The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

I've got some.

Cosmere Questions-

1. Is the Dor the same as the Power of Creation that powers allomancy?

2. Confirm Genders for us for the sake of clarity. Aona is a girl, Skai is a boy, and the cognitive mind of Endowment is a girl, Right?

3. Is the interaction between shards and magic similar on Sel and Scadrial? (Is there a "Power Gain" (Aons/Allomancy), a "Power from self" (ClayShan/Feurchemy), and a "Power from others" (Dahkor/Hemalurgy)

4. Can you give us a clear definition of Splinter? Right now my definition is a "object" that holds a bit of a shard's power in it. You have said before that Returned's divine breath are Splinters. Are Seons splinters? Are Lerasium and Atium splinters? (I tend to say yes to the first and no to the second)

5. Did Sel's early magic users have Aona's help building Elantris?

6. Is Endowment's name Edgli?

WoK-

7. Is the black sphere that Szeth is given by Gavilar similar in ways to Lerasium/Atium? (Condensed power of a god)

8. Is Blunt (first interlude with the Dula) from Nalthis (Warbreaker world)?

9. Are there "special appearances" (aka World Hoppers) from anyone in the prologue?

10. Finally, a question you will be able to answer. I finally realized what (really) makes the mistborn books different from Warbreaker. Mistborn almost always has a enemy. First it's Lord Ruler, then its the armies, and then it is Ruin. Warbreaker, on the other hand, never has a super strong enemy that the heroes are working together to defeat. Was this intentional?

Are there waffles in the Final Empire?

Can Mistwraiths be taught how to play fetch?

If the Skaze are evil seons, does that mean they have mustaches and goatees?

Sazed, after taking both shards of Ruin and Preservation, was able to bring people back to life, fix the world, and make Spook a full Mistborn. Was he able to un-eunich himself?

Should Eric put a spoiler tag on this thread?

THIS! IS! GENERAL! THEORIES! /300voice

*ahem*

You don't need a spoiler tag.

This is probably one that you guys can answer, but how exactly does TLR's immortality trick work? Burning Atium lets you see into the future, but burning Atium that you've stored in does what exactly? Does it make your foresight better? But how does that translate into more energy to be stored in more Atium? This question also applies to the other metals.

What happens if you hemalurgically spike an animal?

The Allomantic metals are structured a specific way, but Hemalurgy seems to order them a different way. Does Feruchemy follow the Allomantic structure or have it's own structure like Hemalurgy? I don't mean this like how they're divided into four sets of four, just that the metals in each quarter are different.

Also, we know, or can surmise, the functions of three of the quadrants in Hemalurgy, but what's the fourth?

Can I hang out with you?

Atium stores age, and when you burn it, it gives you a massive amount of age. Thus, you can stay young for the rest of your life. I don't think you even get the allomantic powers from a burned feruchemical storage; when Vin tried it, she experienced the same thing a Keeper experiences when trying to tap another Keeper's powers.

I'd note that I won't be putting in questions that already have an answer (except for RAFO questions, which I will mark with RAFO). I'll answer any such questions the best I can.

Basically, I want to minimize the fluff and get the very best questions we can possibly come up with.

Yes, I am going to critique the questions. If, after I object, you still want a given question answered, I'll put it in the list.

I've got some.

Cosmere Questions-

1. Is the Dor the same as the Power of Creation that powers allomancy?

2. Confirm Genders for us for the sake of clarity. Aona is a girl, Skai is a boy, and the cognitive mind of Endowment is a girl, Right?

3. Is the interaction between shards and magic similar on Sel and Scadrial? (Is there a "Power Gain" (Aons/Allomancy), a "Power from self" (ClayShan/Feurchemy), and a "Power from others" (Dahkor/Hemalurgy)

4. Can you give us a clear definition of Splinter? Right now my definition is a "object" that holds a bit of a shard's power in it. You have said before that Returned's divine breath are Splinters. Are Seons splinters? Are Lerasium and Atium splinters? (I tend to say yes to the first and no to the second)

5. Did Sel's early magic users have Aona's help building Elantris?

6. Is Endowment's name Edgli?

WoK-

7. Is the black sphere that Szeth is given by Gavilar similar in ways to Lerasium/Atium? (Condensed power of a god)

8. Is Blunt (first interlude with the Dula) from Nalthis (Warbreaker world)?

9. Are there "special appearances" (aka World Hoppers) from anyone in the prologue?

10. Finally, a question you will be able to answer. I finally realized what (really) makes the mistborn books different from Warbreaker. Mistborn almost always has a enemy. First it's Lord Ruler, then its the armies, and then it is Ruin. Warbreaker, on the other hand, never has a super strong enemy that the heroes are working together to defeat. Was this intentional?

1. I can still put this in the list, if you'd like, but maybe I can help illuminate you. I think of it that there are sixteen fragments of Adonalsium--the power of creation. So, I'm finding your question a little vague. Brandon could answer with "It's the power of creation, but a different fragment of it", since its obviously a different Shard responsible. Or he could be really clever and say "No, it's not the same power of creation", being coy and referring to the fact that different Shards have a different portion of that power of creation.

2. Where'd you get the idea that Endowment's Shardholder is a girl? Unless you have a rigorous objection to me rephrasing it to "Endowment's Shardholder" instead of "cognitive mind of Endowment" (which is redundant, really), I'd like to make that change.

3. Putting it in the list for now (with editing the name ClayShan-> ChayShan, which someone helpfully noted in a different topic), but this needs to be discussed in the Elantris magics thread. ChayShan doesn't fuel from the body, I think, because it draws upon an external source to boost his strength. This suggests to me that ChayShan is pretty different from Feruchemy. But that's something to discuss later.

4. Want me to edit your definition of Splinter to say "a large portion of a Shard"? Under your current definition, everyone on Scadrial is a Splinter, since they have bits of Preservation and Ruin inside. Size makes a difference.

6. RAFO'd.

Are there waffles in the Final Empire?

Can Mistwraiths be taught how to play fetch?

If the Skaze are evil seons, does that mean they have mustaches and goatees?

Sazed, after taking both shards of Ruin and Preservation, was able to bring people back to life, fix the world, and make Spook a full Mistborn. Was he able to un-eunich himself?

Should Eric put a spoiler tag on this thread?

I'm making a Silly section of questions just for you, Will.

Silus is right. Virtually every topic in this forum has spoilers to everything, so I'm not requiring anyone use them here.

1. This is probably one that you guys can answer, but how exactly does TLR's immortality trick work? Burning Atium lets you see into the future, but burning Atium that you've stored in does what exactly? Does it make your foresight better? But how does that translate into more energy to be stored in more Atium? This question also applies to the other metals.

2. What happens if you hemalurgically spike an animal?

3. The Allomantic metals are structured a specific way, but Hemalurgy seems to order them a different way. Does Feruchemy follow the Allomantic structure or have it's own structure like Hemalurgy? I don't mean this like how they're divided into four sets of four, just that the metals in each quarter are different.

4. Also, we know, or can surmise, the functions of three of the quadrants in Hemalurgy, but what's the fourth?

5. Can I hang out with you?

1. Answered below.

3. You think they are structured differently? How do you figure? Every Hemalurgic property steals from its respective quadrants. You don't have aluminum stealing Allomantic abilities that are outside of the Enhancement quadrant. Physical metals steal physical properties. I think you're seeing something that doesn't exist...

4. This is always a good one to reiterate.

But that doesn't apply to the Lord Ruler because he's the one who stored it. So burning your feruchemical storage gives you a massive burst of the feruchemical attribute? What about with brass? TLR was able to Sooth on a massive scale, did that come from a similar trick?

But that doesn't apply to the Lord Ruler because he's the one who stored it. So burning your feruchemical storage gives you a massive burst of the feruchemical attribute? What about with brass? TLR was able to Sooth on a massive scale, did that come from a similar trick?

Think of the age trick like this. Feruchemy stores your own power. Allomancy draws power from Preservation. Thus, burning your Feruchemical storage not only gives you the power you stored, but also extremely augmented, since Preservation's power is enhancing it.

What about brass? Well, since Soothing is not a Feruchemical power, then that argument does not apply. I'd imagine the Lord Ruler is a brass savant, for one thing (it's pretty much a given, considering how long he burned it). Brandon also said in the annotations that the Lord Ruler used Hemalurgy to pull off his most astonishing tricks, so that could have something to do with it.

Well, you have four metals that steal human attributes(iron, tin, zinc and copper), four that steal allomantic abilities(steel, bronze, aluminum and maybe gold) and (presumably) four that steal feruchemical powers (pewter, brass and two others) and then...nothing. Four are left unaccounted for in any way. What's up with that?

Well, you have four metals that steal human attributes(iron, tin, zinc and copper), four that steal allomantic abilities(steel, bronze, aluminum and maybe gold) and (presumably) four that steal feruchemical powers (pewter, brass and two others) and then...nothing. Four are left unaccounted for in any way. What's up with that?

He obviously must not want to reveal it yet. Still, I'd be willing to put money that they correspond to the same quadrants as in the Table of Allomantic Metals.

I'm pretty sure the animal hemalurgy has an answer. I'll try to dig it up.

Also, Chaos, yeah, all the edits are fine. I think Endowment is a girl just from the two word description we have of the Voice. "Caring and Gentle". Generally more feminine traits. Plus, I think that Cultivation needs a friend ;)

Found Hemalurgy answer! HoA Q&A-

Would Hemalurgy work on animals?

5. Yes, it would.

He obviously must not want to reveal it yet. Still, I'd be willing to put money that they correspond to the same quadrants as in the Table of Allomantic Metals.

Except that they don't. In the physical quarter you've got two that steal human attributes, one that steals Allomantic power and one that steals Feruchemical power. I'd be inclined to agree with you if one from the unaccounted for group was in there but it isn't.

Also, Chaos, yeah, all the edits are fine. I think Endowment is a girl just from the two word description we have of the Voice. "Caring and Gentle". Generally more feminine traits. Plus, I think that Cultivation needs a friend ;)

I'm always in favor of making leading questions like that :D

Except that they don't. In the physical quarter you've got two that steal human attributes, one that steals Allomantic power and one that steals Feruchemical power. I'd be inclined to agree with you if one from the unaccounted for group was in there but it isn't.

Right. They steal physical Allomantic powers, physical Feruchemical powers, and physical human attributes.

There is one Allomantic stealing and one Feruchemical stealing metal per quadrant. This already seems to be the case with Temporal and Enhancement. Your four missing ones are actually distributed in different quadrants. For all you know, they are just additional human stealing ones that Brandon hadn't decided upon yet (nor did the characters know yet).

You forgot about my questions!

Also, I think Endowment is a guy. Although there does need to be more female Shardholders.

No I didn't! As you can see, they are up on the list ;) Yours didn't need any comments.

I also tend to believe Endowment is a guy. But that doesn't mean we can't ask leading questions.

Size makes a difference.

*snicker*

I'd imagine the Lord Ruler is a brass savant, for one thing (it's pretty much a given, considering how long he burned it). Brandon also said in the annotations that the Lord Ruler used Hemalurgy to pull off his most astonishing tricks, so that could have something to do with it.

I like the savant explanation (I even think Brandon mentioned that somewhere); I think we can leave Feruchemy out of this. Combining that with duralumin (which no one but tLR was supposed to know about) should account for . Really, tLR's power came from the knowledge he withheld. (dang Preservation grumble)

I've got an old(er) batch of questions that I meant to ask for the Tor Q&A.

Where do Kelsier and Marsh get their nobility from? I know that Marsh snapped after obligators got their Mom, so I assume it's from their father? Or are they second generation?

Is there some reason that both Vin and Kelsier are half-skaa, half-nobleman, both are quite skilled at allomancy, both end up overthrowing the Lord Ruler, and have siblings that are seekers? Was Kelsier Ruin's 'back-up' plan? Or was he Preservation's?

Why (from a writer's perspective) are the gods in your novels are gods instead of Gods?

Are the Arch-people (the assumed Heralds in the epigraph arches) representing people? or magics? (probably RAFO'd)

How come you never had Elend burn Gold? How would that affect him since he's a Lerasium-Mistborn?

I've got an old(er) batch of questions that I meant to ask for the Tor Q&A.

1. Where do Kelsier and Marsh get their nobility from? I know that Marsh snapped after obligators got their Mom, so I assume it's from their father? Or are they second generation?

2. Is there some reason that both Vin and Kelsier are half-skaa, half-nobleman, both are quite skilled at allomancy, both end up overthrowing the Lord Ruler, and have siblings that are seekers? Was Kelsier Ruin's 'back-up' plan? Or was he Preservation's?

3. Why (from a writer's perspective) are the gods in your novels are gods instead of Gods?

4. Are the Arch-people (the assumed Heralds in the epigraph arches) representing people? or magics? (probably RAFO'd)

5. How come you never had Elend burn Gold? How would that affect him since he's a Lerasium-Mistborn?

2. Kelsier has siblings? :P I thought Mare was the Seeker. Mare is not Kelsier's sister.

Marsh is a seeker too. Remember? He trains Vin?

Right. I'm a moron.

EDIT: This is, in fact, the most idiotic thing I have said all year. Go me.

Edited by Chaos

[Most of these are Elantris-related. I apologize for my fixation :)]

Here are some of my questions that Brandon RAFOed during the last open call for questions:

- Can Returned have children? If so, who was the first Returned to do so?

- How did Wyrn see into the future?

Here are some that Brandon didn't answer from the last open call:

- Regarding Dilaf's flashback: Did the 'spell' that messed his wife up go wrong because of human error? Or was it because Dilaf was, in some way, inadvertently interfering?

- If a Dhakor (Dilaf) could erase a symbol written by an Elantrian (Raoden), could an Elantrian erase/heal a Dhakor bone-symbol?

- Is Jesker and/or the Mysteries simply another religion? Or do they have DulaDor (as opposed to AonDor, FjorDor, and JinDor, as I refer to them in my head)?

- (probably another RAFO) the "expensive, burning rocks from the south:" are they parallel to Atium/Larasium/TearsoE?

- Ashe says to Sarene "your god" (emphasis added). Do seons have a religion/god?

- Were mistcloaks inspired by the funeral shrouds in Elantris?

- You've said that, at the end of the trilogy, Kelsier had become a Sliver (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/264132-q-a-with-brandon-sanderson?page=2). When did this happen and how? Did Sazed just go "here ya go, buddy; here's a bit of my power for ya," or was it something more subtle/universal?

[Note: I feel like someone here may know the answer to that one]

Here are some that I posted on TWG almost a year ago:

- What is the other oval on the mural supposed to depict? (not the blue lake oval, but the second, white sphere). If it's a realm, which is it?

- Why can Elantrians heal while Dakhor can't? Does this conflict with the fact that FjorDor is able to keep Hrathen alive past when he should be dead (p. 609)?

- What happened to Iadon "over the last few years" (p. 151) that made him less of a man? Was it just the pressure of his duties, his paranoia, the Mysteries? If the Mysteries: was it just the act of killing people, or was it something Dor-ish about the Mysteries?

- Why was AonDor forbidden around the pool ascent? If the pool is the essence of AonDor, why can’t the power be used near it? Why is it located outside of the city (over an hour away), which is presumably the center of AonDor’s power? Is of a different essence than AonDor or is the pool the real center of the power and the city a red herring? [I know we've discussed this thoroughly here, but it can't hurt to have it ready to ask]

And here are some that I've thought of so far during my re-read:

- Why did Ien hang around Raoden when, typically, Reod-ed Seons avoid people? If it's the same reason that the Dor decided to build a 'bridge' through Raoden, then why weren't all Seons drawn to him? What was different about Ien?

- Ashe says “We had nothing to do with the fall of the city. There is nothing to fear from a Seon. I wish… But , well, that is irrelevant.” What was he going to say? What does he wish?

[That one will clearly be RAFOed, but hey]

- How many monastaries are there in Fjordell empire? Are there any specialty monasteries other than the 3 mentioned?

- It's said that the Shaod usually comes at night. Does it always come at night? If so, why?

- Elantrians more flammable than the average person (p. 258). Is this more related to the Shaod or the Reod (i.e. - is this a symptom of being an Elantrian or a symptom of being half-transformed)?

- What happened 300-ish years ago in Fjorden? The empire collapsed and they adopted Shu-Dereth (42, 487): was this natural or somehow Shard/Splinter-related?

- What happened 100-ish years ago in Fjorden? Why does no one have any info on Fjorden in the past century? (p. 476)

- What happened in Teod 50 years ago that made them banish Derethi priests?

Awesome questions, Puck. I do know the answer to one of them.

You've said that, at the end of the trilogy, Kelsier had become a Sliver (http://www.goodreads...anderson?page=2). When did this happen and how? Did Sazed just go "here ya go, buddy; here's a bit of my power for ya," or was it something more subtle/universal?

It was actually right after Preservation died. Kelsier took up Preservation's power for just a little bit, until Vin took it. So when Spook hear's one of Kelsier's voices near the end of his segment, that's because the real Kelsier actually talked to him.

Shards have to have a mind attached to them, you see, and Kelsier took Preservation for a bit.