San Antonio - Questions I asked

Paladin Brewer

Genius! Next time, I'm going to stand there and every time someone says they have no questions, I'll throw on my best Herdazian accent and say, "Gancho, what my cousin here means is he would like to defer his turn to me. Now a Realmatic puzzler I've been stewing on is…"

To Paladin Brewer: an upvote and a thank you. Awesome questions!

and there are forces purposely trying to limit Harmony's knowledge.

This, I think, is an honest to God Beyond genuine new piece of information. Also - a really scary one.  Implications galore.

9) It there a link between Trell and Nalt from Mistborn and Nu Ralik and Van Makik from Stormborn?
"No, there isn't, maybe just tenuously." He said something like that. He seemed confused that I asked that.

never liked this theory, so I am glad that Brandon chose to put a couple of nails in its coffin. Thanks for asking this question!

10) Was aluminum used in the shattering of Adonalsium in any way?
RAFO

I have a nagging suspision that most of Adonalsium shattering questions from now on are RAFO. )-:

PS: if you are going again, I have three questions (one of which I mentioned quite a bit elsewhere, sorry for repeats):

1. What would Hoid think of Ym's religion?

2. If a Shard's Vessel dies and drops a body and two people step in to take up the power, what would happen?

3. Based on what we have seen of Cosmere so far, some Shards are very important to what is going on in the world and to the core Cosmere story.  Are there Shards that are not  and will not be important? Are any of them still whole?

Wow, that's quite some questions you've asked, Paladin Brewer. An upvote for you, you've come to the forum with some nice "hello" gift  ;) 

I'm having a mounting suspicion that aluminium is indeed what's used as Shardblade-protector, and frankly, I agree with emailanimal's opinion on Trell/Nu Ralik. The fact that there are forces trying to limit Harmony's knowledge is... interesting, in the "may you have interesting times" kind of way. Seems like more than one being is not happy about the new kid on the block. Also, may I pipe in with a question for signing, if you're looking for something to ask? 

Is Threnody in the same planetary system as Sel? If not, is it close?

Oooh, I've got my fingers crossed for a Marsh Secret History. His life in the 300 years between the Catacendre and The Alloy of Law.

But if we are piling questions on the poor soul, I have something sitting on my backlog for some time now:

• How was Ruin planning on re-absorbing the Lord Ruler's atium cache?

I find the answer about Hoid not taking the second bead to be mind boggling. Though the answer clearly meant that Hoid knew a bead was needed for Elend, it also implies that Hoid took the first bead for some future event. Perhaps he hasn't consumed the bead, or perhaps this is more fuel for the theory about him only consuming part of it, because the implication is that the bead will be necessary later on.

I find the answer about Hoid not taking the second bead to be mind boggling. Though the answer clearly meant that Hoid knew a bead was needed for Elend, it also implies that Hoid took the first bead for some future event. Perhaps he hasn't consumed the bead, or perhaps this is more fuel for the theory about him only consuming part of it, because the implication is that the bead will be necessary later on.

I assume Hoid is talking about the bead as "the element" in his Stormlight letter:

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

And another thought, if the bead is important, why not take both? Why would he care about Elend? He told Dalinar he'd let his whole planet die, or something to that effect, if it aligned with his purpose.  Unless Hoid can see into the future that he knew Elend needed to die later to spur Vin.

I assume Hoid is talking about the bead as "the element" in his Stormlight letter:

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

Yes, but an easy interpretation would be that he's consumed it. Others believe that he's keeping the bead beneath his skin. There were a lot of theories at the time.

And another thought, if the bead is important, why not take both? Why would he care about Elend? He told Dalinar he'd let his whole planet die, or something to that effect, if it aligned with his purpose.  Unless Hoid can see into the future that he knew Elend needed to die later to spur Vin.

Because Elend was necessary to the fall of Ruin and rise of Harmony, an event that will no doubt be incredibly important later on. Which Hoid would know of the importance, therefore leaving the bead so that Elend would live long enough to play his part.

Oh I know Elend was important to the fall of Ruin...but, how does Hoid know this? I wonder how far into the future he can see, and he can see, and why he can see these things. Le sigh, I can ask questions about Hoid all day.

Well we know he doesn't foresee events, so he didn't know exactly why Elend was important for example, but we know he has means of discerning what will be important later on. Brandon has confirmed it uses Feruchemy, if I'm remembering my WoBs correctly.

Edited by Blaze1616

14) In Way of Kings SYl leaves Kaladin before he means Hoid because she gets a bad feeling, did this have to do with Hoid himself or something unrelated?

That's not actually what happened... Syl didn't leave just before he saw Hoid because of "a bad feeling," she left quite a while ago, because Kaladin had just realized he was Radiant and that it was her fault, and he screamed at her and told her to go away. He's still in the lumberyard at the time, then he goes off by himself for a while, and only after walking some distance does he come across Hoid.

She comes back right after Hoid leaves, and her explanation for not returning sooner is, "You seemed to be enjoying his story and I didn't want to interrupt." We can guess that she was lying (though we know how she feels about lies) and make the conscious decision to assume it was something more... but that seems out of character for her and very unlikely.

Well, the reasonable line of thought is that his purpose does not require two beads of lerasium, but can benefit from Elend who is live and kicking.

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in knowing whether this is what he needs to do to achieve his own goals, or whether this is what he NEEDS to do, as in compelleed to do for whatever reason.

I wish I could remember his exact wording at this point :) Though I don't know how in depth we can look into Sanderson's exact wording at these things, I imagine he is tired and rushed.  Next time though I'm recording.