probably won't catch on since we have fewer Alcatraz fans than Cosmere)
  • Dullforms
  • Hoed

On 9/21/2016 at 9:44 AM, Tsidqiyah said:

I would really like someone to ask if Wyrn is receiving guidance from Skai's Cognitive Shadow (or really any of the questions from this theory post of mine), but Yata makes a good point

Edited by Amanuensis

I asked him if a feruchemist were to visit Earth and tap Duralumin, could they do something as involved as talk local sports with someone?  He said No -- when you trick your spirit into thinking it's from where you're currently tapping, it's not a full transformation, like Sel-ish magic making a copy..  It doesn't just fill your head with things from the place you're visiting.  (So I guess it's more subtle, or maybe just includes the most basic foundational stuff like language?  I'm just guessing that part because I don't remember anything else being said.)

I also asked if hemalurgy could be performed anywhere in the Cosmere.  Pretty sure that's something we knew already, but I asked if anyone could do it if they knew what they were doing.  He said Yes.  So, I continued, hemalurgy is unique because not only can the power of Ruin be accessed anywhere (not just on Scadrial), but also by anyone (not just someone who's invested).  He said it is weird that way.   :-)   It is interesting: I can't think of any other Shardic power that's so universally accessible.

I might have asked him more, but I kind of felt like it would have been taking too much time, or pressing him too much...  I dunno...  Maybe I was just too nervous or star struck, and since there were only 2 other people behind me after such a long line already, I didn't want to keep him long.   :mellow: